Feeling deflated, advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauz012

Reaction score
Hi hope there is someone can help I currently rent a nail bar in a salon in my local town centre I pay £40 a week I found out last week that they are closing the salon due to it nt doin very well they are shutting when the lease is up in September I can't decide weather to finish before that or see it out till the end I love being there And met some great people but I sort of feel like whats the point I would go bk to goin mobile hope someone can give me advice and what I should do thanks
** sorry if I wasn't very clear **

i would hold out till september. no point worrying yourself now. enjoy your job but just have it at the back of your mind. somebody else might take over the lease and it will be another salon and you can negotiate a nail station there, or just keep an eye out for other stations to rent.
you dont want to up and leave and be mobile and then find somewhere else to go as thats alot of up heaving.
wait till nearer the time your clients will appreciate that and also more likely to follow you where ever it takes you xxxx
hth x

Aww that's a shame. Is it a hair and beauty salon or just a beauty salon?
It's up to you really what you want to do. You could stay until the lease is up and then go mobile if that's what you want to do. Or if you enjoy the salon enviroment look for another space to rent.
Whether you do it now or later is up to you. Only you can decide that.
I hope everything works out well for you. Hth:biggrin:

I just have a feeling of why should I stay there build up a client base for them to just shut its a hair and beauty salon I'm nt particulary doin that great the salon isn't in a great spot I have been there since October and haven't made any money to bank just enough to pay my rent every week

Are you in any kind of contract? Like would you need to buy yourself out the contract in order to leave? You could always stay there and continue building up clientele that will follow you once you go mobile? Or ask to gradually increase your time there that way you can ease in to going mobile at the same time. Either way, its your choice.. you just have to think which one would you feel happier doing?

if you only pay £40 a week in rent and havent made any money then i would either give it up or really go all out to get clients in....you only need a few clients in a week to pay your rent so shouldnt take long at all!xx

No I'm nt in any contract I can have really good weeks and can make double my rent in a few days then nothing I think the salon is just nt in a good location with alot of competitiom and I advertise till the cows come home but I Dont seem to get many new people I no people say it take a while to build up a business but didn't think it would take this long thanks everyone for your advice

Sorry to hear the dilemma you're facing.

May I ask, are your current clients regularly re-booking? Are you working there full time?

What do you do when you haven't got any bookings in? Could you offer a free mini manicure/demo nail to the hairdressing clients? Do you cross refer clients with the hairdressers?

What sort of promotions such as refer a friend etc. have you tried so far?

If you've only been there since October, that's not really very long to establish yourself so you might need to allow quite a bit longer to really know whether it's viable to continue in the salon. In the meantime, continue to practise different marketing techniques to see what works for you and then if you do leave, you'll be able to make use of this experience somewhere else. Good luck with what you decide to do.

Yeah I get some people that regularly book in but nt enought I work monday - Friday 10-2 school hours and Saturday 8-5 I just can't see where I am goin wrong I seem to have lost my passion for being up there nt the industry just there

I'm not sure I'd make enough money to live on if I worked only those hours.
I think part of the problem is that you're missing out on the clients who work full time and want an appointment straight after work. I know you work Saturdays but for full time people with families their priorities could very well lie with their children on the weekends.
I agree that it's not been long enough for you build a client base. We are in the middle of an economic depression; people daren't spend because they don't know what's round the corner. Even in the good times it took 2 years to build a business and 5 to build a name.
Sorry, but I think you're just not working enough hours to make it pay...

I am able to work longer hours if I needed but there just isn't a a request for me before I started there I started doing up my spare room as a home salon and stopped cause I started working at the salon I think it doesn't help that in our town centre there is a nail bar on every corner and on the road up from us there is 4 Chinese nail bars on one street I have lealeted in cafes, advertised on gum tree I have 2 boards outside the shop one by the door and one at the top of the street we are a 3rd floor salon so people don't see us straight away thanks so much for your help

Yeah I get some people that regularly book in but nt enought I work monday - Friday 10-2 school hours and Saturday 8-5 I just can't see where I am goin wrong I seem to have lost my passion for being up there nt the industry just there

You may need to look at "when your clients want treatments" instead of when you are available.

I've been through many different working hours and now have staff. We work 12:45pm - 8pm in order to meet the needs of our clients

Thanks to everyone for your help I finish my NVQ level 2 beauty in July so hopefully that will give me a boost and try and bring some of my passion bk

Latest posts

Back