Fed up, need advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vickylea

Reaction score
I Am currently half way through my level 3 nail tech course and have done a couple of sets but I feel defeated already. The nails always seem to come out uneven or something goes wrong. How long does it take to get to a decent standard and for you to be happy with your work. Getting me down. Feel like I won't pass with my current portfolio case studies

I've done about 12 clients and about 20 sets on my nail trainer and I'm just about feeling like they look decent. As long as you are learning from every set you do then you are heading in the right direction. How many clients have you done? Xx

Oh Vicky, please don't be disheartened. It can take a long time to produce beautiful and consistent results; it simply is a matter of (perfect) practice makes perfect. It can take even longer to be happy with your own work, even when clients are delighted.

I recently sent a client away and in my head everything had gone wrong; the room was warm and my acrylic set VERY quickly and I as getting quite hot and bothered myself. In my head, they were over thick and not shaped as I would have liked. When she returned for a rebalanced after three weeks, I was actually quite dreading seeing them again! Imagine my surprise to see that they were pretty much perfect and all that had to be done was reducing the length and replacing the apex. In fact, the only thing that wasn't perfect with them was the chip on the thumb where she had gotten over-drunk and stumbled from a pair of killer heels.

Do you have a nail trainer?

It's normal to feel this way. Seriously just keep going :)

Just a bit frustrated though. I need to find so many people to do portfolio treatments. Have to do 40 within 2 and half months :( . All i have is crappy student supplies that arent very good quality and i am only allowed to hand file. Im struggling to reduce acrylic bumps and get it flush to the side walls and cuticle with a simple hand file. Did you all have to go through this

Hi there, you might feel like giving up at times but you have to keep pushing through. I qualified back in November and I'm still struggling to get going. I need to invest in marketing as I'm from Leeds so know no one where I live (Crowle in Worcester), it's a struggle at times.

I've just been back up north to do some family and friends nails and it really boosted me again as I felt like giving up! I would say invest in some good files and better products where you can, some wholesalers will let you purchase while you're training as long as you can provide some documentation. Get a trainer hand and practice practice practice. Try to persevere and don't give up I live fairly close if you ever need a pair of hands x

Just a bit frustrated though. I need to find so many people to do portfolio treatments. Have to do 40 within 2 and half months :( . All i have is crappy student supplies that arent very good quality and i am only allowed to hand file. Im struggling to reduce acrylic bumps and get it flush to the side walls and cuticle with a simple hand file. Did you all have to go through this
If it were very easy, then anyone could do it without practice. It's a skill that needs to be learnt and practised and practised to perfect.

I'm pretty sure every nail tech started out that way - I had the added bonus of my beauty therapy lecturer admitting while teaching enhancements that she was no good with nails but that there was no one else left to teach us! She was a trichologist as well, and this was more where her passion lay! I paid for a creative foundation course and it was the best money I've ever spent.

Your aim should be to sculpt the nail with the brush and not the file so, frustrating as the student supplies are, they may actually help encourage you to perfect your application sooner.

Friends, aunts and cousins, friends of friends, even posting on your local facebook page asking if people wouldn't mind you practising on them. Surely you should be able to find at least a few people out of the above to work on?

It takes a long time to feel comfortable and confident working with L&P and a simple hand file will become one of your best tools.

Hya
Ino it's hair and not nails.
But Vidal Sassoon once said something on the lines of it takes a stylist about 15 yrs to be good at their trade.
So how many mistakes will we make in that time.
Not how you fall off the bike, but how you get back on and carry on.
You can do it.
I'm still learning today I trained forever ago. Oh dear lol

All these quotes fromThomas Edison help me when I feel like giving up.

Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Genius is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent perspiration.

Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

They're good butterfly beauty

Thank you guys! that has gave me some much needed encouragement. Got the flu at the moment but gonna get back on the trainer hand as soon as. Its my L & P that needs the most work. Reckon i need to go down a size in acrylic brush, using a 10 at the moment.

Thank you guys! that has gave me some much needed encouragement. Got the flu at the moment but gonna get back on the trainer hand as soon as. Its my L & P that needs the most work. Reckon i need to go down a size in acrylic brush, using a 10 at the moment.
It took me about 3 years to be confident in the majority of my work but even now there's the odd time I doubt myself.

Saying you've only got a hand file is already an issue, you need to learn to shape the nails with your brush. The file will eventually only be used to refine your shape.

I have just got myself an e-file and will only be using it for infills, it isn't necessary really for a full set.

Keep going though, we've all been there.

Just wondering what preferences you guys have in regards to acrylic brush size and shape ?

Acrylic brush sz 8 or 10 and nice and firm
If u need guidance check out Kirsty Meakin's vids for naio nails there brill x

Just wondering what preferences you guys have in regards to acrylic brush size and shape ?
I use a 10 but started with an 8.

Ifelt that way ... about my L&P..... but I bought the master sample kit from cjp and ... I'm much happier..... it's fairly cheap for a starter set.... and I'm sure you'd get along fab with it.... I know...I konw.... buying more products.....
My L&P was really basically a mess.... it still needs a lot of work and practice.... but I have found the cjp master acrylic brilliant... it is smooth.... just like the lady says on the youtube vid.... easy to file ... and just easy to work with.....
I was just about ready to swipe "acrylics" off my menu..... but then I read the posts on here about cjp.... and thought I'd give it ago.....I'm so glad I did....It has given me a new confidence with L&P.....and it could you too......I know it means buying yet another set..... but.... hey ho.....I have 3 different brands of acrylic.... and I struggle with all of them.... so..... thank god for cjp xx best of luck... chin up gal x

Acrylic brush sz 8 or 10 and nice and firm
If u need guidance check out Kirsty Meakin's vids for naio nails there brill x

i love that girl she is so talented

Ifelt that way ... about my L&P..... but I bought the master sample kit from cjp and ... I'm much happier..... it's fairly cheap for a starter set.... and I'm sure you'd get along fab with it.... I know...I konw.... buying more products.....
My L&P was really basically a mess.... it still needs a lot of work and practice.... but I have found the cjp master acrylic brilliant... it is smooth.... just like the lady says on the youtube vid.... easy to file ... and just easy to work with.....
I was just about ready to swipe "acrylics" off my menu..... but then I read the posts on here about cjp.... and thought I'd give it ago.....I'm so glad I did....It has given me a new confidence with L&P.....and it could you too......I know it means buying yet another set..... but.... hey ho.....I have 3 different brands of acrylic.... and I struggle with all of them.... so..... thank god for cjp xx best of luck... chin up gal x

im going to look into to cjp thanks x

Here's a question...... why do you always write like this "......" ......? Is it a trend or something? Do you try to be different?
Or perhaps to make larger gaps in the text? Are you dyslectic (not sure of the term here) or similar?

"..." 3 dots (no more) are meant to mean irony or unfinished process in a written text, even if it's a speech. And I gather nothing of the sort in yours. There really isn't any need for all those dots. You do need a couple of commas here and there but normal dots would work fine, which is why I've been wondering.

I don't mean to be offensive. It's just the teacher in me. It really hurts my eyes and I can find no reason behind it. I'd strangle my students if they ever wrote like that! BUT, I DO have a student who is somewhat dyslectic and finds ways to leave large gaps in his essays so it's easier for him. When he tries not to, his essays are much worse! He can't usually concentrate properly if the text is too dense!
So I just really have to ask why?

Latest posts

Back