Favorite method of application

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The prefered method of enhancing

• Other... (um... like what did I miss duh?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Natural nail overlays

Votes: 38 9.8%
  • Sculpting on a form

Votes: 133 34.4%
  • Tip and overlays

Votes: 216 55.8%

• Total voters
Hiya,

I really really like sculpting, i had allways done tip and overlay and just used forms for remedial sculpting as i was a little nervous about doing a full set of sculpts, that is untill i had a 1-2-1 with GMG and really i wasnt that bad anyway!!!! so sculpting for me, then tip & overlay then overlays

Amanda

I always preferred tip and overlay coz putting the forms on drove me mad, but I had to practice for my masters and now find I enjoy doing sculpts. I must admit that at the moment my tip and overlays still look better, but I'm sure this will change over time (well, I hope so)

Majority of our clients take our advice....so our rule is....if client wants to wear enamel ALL the time - natural tip and overlay (enamel does look better when not on a white tip or sculpt)....all the rest - SCULPT!

MUCH faster, more natural looking, client doesn't FEEL the enhancements, stronger, less chance of client 'picking' and also, we find that clients who wear tips do this thing where they put the tip in their mouth sideways (sidewalls touching teeth) and 'bite down' causing the tip to crack from free edge to zone 2....why? who knows? Doesn't seem to happen with clients who wear sculpts!

Sculps are also easier to repair, ESPECIALLY if the free edge has broken off but zone 2 and 3 remain.

Fiona W.

I love doing tips and overlays...because I can't sculpt worth...two dead flies!!

Sculpting hands down! Its so much easier, so much more cost effective, i enjoy it more than tipping, and the look and feel afterwards, well my clients prefer them sculpted too!

When I trained, I had to pass sculpting first and foremost as tips and overlays were considered a necessary but secondary service. I quickly found that ditching the horseshoe form was the best thing I'd done and with daily practise (finding people to practise on was a problem, though), it didn't take me long to get the hang of it.

I won't comment regarding whether tips are stronger than sculpts are stronger because I think that's like comparing Coke to Pepsi - both are made differently and work different but ultimately achieve the same aim. I've worn and worked with both and both work equally well. I believe nail bed preparation is the be all and end all of good nail application, regardless.

While I provide both services, I find that clients ask for T&O, even when I promote my sculpting service. Perhaps this is a cultural thing, I don't know but, either way, I like both. It makes no difference to me at all.

Aligirl said:
'If you can see your nails, then I can't - and right now you're paying me to look at them!'

I love that quote - think I'll have to get that printed as a sign!! It's sooooo anoying when clients do that!

Meant to say I love sculpting so much more that using tips - it's so much quicker and easier once you've got the hang of the forms!

Although I am still in the middle of my training with Anthony at Ezflow Bolton, I find I am enjoying sculpting far more than tips.
I think this is because I am wary of over blending the tips. And the difficulty I have with sizing.
But as I have said I am still training so I will be practicing both.

I am afraid i have to go with the majority of sculpters. I have mastered the art of sculpting. I can get them as thin as i want them to be. It all comes down to the product your using too. I started off scultiing with gels but I much prefer sculting with with L& P now so much faster and I just lurve getting my girlfriend out for that final glass shine - perfect.

so much more cost effective, I always end up with the same sized tips as left-overs as they dont seem to fit anyone

I picked Tips and overlays because that is what was pushed when I was going to school....but they also taught sculpts though ......when I first started out t&o were just easier.....but every now and again I would like to test myself and do sculpts ....I have found a love for both equally .....depends on the client and what there needs are .....the only thing I ever learned that I really hate and refuse to do to this day are paper wraps! everything eles I love....:)

I want to perfect sculpting though - from what I understand it is a much quicker method of working:green:

Love sculpting. quicker, stronger, no sizing or blending tips. (gel sculpting this is) not so confident in l & p sculpting. Would love to master though. Any offers, my friends seem to have all run when it comes to l & p!!!:rolleyes: xx

I Love Tips And Overlay I Find Them So Much Easier And Quicker And Thinner. It Takes Me About 45 Mins To An Hour For Tips And Bout Hour And Half For Sculpt! And I Hate Fitting Forms!

:eek: IM HAVING TROUBLE APPLYING NAIL FORMS IVE BEEN TRYING TO GET IT RIGHT BUT SEEM TO GET IT UNDER THE NAIL AS WELL AND HAVE GREAT DIFFICULTY WITH FLAT NAILS ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE :)

i love doing natural nail overlays

tips can be tricky but i can't wait to learn sculpting

Havent had a set of nails that said no to sculpting yet... all thou I am CND I cant stand their performance Forms... I find unless the nail is a gentle C curve I have to tailor them as they only come in the one shape... I much prefer Ezy Flow Forms and Tammy Taylor Competition forms since they come in square, oval and round 98% of the time they fit straight on without hassle.

Sculpting is where I started, it's where I'll stay, but I have noticed it is a personal preference. My nails only class is a 50/50 split tip and sculpt. It's interesting to watch them develop their own style and comfort level. One of the girls caught on to tips, sizing, pre blending and application took her 1 1/2 hours, one of the others sculpting took 1 hour 15 min. Keep in mind these girls have been in school for only 6 weeks. If these two switched and the "tip girl" did sculpts it would take her about 4 hours. Same for the "sculpt girl". It really is what you are most comfortable with.

Tips and overlay! By all means for me it is quicker and easier. At one time I loved to sculpt, but then the time that invested in one client could have have easily been two! I practiced on different friends and family members until the art of overlay became like second nature.:green:

:)
In the salon.... what is it that you love to do the most (enhancment wise) and why?

Sculpting... cause its faster?
Tips cause they are easier and better looking at longer lengths?
Natural nail overalys... cause they are just plain simple?

:)For me only sculpting.....stronger then tips

Latest posts

Back