Filing Hard Skin in Pedicures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
we never got tought that....i got tought to soak the feet then check for contra indication if everythinks ok then proceed with pedicure....

Which means you could potentially be putting clients feet with a infectious condition in your foot spa then drying them with your towels :eek: You are putting yourself and other clients at risk of cross infection. Wetting the feet could also disguise the symptoms of some contra-indications.

I wear a waterproof apron and put a layer of couch roll across my knees, wearing disposable gloves I apply use Cool Blue to the clients feet and examine them thoroughly to ensure is nothing to cause concern before placing their feet in the footspa.

HTH
KxXx

I also use a credo blade... I've been trained, and it is a perfectly safe and "legal" tool to use where I live. If used correctly, it does not cause the callous to grow back faster. I use it in conjuction with a foot file... after feet have soaked.

Here in BC, Canada using a credo blade was taught as part of the pedi course at one time but when I took the course they no longer used credo blades, finding too much room to err with one. The other 2 ladies I work with both use a credo blade, were taught to use it and will only use if a client requests it. I do not and will not, not even remotely interested in knowing how. I use a rasp (grator thingy), then foot file after soaking then file again if nessicary*(sp) just before massage. What works best for one doesn't always work for the next, just need to try and figure out what works best for you. :)

I have in the past used the type of blades you are describing on myself and found them very easy to cut myself with:eek: so stopped using them incase I ended up with an infection and I would never even think of using one on a client.
I was always told that we should never use Credo blades when doing a pedicure. If the feet are that bad then IMO they should be seeing a chiropodist not just having a pedicure. Chiropodists are trained to use Credo blades and I for one have never been taught to use these on pedicure courses, in fact I was advised against using them on a recent course I did. I am surprised that your insurance cover you for this type of treatment:eek:.
I agree with this.I dont feel the need for them we are beauty therapists not podiatrist.

i would never use a credo blade , i would be scared to death :eek: i wouldnt even use it on myself !!
i usually rasp before the soak , i have done it both ways and prefer the before , as skin seems to come off easier :green:

i usually rasp before the soak , i have done it both ways and prefer the before , as skin seems to come off easier :green:

I have never tried doing it this way, will have a practice on hubby tonight

I follow this provedure:
1.. Sanatise feet
2..Soak feet
3..Check for contra inducations
4..File away hard skin and or apply callus eraser if needed
5..Exfoliate
5..massage
6..cuticle work and nail shape
7..paint and done....

Works every time:) HTH's xx

I use the rasp and then finish with CND's Callus Smoother but haven't tried it with the feet dry - will give that a go next time.

BTW - credo blades are prohibited in many states in the US. I would never use one although I have many clients that think that's the only way to remove the hard tissue. After a few Spa Pedicure's, they're hooked and their feet aren't sore the next day like they were after having the credo blade used on them.

I use the rasp and then finish with CND's Callus Smoother but haven't tried it with the feet dry - will give that a go next time.

BTW - credo blades are prohibited in many states in the US. I would never use one although I have many clients that think that's the only way to remove the hard tissue. After a few Spa Pedicure's, they're hooked and their feet aren't sore the next day like they were after having the credo blade used on them.

We use them at the salon where I work and you only take the dead skin off.. This shouldn't make the client sore. Also......

I use 3 types of files in a pedicure, firstly after soaking i use a small device with a blade in it (dont know what they are called) these are sold in A+F and Sally's and are great to retail!!

I don't think i would retail them tho as you can get a bit over enthusiastic when doing them on yourself and this could cause harm to the client...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought it was smooth not remove hard skin, as we're not chriopodists.

Hi

I use an efile to smooth the hard skin on feet, i spritz with foot spray then smooth the hard skin with my efile, then proceed with rest of pedicure.

I had a client in today with what i can only describe as "RHINO FEET", i soaked her for a good 15 mins, then used a large square ended 100 grit file (can be used in water) , well that file practically shaved off all that rough skin, she was amazed and so was I (I have never had to remove so much skin before),it was like grating a block of parmesan. When you look at the surface area of these files they are about 8" long X 1.2" wide and double sided, they work a treat and cost about AUS$1 over here.
My client left walking on air, quite a bit lighter and very willing to part with her money.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought it was smooth not remove hard skin, as we're not chriopodists.
I got told this at college aswell

I had a client in today with what i can only describe as "RHINO FEET", i soaked her for a good 15 mins, then used a large square ended 100 grit file (can be used in water) , well that file practically shaved off all that rough skin, she was amazed and so was I (I have never had to remove so much skin before),it was like grating a block of parmesan. When you look at the surface area of these files they are about 8" long X 1.2" wide and double sided, they work a treat and cost about AUS$1 over here.
My client left walking on air, quite a bit lighter and very willing to part with her money.

I will never look at grated parmesan cheese in the same way after that:eek:

omg this threads making my tummy twist!!!!

CREDO BLADES ARE NOT OUR FRIENDS!!

WHat people dont seem to understand, is that we NEED our callus where it has built up. WHat we DONT need is the rough flaky stuff on top of that.

We are to SMOOTH callus, not CUT IT OFF WITH A BLADE!

It is impossible to not cut living tissue with these things- and I would never ever ever send one home with a client- omg I can just imagine the horror stories they would come up with UGH!

Not only do I feel strongly about the usage of these "tools" I find them UNNECESSARY! I have a few clients, just a few, that took a few extra sessions in the pedi chair for very severe cracked skin on her heels- but she knew that it didnt get there overnight, and it couldnt come off overnight SAFELY. But I can sure send her on her way- For deep treatment, after the feet have been soaking in hot water for a while, and after exfoliating, I coat the bottoms of the feet in CND SEA SERUM, bag them up, and put them back in the hot water for about 10 minutes- it lets the AHA really penetrate the layers of dead skin that we want to remove. After 10 minutes I remove the bag, rinse off the Sea Serum, dry off the feet and then have a go at them with my CND Callus Smoother, working in circular motions. After I have finished that, and there are still any cracks in the skin, I work some Rejuvenator and solar oil into the cracks, then massage the feet up to the knee with Cucumber Heel Therapy.

I havent had an unhappy client yet. And PRESTO! No blades. :)

To each his own geeks, but I sincerely hope that those who use have REALLY done their homework in all areas. Its Illegal in many states for a reason- It's even illegal in ALASKA, whos state boards idea of licensing a Nail Tech is a JOKE.

Please research it til you can't research it no more...

Hi Carl, I want to know where to buy these files, it sounds like something I would definately use. Please let me know, thanks. x

Right on Heather!!! Blades are illegal in SC and IMO should be everywhere. I have heard horror stories not only from clients but also a Creative class I took where the educator told us about her sister losing her WHOLE FOOT from being cut too deeply and getting infected. Of course this person was sued and put out of business.....please be careful and rethink putting a little more time in your client and not rushing through. A pedicure is meant to be a pleasurable experience and taking your time and using safe equipment is #1 in my book.

I also suggest dipping clients feet in parrafin if they are really dry.

I coat the bottoms of the feet in CND SEA SERUM, bag them up, and put them back in the hot water for about 10 minutes- it lets the AHA really penetrate the layers of dead skin that we want to remove. After 10 minutes I remove the bag, rinse off the Sea Serum, dry off the feet and then have a go at them with my CND Callus Smoother, working in circular motions

What a great tip Heather, Thanks Chick xx

I am presently in school training to be a nail technician. They advised us not to use razors to remove dead skin because the client can get cut and taking off to much dead skin can give the client sensitive feet.

I also soak before, I remove dead skin. I will use a pumice stone and then a file to smooth.

:)

Latest posts

Back