First nail biter and I could cry :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well done you should be proud of the results :) they look great xx

I think these look great considering what you had to work with! Good work :) how long did it take you? xx

It took about 2 half hours. Felt like a lot longer though :)
Vicki x

Well done:p could you tell me what sort of forms did you use, still trying to get around those!!

I used NSI platinum forms but cut the pop out tab bit in half. Placed it on the bottom half of the hole to bridge the gap between the bottom of the form and the nail.
Youngs nails have a fab video on doing this called the bitten nail. Check it out (don't tell chickafish I've told you about it though she's very protective of Greg :)
Vicki zx

Wow such an improvement well done, you should be proud and she must be over the moon xx

I need to change the title of my topic. No tears this time. I used tips and they came out much better.
Only think is my tube of gel bond had stuck fast I had to use polybond instead. Does anyone know how to unstick it. It's a full tube.
So here's the pics. Not perfect but a big improvement :)
Vicki xx
The blob is a little crystal purple heart but it's the wrong angle
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1329060962.167969.jpgImageUploadedBySalonGeek1329060980.429901.jpg

Just popped over from my thread you posted on earlier. Both sets you did look so much better than mine :o.

Let me us know how the tips vs forms last please ? Would be interesting to know as you have now used both.

Thanks Sam xx

P.S. I've got one tube of Gelbond where the lid stuck fast after applying a crystal pedicure. I must not have cleaned to nozzle as well as I thought. I actualy managed to twist both the lid and nozel off in one piece trying to get the lid off. So at the moment, it doesn't really have ethier, just a short bit left of the nozzel. I have a pin, which I use to clear out any hardened Gel Bond, then clean it off when I'm finished and store it in a box so it can not stick to anything etc. When that doesn't work, I'll use the pin to peirce the tube to get the Gel Bond out for crystal pedicures, I'm not wasting it if I don't have to!! I've always carry a spare unopened tube with me for incase of situations just like this, I'm only stuffed them if it has gone off when I do open it LOL.

Last edited:
The trick to non sticking lids with GelBond is to make sure the nozzle is clean and then screw the lid on TIGHT. You should never have a lid that sticks if you simply do that. To unstick a stuck lid ... take a pair of pliers and go all the way around the cap just squeezing to break the adhesive seal and then try again to unscrew the lid either using your fingers or the pliers gently. Be careful not to twist the tube. It works 9 times out of 10.

Those are a great improvement, Vicki.

There is no reason that a tip shoould not be every bit as strong as a sculpted nail if you have built it in the same way.

The tip only has to hang on to the free edge by a hairs breadth ... The tip is only there to provide a canvas to work on and does not need to be glued on half way covering the nail ( I never know why people DO that) its crazy.

The product appliation will provide all the strength after the tip has been applied. Why would it be any different if you had sculpted the nail with no tip?? Answer is .. it wouldn't be!

The trick to non sticking lids with GelBond is to make sure the nozzle is clean and then screw the lid on TIGHT. You should never have a lid that sticks if you simply do that. To unstick a stuck lid ... take a pair of pliers and go all the way around the cap just squeezing to break the adhesive seal and then try again to unscrew the lid either using your fingers or the pliers gently. Be careful not to twist the tube. It works 9 times out of 10.

Thanks for that tip with the piliers Geeg.

I could have kicked myself when I relised what I had done with my Gel Bond. I know I must not have cleaned all the Gel Bond off the nozzel, hence why it stuck. There is still about half a tube in mine too :o. Hopefully I won't make the same mistake twice but if I do, I'll try the piliers tick.

Thanks

Sam xxx

Last edited:
these were my first attempt at a nail biter, I used clear tips, its orly polish - my polish technique is not great :/ lots to learn :) but quite pleased with them :) took 2 and 1/2 hours lol xxx

claireb4.jpg

claire after.jpg

Did you overlay them with anything? ... they do not look like they have had an overlay, and I can see quite clearly where the tip is applied and not buffed in. These really would not be acceptable in a professional situation.

It won't help you to improve if you are too pleased too soon with what you do. You must see the flaws and correct them the next time. It also would ne do you any good if I told you these nails were great.

Keep trying and get the best education you can.

Did you overlay them with anything? ... they do not look like they have had an overlay, and I can see quite clearly where the tip is applied and not buffed in. These really would not be acceptable in a professional situation.

It won't help you to improve if you are too pleased too soon with what you do. You must see the flaws and correct them the next time. It also would ne do you any good if I told you these nails were great.

Keep trying and get the best education you can.

ok now im officially gutted :(
yes Geeg I overlayed with Nsi Totally clear, Im no where near a professional, im still learning.
Comments taken on board thankyou :sad:
xxx

ok now im officially gutted :(
yes Geeg I overlayed with Nsi Totally clear, Im no where near a professional, im still learning.
Comments taken on board thankyou :sad:
xxx

Well don't be gutted --- :hug: you have to learn to see the flaws and to correct them not accept them ... never accept them. When you post pictures (very brave of you) you can't be gutted when not everyone tells you they are wonderful ... that doesn't help anyone to improve and I'm sure you realise you have room to improve and I'm sure you will.

Listen to me :hug: there are too many 'technicians' who are very pleased with their work and because they are they NEVER improve ... they don't even look to improve because they are so easily satisfied; I'm sure you do not want to be like that. One day you will be glad I did not fawn all over you and tell you things that weren't true. So don't be gutted, be determined! When I see your work and tell you its great or that you have improved you will then be over the moon and know you deserved it!! x

Perhaps the polish doesn't help either. You could correct all the wonky edges very easily with a brush and some Acetone (as I assume you do not have Nail Fresh which would do the job much better than Acetone).

Well don't be gutted --- :hug: you have to learn to see the flaws and to correct them not accept them ... never accept them. When you post pictures (very brave of you) you can't be gutted when not everyone tells you they are wonderful ... that doesn't help anyone to improve and I'm sure you realise you have room to improve and I'm sure you will.

Listen to me :hug: there are too many 'technicians' who are very pleased with their work and because they are they NEVER improve ... they don't even look to improve because they are so easily satisfied; I'm sure you do not want to be like that. One day you will be glad I did not fawn all over you and tell you things that weren't true. So don't be gutted, be determined! When I see your work and tell you its great or that you have improved you will then be over the moon and know you deserved it!! x

Perhaps the polish doesn't help either. You could correct all the wonky edges very easily with a brush and some Acetone (as I assume you do not have Nail Fresh which would do the job much better than Acetone).

thanks geeg, Ive just been at the friends and family stage for so long, I know some things I have improved on, I just meant I was quite pleased as it was my 1st nail biter and they could of been worse lol :/ I dont think any of my work is perfect, or even really good lol, hence why Im still doing friends, Im a bit of a chicken when it comes to enrolling on training, because once Ive done that and if and when I qualify then Ill be out in the big world of the paying clients and Im just not confident enough, no where near.
But Thankyou I do love your honesty xx:o

Hiya Lulu83, I was taught something similar to what Geeg recommends to perfect my polish outlines, but instead you use an orangewood stick with nail polish remover. As soon as I've applied the polish to that nail, if there's any messy edges, I go straight in with the orangewood stick dipped in remover and gently trace it along the edge line to neaten - works a treat! Also good for removing any polish that you get on the skin. Works best if you do it straight away though, before it dries. So work a nail at a time.

Such a priceless tip when you're first starting out as it helps you to provide a professional looking polish from the outset :) HTH x

thanks geeg, Ive just been at the friends and family stage for so long, I know some things I have improved on, I just meant I was quite pleased as it was my 1st nail biter and they could of been worse lol :/ I dont think any of my work is perfect, or even really good lol, hence why Im still doing friends, Im a bit of a chicken when it comes to enrolling on training, because once Ive done that and if and when I qualify then Ill be out in the big world of the paying clients and Im just not confident enough, no where near.

Your confidence will grow with training ... come on! If you love it ... get on with it!!

Hiya Lulu83, I was taught something similar to what Geeg recommends to perfect my polish outlines, but instead you use an orangewood stick with nail polish remover. As soon as I've applied the polish to that nail, if there's any messy edges, I go straight in with the orangewood stick dipped in remover and gently trace it along the edge line to neaten - works a treat! Also good for removing any polish that you get on the skin. Works best if you do it straight away though, before it dries. So work a nail at a time.

Such a priceless tip when you're first starting out as it helps you to provide a professional looking polish from the outset :) HTH x

thanks hun def take that advice :) and i will geeg soon x

Latest posts

Back