First Natural overlay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staceow

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have not done natural overlay since college for my final exam which was over 1 year ago now and I have a client coming on Saturday wanting a set of natural overlays for her holidays. I am now at panic stations so last night I practised on myself and this is my left hand. Can I pls have your feedback. My nails are pretty short and 1 of my nails is Very short and I feel it doesn't look right on this nail. For future reference if a client came to me with 9 nails long enough of natural overlay but 1 nail very short would you advise them to have a tip / overlay on that finger? All feedback welcome. Thanks

Last edited:
if they were happy to have a tip and overlay then yes that is what i would do or sculpt it to just build it up to the same length as the others.
as for your nails i dont feel i can comment is the picture is to blurry.do you have a macro setting as this allows you to take close up pictures without the bluriness.the macro button has a little symblo which looks like a flower.
sorry i could be anymore help.:)

Hopefully that's worked. thanks x x

No don't have that button on my camera. No problem I'm practising again tonight on my niece so hopefully when saturday comes I feel more relaxed. x

the picture is very blurry, but the white makes them look quite "duckbilled".

Agree that the pic isn't great, but my first thoughts are that the whites aren't all even.

What I mean by that is that some nails have more white (more free edge) than others, especially the middle finger.

M.

^agrees...

you have to at least have all of your free edges the same size... for a proper look.

plus I wouldn't use such a whiter white for these nails but a softer one as it is more pleasant for the eyes.

I agree that the free adge is not all the same, that is something I will work on tonight. I just found it difficult as all my nails are different lenghts. I have no other white to use... what would you recommend? I have just spent a lot getting these gel's so I can't afford any others but for the future what would you recommend I bought? x

a gel that suits you...

if you have a cover gel, use a cover then place your white on it, if you don't, improve your filing with putting all your nails in the same shape/length and french them

do you think it looks bad if I used tape to get my free edge correct? x

Ok I need some advice. I have just done another set of natural overlays for practise for Saturday and they turned out even worse. The girl I had to practise on has shorter nails than mine so we didn't get off to good start really then I decided as my free adge wasn't that good on myself I would use tape... nightmare! I applied the base gel, set under lamp then added the tape and applied the white finish.. when I pulled the tape off the base gel came with it and it just looked awful. Plus the free adge didn't look natural at all. I honestly think a 5 year old could of done a better job. Now I am even more worried about saturday with a paying customer.. should I cancel or bite the bullet.

Can anyone pls talk me through the process? Thanks x x

The girl I had to practise on has shorter nails than mine so we didn't get off to good start really then I decided as my free adge wasn't that good on myself I would use tape... nightmare!
Apply sculpting forms when doing a natural nail overlay, this will allow you to cap the free edge with gel and also allows for a very slight extension of length (cpl of mm).

I applied the base gel, set under lamp then added the tape and applied the white finish.. when I pulled the tape off the base gel came with it and it just looked awful. Plus the free adge didn't look natural at all. I honestly think a 5 year old could of done a better job. Now I am even more worried about saturday with a paying customer.. should I cancel or bite the bullet.

Can anyone pls talk me through the process? Thanks x x
When you are doing your free edge whites try using a dotting tool or a small brush, when you've applied the white you can use a product such as Scrubfresh to swipe the smile lines until you're confident enough to apply your free edge whites without needing to tidy them up. Cure after each swipe for 10 seconds per nail, this will freeze cure (set) the white and you can move on to the next nails, after all 4 are done cure for the full time.
I used to work on 2 nails at a time then as I became more confident I applied to more nails, I now do 4 nails on one hand, then the other, then the thumbs.

hth's a bit

Thanks Sandi x
I just don't know whether to cancel because the girl is paying and I don't feel confident, but then on the other hand I'm thinking well how am I ever going to learn! x

if you dont feel confident enough to do it then dont. I dont think the ones on here look good enough for a paying customer sorry luv!! and you only need one person to have a bad set done and spread the word you dont want to get a rubbish rep do you? i suggest you cancel it make some excuse up and practice loads till you get better! ask yourself if you went to get your nails done and came out with a set like youve given yourself would you be pleased? If no then dont do it!! xxxxxx hope i not offended ya just trying to help:rolleyes:

How about not doing a french? If using the white is highlighing your, shall I say weakness? Your client might be happy to have the clear or base colour NNO. If you perfect that look on your own nails by the weekend then she's bound to be happy to sport the same look as you. Let her know she can then have different colour polish etc. HTH Linds x

The other option of course is to only charge her model rates and explain to her that you are only just starting out again and you won't charge her the full price.

That way, you get to practice and the client won't feel to bad if the result isn't perfect.

Marlise

I believe that it looks the best if you make the smileline as thin/short as you can. I don't mean filing them short, but not to put the white too low on the nails, but this is only my opinion....i have attached my first go( have in mind that my nail beds are naturally extremely long and this is soft white)

I also use a dotting tool to put on my smile line. So in the future I would get a cover gel (if you don't have one) and a soft white, maybe even a paint on soft white, which I use for NNO. I think you can make the edge thinner this way.

Attachments

• pink and white overlay 3.jpg
    pink and white overlay 3.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 122
  • pink and white overlay2.jpg
    pink and white overlay2.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 103
No I'm not offended. At the end of the day I want a honest answer. I did know myself that they didn't look good so I have cancelled with customer. It has really knocked my confidence to be honest... I was thinking last night about maybe asking a salon in my area if they would take me on, on a saturday and that would give me some experience which I think I do need. Do you think many salons would be up for that?

There is only one way to find out :lol:

Go to your local salons and ask them if they would be willing to give you the oppurtunity to get more experience.

They would probably want to see your work in order for them to gauge what your skill level is.

You could perhaps offer to work for free or do model rates or something in order to get them more interested in you.

GOOD LUCK :hug:

Marlise

do you think it looks bad if I used tape to get my free edge correct? x
I am against it, but it may be just me.

it's like, if you were a nurse and wouldn't be able to do an injection better than me who is a simple unqualified person.

Latest posts

Back