facial waxing help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

siana

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I wonder if someone could help. I qualified in waxing just under a year ago and do this very part time from my home studio along with man/ped. Since qualifying I have done loads of half legs/u/arms/bikini but never chins, top lips and eyebrows. Today I have had 2 ladies book in for lip/chin/eyebrow and I have worked myself up into a right state over it as I haven't done any since I qualified. Would someone be prepared to give me the lowdown/correct techniques/ pitfalls etc. I have my college notes but being given advice from someone who does this every day would be a great help.

Thanks,

Siana

Ok make sure you do a thorough consultation before, ensuring that they do not have hyper or hypo sensitive skin.

Pre-wax the area.

For the top lip get them to put their tongue over their teeth and under their lip and push out with their toungue.

Use your hand to pull the skin on their cheek and top lip towards their chin then apply the wax with the hair growth, usually from the top of the lip to the outer edge of the lip, DO NOT REMOVE YOUR HAND or the skin will return to its original position. Put on the strip fabric or paper and pull towards the centre of the lip. Remember afterwax.

For the chin this depends on the hair growth, get them to pull their lip upwards and poke out their chin. Pull the skin down toward the neck without pressing too hard or you may choke them apply the wax in the direction of the hair growth.

The most imporant thing is to stretch the skin as tight as you can so as not to bruise the client. Get them to help as much as they can.

Hope this helps.

Trish :hug:

hi hun, id say the same as above, and also make sure the wax isnt to hot
but not to cool or thick either, especially on the eyebrows cos if the wax is to cool or thick it can bruise. but if u hold the skin taught and make sure the wax temp is ok then u cant go to wrong.
try not to worry though a few more eyebrow waxes and it'll be second nature!
:) xx

I know just how you feel. The first time I had a booking for a chin and neck wax I got to the point where I wasn't even sleeping properly for worry!!

But in all honesty it turned out to be easier than doing eyebrows (which I love doing).

After applying a very thin layer of oil to the area I put the wax on in fairly small areas at a time. Another way to stretch the skin is to put your index and middle finger either side of the wax and stretch apart, remove using a small piece of paper/linen.

Good luck.:hug:

stay calm hun and you will be fine

don't forget to give them aftercare advice

Another little tip I could give you is not to take the wax too far into the corner of the mouth as it is very easy to scab this area. If there are hairs right in the corner, just pluck them. I know it sounds obvious, but I've had it done to me before! :( xx

Thanks everyone - this has been a great help and much appreciated. Will print this off and add to my notes!

Siana

hi siana
i do facial waxing regularly. to do the chin as normal just apply the waxing the in the direction of the hair growth but when removing with the strips use smaller strips and pull away in the opposite direction. taut the skin.
as for the eyebrows, in your consultation get the client to tell you what shape their after. apply thin layer (do it in small sections to get a nice shape) again just taut skin, any remaining hairs pluck them out!
its really easy - you'll be fine :O)

If the hair on the lip does not all come off-dont re-wax it.It can take away too much skin,especially on older clients.Try to apply the wax the first time over all hair on the lip,and take it off in a couple of sections.I have always used talc on the skin before the wax,as the wax does not stick then to the skin -only the hair.Other people have suggested a small amount of oil works in the same way.
Try to keep the lip wax ,as close as you can to the lip area only.Nobody wants the waxed area to extend too far onto the cheek,if you know what i mean?

I would agree with most of the advice given already, i personally don't use pre wax on facial areas just a cotton pad soaked in purified water, for brows i use index finger and middle finger to pull the brow taught then apply and remove the hair under the brow shape i want then i do a little removal above and to the outer side if required then same on the other side. then the middle area.
i never re-wax on facial areas. tweeze any straglers
For lips same prep and then using same two fingers get the skin taught on one side apply wax and remove diagonally upwards, althought alot of the time hair is growing down if you pull straight up it can cause alot of discomfort and yank the lip a bit, repeat on other side.
with chin just remember to try and avoid waxing over too many curves i tend to do the chin in two sections.
after any of the treatments i apply aloe vera gel to soothe.
I find that lip waxing can cause more of a delicate reation than the others so i will generally pop a cold damp cotton pad over the area for 30 secs to cool down prior to putting aloe gel on.
hth:) its a good three treatments to get confident in, they are so popular.xx

Hello everyone,

I wonder if someone could help. I qualified in waxing just under a year ago and do this very part time from my home studio along with man/ped. Since qualifying I have done loads of half legs/u/arms/bikini but never chins, top lips and eyebrows. Today I have had 2 ladies book in for lip/chin/eyebrow and I have worked myself up into a right state over it as I haven't done any since I qualified. Would someone be prepared to give me the lowdown/correct techniques/ pitfalls etc. I have my college notes but being given advice from someone who does this every day would be a great help.

Thanks,

Siana

So how did it go? Feedback would be great!:lol:

I would agree with most of the advice given already, i personally don't use pre wax on facial areas just a cotton pad soaked in purified water, for brows i use index finger and middle finger to pull the brow taught then apply and remove the hair under the brow shape i want then i do a little removal above and to the outer side if required then same on the other side. then the middle area.
i never re-wax on facial areas. tweeze any straglers
For lips same prep and then using same two fingers get the skin taught on one side apply wax and remove diagonally upwards, althought alot of the time hair is growing down if you pull straight up it can cause alot of discomfort and yank the lip a bit, repeat on other side.
with chin just remember to try and avoid waxing over too many curves i tend to do the chin in two sections.
after any of the treatments i apply aloe vera gel to soothe.
I find that lip waxing can cause more of a delicate reation than the others so i will generally pop a cold damp cotton pad over the area for 30 secs to cool down prior to putting aloe gel on.
hth:) its a good three treatments to get confident in, they are so popular.xx

Nice idea about the cool cotton pad over the lip area after waxing, bet that is very soothing, will try this! Thanks for sharing.x

ADiva1 - I will let you know how it goes but the appointments have been made for 9th April - 6 weeks after her final appointment with her current therapist. I know this is ages away but I want to be prepared! Her current therapist is someone I vaguely know who runs her business from her dining room but is giving up and the lovely lady is passing her existing clients my number! This is why I want to be fully prepared. I dont want to cock up and loose them as they have regular 6 weekly appointment and I love re-bookers plus a great opportunity for me. I have only been going just over a year so really need these new clients.

Thanks for all the advice - I am roping some friends in to practice on using all your top tips!

Out of interest - Is it ok waxing top lip/chin if there isn't really anything to wax? It's just that the friends who are being my guinea pigs dont have much there and they are worried that waxing it will give them a beard or something!!! It won't stimulate hair growth will it? I've never been too clear on this point.

Thanks everyone,

Siana

Latest posts

Back