Fat thumb with very wide short nails - has anyone come across these before?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my thumbs is like this.
I am surprised by the number of "professionals" who have never heard of this condition before. Surely you learn about nail disorders/abnormalities?
It's not very professional to make fun of your clients' nails. It is a genetic condition that people are born with.
A nail tech I went to once made fun of mine and I never went back to her.

Well said, Amber.

Megan Fox was widely ridiculed when people discovered her condition, the NY Times going so far as to devote an entire article to her "imperfection". Others called her 'deformed'. I find such behaviour appalling.

There are many types of Brachydactyly. The term 'clubbed' is applied only to one type. The hand isn't the only body part affected. And yes it can be related to medical problems.

Well said, Amber.

Megan Fox was widely ridiculed when people discovered her condition, the NY Times going so far as to devote an entire article to her "imperfection". Others called her 'deformed'. I find such behaviour appalling.

There are many types of Brachydactyly. The term 'clubbed' is applied only to one type. The hand isn't the only body part affected. And yes it can be related to medical problems.

Yep. Some people are just born with things.
If someone who, say, had a scar from cleft palate surgery, came to one of these "professionals" for make-up, would they be laughed at for that too?
It's just as well these "professionals" didn't go into the medical or dental profession eh?

Yep - I've seen these too. I gave a mani to a lady who called them her toe thumbs and her mum has the same - I seem to remember they even said Grandma had them too.

Hello this is my first post and I thought I would let you know its called a Potters thumb. So called as it was thought these thumbs were great for turning pots on a potters wheel!!

Ok, so I know Wiki's not always totally reliable, but there are some (not brilliant, but possibly useful to someone) images here for those that might not have seen this before...

Clubbed thumb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although I have seen it lots of times - not at all uncommon. Xx

I would sculpt all her nails - it is easier and you are not fussing with tips. The nails also feel so much more natural to the client.:idea:

Morning peeps!

I thought i'd pop this thread on as it's been bugging me for awhile.

Over the past 3 years since i've been 'doing nails' i have come across a handfull of people with a kind of odd, bulbous thumb on either one or both hands. All other fingers and nails are normal.:!:

This thumb has always got a very wide nail which is always short, i wish i'd taken a pic of my last client last week who had thie condition on on hand.
So far my tip & overlay has stayed on ok.

The shape of the thumb is always the same on everyone. A lady who's daughter and husband had thumbs like it called it 'Cello Thumb' as in the musical instrument.

Has anyone any idea what i'm talking about ???? Or come accross it?
I have the same These thumbs are quite unusual but that is what make people and me special in our own way I call these thumbs the "love thumb" it makes us,us.

Hi i have exactly the same as the pic of megan fox and yes i sucked my thumb so thats what mine was caused by. I am very surprised by the professionals on this site talking about their clients in this such way making fun of their clients. I agree with Amber on this one!

This thread is ten years old so the original posters are probably no longer around

Yes these thumbs might be weird but,not much people have these strange thumbs.I'm one of them,its not a bad thing that is what makes us unique in our own way.-mind morgan

Latest posts

Back