Feeling a little down!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simplynails1

Reaction score
Hi every1! My first post here, im mobile nail tech, feel like my prices r v reasonable, I have leafleted, got a Facebook page, got a loyalty card going but really struggling to get a good amount of clients each week, and to kerp it building up! I don't want to start discounting my nails cos I think it does attract the wrong sort of clients, I feel like im up against at least 3 NSS salons, plus people offering themselves training £10 a set!! Other nails techs in hairdressers, and not sure how else to get my name out there, I do get a few recommendations, and clients r happy with my work! Was thinking of doing spray tanning aswell see if that would bring me more business in. Any advice would b grateful thanks in advance!x

I think there are alot of people doing nails (some not even qualified) which makes it hard for people who do a good job!
I'd carry on doing nails but maybe add a new string to your bow like tanning or pedicures etc?
Aslong as the clients you have are coming back and happy, then ride the wave honey, this time of year isn't great, maybe in December go leaflet drop for Xmas offering nails and a tan for your christmas party or new year!! Good luck

Have faith and don't feel alone xx

Thanks for the reply, I advertise acrylic hands, toes, manicure, pedicure no takers on the mani n pedis tho, I'm really loving shellac but dnt feel it's worth a investment yet, that's y I was thinking spray tans, and as it's something alongside nails can then start to offer packages, especially as I am mobile it would b better to b doing more at 1 persons house than going to do ! Thank u glad I'm not the only 1 feeling it!! Just have so much passion for nails I really dnt want to give up!! X

Keep going, I was the same & have lot of people offering cheaper than me but in the last 3 months I have begun to build a good client base, it's taken me 2 years to do this though. I also offer tanning & next week I'm doing waxing training as a lot of my nail clients ask for eyebrow waxing. Pamper parties are also a good way to boost business. If there are 6 or more paying guests I do a free treatment for the host, either gelish, minx or a spray tan & if anyone books for other treatments on the night I offer a 10% discount. Also ask you clients if you can put a picture of their nails on Facebook & tag them in it. I have found this a great way of gaining new clients especially if the nails have simple designs on them. Also if I have a quiet week I put a weekly offer on say instead of my tans being £17 they can get it at £15 for that week Only, people love a bargain!!!

Thank u for replying, see I was all ready to do my spray tanning course but felt a bit unsure about investing it, as with nails I don't feel like iv got my money back! I have a Facebook page with pics on but haven't tagged the people that I have done them on, I will do that, thanks! Pamper parties r something I really want to get in to, but am just struggling, i left my full time job to do this so can't really afford to wait 2 yrs to see a return!!! I just would love to b busy all the time!! I don't want to do silly prices bcos it de values the time and effort we have put in to learn these skills! I think I will do the spray tanning and try ur ideas like 6 n the host free n 10% off if booked in on the night! Thank u for replying!x

It takes time and patience to build a good steady business my darling.

Are you rebooking your clients before you leave their house? This is one of the most important things to do. Clients will forget to contact you to rebook so at the end of every appointment get out your diary and ask them which day would be best for their next appointment. Tell them you get busy so it is best to book in advance. They can always let you know if they want to cancel. So many new techs are afraid to do this but clients actually love the idea of getting the appointment on the day and time they want it! It also shows confidence in your own work.

Shellac or any of the leading coloured gel/gel polishes would be a better add on to what you do. They are so popular at the moment and in my opinion will continue to be so. Mums with kids find it difficult not to smudge nails as they are busy all day so this is ideal for them as it is dry and set within the time it takes to do the treatment. No waiting for drying even on toes, they can put on their shoes/boots and go and pick the kids up!

I wish you every success with your business my darling! :green:

These things do take time hun it took me a good year to build a good client base! I know how you feel theres alot of competition out there just now but I feel confident that you gert what you pay for.

Dont get down hun keep doing what you doing xx

Sent from my U20i using SalonGeek

I think there are alot of people doing nails (some not even qualified) which makes it hard for people who do a good job!
I'd carry on doing nails but maybe add a new string to your bow like tanning or pedicures etc?
Aslong as the clients you have are coming back and happy, then ride the wave honey, this time of year isn't great, maybe in December go leaflet drop for Xmas offering nails and a tan for your christmas party or new year!! Good luck

Have faith and don't feel alone xx

I don't agree!

I think the number of frankly, terrible and unprofessional people there are around make it just that much easier for one to stand out if you are good at what you do!!

The 2 fundamental mistakes that most new 'good' techs make is that they
1 ... have unrealistic expectations of how quickly they will build a client base and start to see a return on their investment and this is made harder for them because they

2 ... wrongly .. compete with the low prices that the rubbish techs set and just get lumped in with the same lot.

Ask yourself?? If you are charging the same low price as the rubbish tech or discount salon up the road then what is the incentive for anyone to come to you? How will they know you do a better job?

If you have some business sense and separate yourself from the mediocre crowd by having the guts to charge more because you know you do a better job ... then that will attract the people who don't mind paying a bit more for that better quality service? Right??? RIGHT.

Anyone who knows anything about business will tell you that it takes at least 2 years to gain a loyal client base ... of course it does ... loyalty is earned over time .. trust in you is gained over time and no matter how many little add-on services you spend your money on learning, that fact does not change.

Everyone and their Aunt Fanny is doing Spray tanning and Eyelash extensions and waxing etc. Be different .. be the nail expert in your area for natutral nails (Shellac) and enhancements. But don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen overnight .. it wont. It takes time as I said for your clients to like and to trust in you. You cannot push the river, but what you can do is to do the most kick ass nails in the district and that is what you should concentrate on doing .. building your skill so that is exactly what you can do and charge more for it. Focus!!! Keep your head down and work hard and forget what other messers are doing.

end of lecture. :hug: Best of luck.

I don't agree!

I think the number of frankly, terrible and unprofessional people there are around make it just that much easier for one to stand out if you are good at what you do!!

The 2 fundamental mistakes that most new 'good' techs make is that they
1 ... have unrealistic expectations of how quickly they will build a client base and start to see a return on their investment and this is made harder for them because they

2 ... wrongly .. compete with the low prices that the rubbish techs set and just get lumped in with the same lot.

Ask yourself?? If you are charging the same low price as the rubbish tech or discount salon up the road then what is the incentive for anyone to come to you? How will they know you do a better job?

If you have some business sense and separate yourself from the mediocre crowd by having the guts to charge more because you know you do a better job ... then that will attract the people who don't mind paying a bit more for that better quality service? Right??? RIGHT.

Anyone who knows anything about business will tell you that it takes at least 2 years to gain a loyal client base ... of course it does ... loyalty is earned over time .. trust in you is gained over time and no matter how many little add-on services you spend your money on learning, that fact does not change.

Everyone and their Aunt Fanny is doing Spray tanning and Eyelash extensions and waxing etc. Be different .. be the nail expert in your area for natutral nails (Shellac) and enhancements. But don't be disappointed if it doesn't happen overnight .. it wont. It takes time as I said for your clients to like and to trust in you. You cannot push the river, but what you can do is to do the most kick ass nails in the district and that is what you should concentrate on doing .. building your skill so that is exactly what you can do and charge more for it. Focus!!! Keep your head down and work hard and forget what other messers are doing.

end of lecture. :hug: Best of luck.

Here

Here!
It took me around two years, and I now have a steady client base, but I must say since Minx and Shellac it had TRIPLED!!!!
I am a nail expert and wouldn't learn anything else, there is always new things to learn with nails anyway- that's my opinion!!

Chin up and be patient!

good luck xxxx

I would definately advise to add a gel polish service like Shellac or Gelish, it's all my customers seem to want these days, and it's a quick and easy service to perform

xx

I would definately advise to add a gel polish service like Shellac or Gelish, it's all my customers seem to want these days, and it's a quick and easy service to perform

xx
We still do as many enhancements as we ever did and have been very selective in introducing Shellac to NEW natural nail clients. The last thing we wanted to do was to have all of our enhancement clients go onto Shellac ... that would not have made us any more money. We wanted a whole new set of clients to be attracted to the salon for natural nail services and my goodness they are!! lol We are a fully-booked salon so this means a new member of staff just to do natural nail services with Shellac.

Hi Hun

Great advice already but thought I would give you my point of view. I've only just launched my mobile natural nail service. I offer cnd scentsations manicure, CND citrus spa manicure, shellac and next month pedis, earth spa pedis, minx and rockstar fingers and toes.

I did actually train in spray tanning earlier in the year bought my kit the lot as I wanted to add on other services. However I just dont have the passion for it the way I feel about nails and to be honest I wasnt interested in any of the other treatments again as much as nails. But you know what I did at the beginning of this week? I sold my spray tan kit because I really wanted to run a just a mobile nail service, so yesterday I booked my pedicure training and bought minx. For now I am happy with the natural nail route and perhaps in the future (depending on what my clients or prespective clients want) I will also train in L&P.

Shellac would be a fantastic investment, if you search for the info you will see how well Shellac has boosted peoples businesses.

Chin up hun, it all takes time but is soooo exciting building your business. There is a thread by Lynne Baker about ways to promote your business which is really helpful. I've been invited to a networking breakfast in a few weeks time and there is someone there who does flowers and someone who has a wedding venue so would be great to try and hook up with them.

Good luck for the future hun xxxxx

Thank u to all ur advice Geeg iv read a few of ur responses in other people's post and ur advice is spot on!! I think I will forgot the spray tanning for just now and concetrate on my nails, as I did college for 2 years purely nails as that is my passion! Not really a spray tan, wax person! Iv saved the money for the spray tan kit think I will take that and invest in shellac, I have read quite a few posts how it has turned other people's business around so mayb it can help to boost mine! I was extremely impressed by it at olympia and gmex last yr, as I hate chipped polishes and it is the end of that!! And i dont always rebook clients in but i am going to get some guts and do it as i know my work is just as good as others! Sorry I can't remember the name of the lady who started spray tanning and went to nails, thank u for sharing that with me, that has been 1 of my worries investing then selling it as it's not me!! Thank u to all for ur lovely replies I feel really upbeat now! My other half is a electrician and he has been in sum1 house today when a postcard with a business card has came through the door and he has brought it home to show me with a complete different look to how my leaflets are. So I do have his support! Thank u all again! Will keep u all posted how I get on, xx

Thank u to all ur advice Geeg iv read a few of ur responses in other people's post and ur advice is spot on!! I think I will forgot the spray tanning for just now and concetrate on my nails, as I did college for 2 years purely nails as that is my passion! Not really a spray tan, wax person! Iv saved the money for the spray tan kit think I will take that and invest in shellac, I have read quite a few posts how it has turned other people's business around so mayb it can help to boost mine! I was extremely impressed by it at olympia and gmex last yr, as I hate chipped polishes and it is the end of that!! And i dont always rebook clients in but i am going to get some guts and do it as i know my work is just as good as others! Sorry I can't remember the name of the lady who started spray tanning and went to nails, thank u for sharing that with me, that has been 1 of my worries investing then selling it as it's not me!! Thank u to all for ur lovely replies I feel really upbeat now! My other half is a electrician and he has been in sum1 house today when a postcard with a business card has came through the door and he has brought it home to show me with a complete different look to how my leaflets are. So I do have his support! Thank u all again! Will keep u all posted how I get on, xx

Hey .. get him handing out your cards to every call he makes. :hug: You'll make it ... you sound like you have the ability and the good sense ... now you just need to be a little more outgoing and firm in your approach.

Thank u Geeg well he works all over sometimes little to far out the way, but when he is local he is going to start handing out cards!! x

Latest posts

Back