Feeling brave!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NOODLETASTIC

Reaction score
Hiya

I'm mainly a lurker but have decided to post. I am a beginner really, after my training with Creative I lost my confidence and had a break. I've decided to get back into it and am saving for 1-2-1 but thought I'd post this.

This lady had been using stick ons from Boots for ages. After warning her they would damage her nails she texts me last week to ask if I could do her some enhancements. If I couldn't fit her in she'd use more stick ons! of course I said yes, I was dreading what state they would be in.

There were some flaws from the damaged nail plates so I prepped very carefully and decided to use flawless pink with perfect white. She was happy with the finished result as was I, although the more I look at them the more I see I need to work on for next time. I found I had lines where I think the flawless pink zone 2and 3 didn't blend very well, what can I do about this?

Please give me your honest opinions and any hints and tips would be great!

IMGP1388.jpg

IMGP1389.jpg

IMGP1392.jpg

IMGP1393.jpg

Im sorry to sound negative but the open sore on that nail looks like a contraindication to me for having done these nails in the first place. Please correct me if I am wrong any more experienced geeks.

Im sorry to sound negative but the open sore on that nail looks like a contraindication to me for having done these nails in the first place. Please correct me if I am wrong any more experienced geeks.

I'm sorry I thought this too.
Did the client say that her finger was painfull or sore?

Don't get me started on those damnd stick ons!!!

xx:hug:xx

Hi Marion,

It does look rather raw on the pic doesn't it but it was where she said she had picked a bit of skin that afternoon so i was very carefull not to touch any product on it.

Should I not have touched her then?! i've done it myself before, pulled off a bit of skin id been picking at and made it bleed.

I've not finished my training yet, but it looks like it might be a containdication to me too. Could it be paronychia? If so, it is contagious and the client should be referred to a GP. It certainly looks very sore. Noodletastic, I'd not use those files again until you maybe get some posts from more experienced geeks. I'm sorry to be negative here too, but thought it might be concerning. xx

Hi Del,

Oh god I'm dead worried now! :eek: i did ask her several times and i was concerned when she first showed me but she assued me it wasn't sore and just looked red.

Aww dont be worried hun...just dispose of the files you used and make sure you clean any other equipment you used thoroughly.
Sugest to your client that she goes to see her G.P. for a proffessional diagnosis.
xx:hug:xx

Yes Noodle, I agree with Del, nothing you can do now just be more wary in future:hug:.

Hiya

Well first of all dont shoot me cos im not a nail tech, but those nails look very sore.
Well im qualified but im not a working, practising nail tech!

Personally I wouldn't have performed a service of enhancements on the lady because the nail looks contra-indicated to me.

I know its not what you want to hear but thats my opinion so dont hate me.

Elaine xxxxxxxxxx:hug::hug:

Bin the files babe.....I think the size of the picture makes it look worse than it actually is though. Personally, although not great for a client to hear, I would have asked her to come back in a few days when that finger had a chance to heal to do that nail if it was really as bad as it looks. I'm sure you will have washed and sanitised your other tools you used accordingly......cross contamination could well be an issue if you didn't.

It doesn't look like paronychia to me as no puss....just a picker's self abuse!

so do you think she was fibbing telling me it was picked skin.. and if it was just were she is a cannibal, should I still not have done them?

I've not finished my training yet, but it looks like it might be a containdication to me too. Could it be paronychia? If so, it is contagious and the client should be referred to a GP. It certainly looks very sore. Noodletastic, I'd not use those files again until you maybe get some posts from more experienced geeks. I'm sorry to be negative here too, but thought it might be concerning. xx

Paronychia tends to be very painful with puss present. I agree please dont use the files again as they have been in contact with open tissue.

I think for the future if a client has open wounds such as this It would be one of my best motto's when in doubt leave it out. In other words dont do it if you are unsure if there is or isn't an infection present.:hug:

Cathie,

Thanks thats reassured me. Honestly, the pic did make it look worse, it was scabbing over and I am methodical with hygene so made her wash her hands (and i did), used cool blue, new files and scrubfresh more than once through the prep.

Thinking on it perhaps I should have said I'll do them in a few days but she promised it didn't feel as bad as it looked and was defo a bit of picked skin.

It's all a learning curve and so I'll be strong enough to say to anyone if they come with red picked bits not to do them.

:mad:)

Cathie,

Thanks thats reassured me. Honestly, the pic did make it look worse, it was scabbing over and I am methodical with hygene so made her wash her hands (and i did), used cool blue, new files and scrubfresh more than once through the prep.

Thinking on it perhaps I should have said I'll do them in a few days but she promised it didn't feel as bad as it looked and was defo a bit of picked skin.

It's all a learning curve and so I'll be strong enough to say to anyone if they come with red picked bits not to do them.

:mad:)

:hug: You are correct it is a big learning curve and you do need to be very strong to say NO to a client and mean no

Just to say on the actual nails that you have done a good job...they look nice. just need a bit of refinement at the sides with your file to tidy them up a little. Keep going hun x

Tracey,

I defo won't be using the files again. they are already in the bin!

Thanks for the advice. I'll learn to be firm rather than let a client tell me it's ok when I'm still thinking it might be a bit too fresh.

I've told myself off and put it down to experience.

I just thought that side of the finger looked a bit red on that side too above the sore area, that's why I wondered if it might be paronychia. Just checked my folder and it says pus may be present, so I guess sometimes it might not be? Would this be correct? Just so I know for future problems! Hope I don't get any!! xx

You could have asked her to come back for the one nail once it has cleared up and still done the other 9 no problem, not the best answer for a client who wants fab nails....but she will have seen how fab the other 9 are and will have defo come back....I'm sure she would understand once you explained about contra-indications......

anyways, water under the bridge and hey I still learn something new about nails every single day!

Marioned, don't worry about suggesting it. it's what this site is for after all.yes that would be a nasty one to get!

Cathy, Thanks and after my initial feeling of crying Im now feeling a bit better and have put it down to one of the not so great things i've done, certainly won't be making that call again.

better go it's 11.15!

Calm down .. I think this looks like picked skin and not at all like paronychia.

However you still should have left this nail alone and just done the others as Cathie suggested and then done this one when the area had dried up. You should never apply product to a nail that has open and inflamed skin around it.

As to the nails, they are not horrendous or horrible. They do look like the work of a new technician. The refinement is in the details ... the sides, the surface smoothness etc.

Flawless powder needs to be applied like the roof tiles on a house. One bead overlaps the other so that everything blends together in one smooth colour. Flawless powder is also only a base mixture TO WHICH you add other colours to make your custom blended colour. It seldom suits clients skin tones when used on its own ... although in your image it doesn't look bad.

My mix for my skin tone (which is warm) is

30 scoops of Flawless.
15 scoops of Perfect White
1 scoop of Melting Pot and
1/2 a scoop of Spanish Tile

I use 1/2 a teaspoon per scoop and it makes a fairly large pot (2 oz) approx.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back