Form fitting...any tips?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms.Matrix

Tweetacular Geek!
Reaction score
Sorry for the pun :eek:

I wanted some tips on what is the best way to fit a form on the nail so that there is no product seepage underneath the free edge of the natural nail...any suggestions? I always have a problem when I'm doing my sculps I can turn my hand over and instead of seeing the free edge of my nail I see product. What am I doing wrong?

The piece you pop out of the middle? Affix that to the underside of the form.
Then 'roll' the form.....side to side sort of, to make it curve? Hold it in that curved shape as you place it flush under the nail, hold in place THEN slide fingers up the sides to press the form against the finger.
I hope that made sense?

Form fitting is tricky. For me, it was try try try again, and then suddenly "by jove she's got it".:lol:

Maybe by watching this, you'll see what I mean?
Tammy Taylor applies a full sculptured odor-less acrylic nail using a nail form

hth's

I'm not very good at explaining these form thingies :lol: :o

Ahhhh, okay! I will have to try that...I will also have a lookie at the video, although I won't be able to hear a darn thing. :hug: THX!

The piece you pop out of the middle? Affix that to the underside of the form.
Then 'roll' the form.....side to side sort of, to make it curve? Hold it in that curved shape as you place it flush under the nail, hold in place THEN slide fingers up the sides to press the form against the finger.
I hope that made sense?

Form fitting is tricky. For me, it was try try try again, and then suddenly "by jove she's got it".:lol:

hth's

Hey, Vic! I haven't heard that one myself but I'm damn well going to give it a go. Is this standard practice? If so why wasn't I trained to do so?
Thanks Vic!!

As far as I know, it's standard? It seems to be on all the vids that I have watched.... (insert a shrugging smiley here lol)

Hope it helps.
Let me know.
I try to help, but sometimes I'm not very good at explaining things:o , hence why I collect links to all sorts of things all over the web :lol:

:hug:

hth's

She makes it look so darn efortless! I wanna be like her when I grow up!!
Hey, Vic! I haven't heard that one myself but I'm damn well going to give it a go. Is this standard practice? If so why wasn't I trained to do so?
Thanks Vic!!
I think it's one of those things where the tech find a short cut that works, not necessarily standard practice, but something that makes it easier to do what your doing. I sure a lot of other techs have little tips and tricks like this as well....:hug:

Cracking idea, just wish I'd thought of it myself!:)

She makes it look so darn efortless! I wanna be like her when I grow up!!

I think it's one of those things where the tech find a short cut that works, not necessarily standard practice, but something that makes it easier to do what your doing. I sure a lot of other techs have little tips and tricks like this as well....:hug:

Not only can you do it like that,,, but, if you have not tried the TT comp forms, you need to. They are already double for you. Plus they come in all nail bed sizes for you. gold for most nails, black for square nail beds,white for oval nail beds. They fit perfect, & no second guessing. plus, when you pinch the tabs, you have your perfect c curve.
LOVE TT
I don't care what other's have to say about it :lol: :lol:

Plus they come in all nail bed sizes for you. gold for most nails, black for square nail beds,white for oval nail beds. They fit perfect, & no second guessing. plus, when you pinch the tabs, you have your perfect c curve.
Are they pretailored then? ie you can fit them to different types of c-curve without having to get your curved scissors out and pretailor them yourself?
Sounds interesting!

I found these forms a few days ago. They are OPI forms and already pretailored for different types of nails.Regular,oval on one side and C-curved or flat on the other side.I like them.
IMG_1162.jpg

Not sure if you can pick these up from Sally's or you have to go direct to Lena White but they have a min requirement for orders of £50 so would be pretty expensive forms!! Haven't got round to checking with them yet that this is defo the case. Perhaps another OPI geek can step in and confirm.

Going back to what Victoria said, this is how I apply my forms.

Tammy Taylor rocks, even though I dont always like the shape of her nails.

mmmm lots and lots of monomer going on skin .... swiping with monomer! I did cringe a bit at that.

Was good to watch how they fitted the form though. Be great to see a tutorial on here from an experienced tech on problem nails i.e. fitting a form on different shapes and bitten nails - with opaque pinks to disguise those bitten nails etc.

Was giggling at the "purple terminator" tee hee! :lol:

Not only can you do it like that,,, but, if you have not tried the TT comp forms, you need to. They are already double for you. Plus they come in all nail bed sizes for you. gold for most nails, black for square nail beds,white for oval nail beds. They fit perfect, & no second guessing. plus, when you pinch the tabs, you have your perfect c curve.
LOVE TT
I don't care what other's have to say about it :lol: :lol:
Even though I use TT I don't use her forms, although after seeing all this, I think I'm going to have to order some soon...
I found these forms a few days ago. They are OPI forms and already pretailored for different types of nails.Regular,oval on one side and C-curved or flat on the other side.I like them.
IMG_1162.jpg
These look interesting too...might have to try these as well. You know how sometimes you have to try different ones to find the ones that work best?
mmmm lots and lots of monomer going on skin .... swiping with monomer! I did cringe a bit at that.

Was good to watch how they fitted the form though. Be great to see a tutorial on here from an experienced tech on problem nails i.e. fitting a form on different shapes and bitten nails - with opaque pinks to disguise those bitten nails etc.

Was giggling at the "purple terminator" tee hee! :lol:
Oooooh great idea...I would love to see that as well!!! I would love to see Sam or Geeg have a go!

One good tip I had when fitting forms was to make sure that you round the edge/corner of the nails to make sure they are rounded as when the corner of the natural nail is left square it tends to push the form down and then leaves a gap.

Hope that makes sense.

That helped me loads!

IMG_1162.jpg
I think entity do some similar too.

One good tip I had when fitting forms was to make sure that you round the edge/corner of the nails to make sure they are rounded as when the corner of the natural nail is left square it tends to push the form down and then leaves a gap.

Hope that makes sense.

That helped me loads!
Hmm, never thought about that! Thanks!!

Latest posts

Back