Found out on Monday I have breast cancer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cath4512

Reaction score
I was called for a routine mammogram about 3 weeks ago, got called for second stage screening at which they saw a mass of calcifications & did tests including a biopsy.
I got my results on Monday 10/6/13. I have breast cancer which they are pretty sure is non invasive. ( there is one minute area where it is invasive). I need a mastectomy as the area is so large. I am having an immediate reconstruction. They are also taking lymph node samples to see if it has spread anywhere. I get these results 2 weeks after my surgery.
I have the op on 1st July.
I dont even know how I feel about it. It has all been so quick ( which is a good thing really) but its a shock to the system.
I get married in November in Jamaica, just over 4 months after my op. Depending on the results we may have to postpone it, but hopefully not.
I will need 6 to 8 weeks off work as well. I am a mobile nail tech & a fitness instructor, both self employed. Nightmare !!!!!
I cant get my head round it all xx

Crikey what a huge shock.
I am wishing you a very speedy recovery and I'm sure you're wedding will go as planned.

Best of luck xx

Hiya lovely :)

So sorry to hear that, as you said it must be a massive shock! *hugs*

On the bright side, you're getting married...& in Jamaica! Wowzer I'm so jealous xD & hey...free boobs ;) my neighbour has just recently had a mastectomy/reconstruction after being diagnosed for the second time & she's doing amazing, in fact, we were at a garden party drunk together last week! I also think that whenever we hear the word 'Cancer' we think immediately that it's a negative outlook, it is what you make of it dear, put your feet up & get everyone to make you cuppas! Chin up, everything is going to be ok x

This must be the worst news any woman could hear. Keep positive...I've have two friends who have beaten breast cancer they both handled it very differently but both stayed positive...kick it in the face and look forward to your wedding...In Oct this year I'm aiming to cycle 400km across Cuba to raise money for Breast, Cervical and Ovarian cancer. if anyone would like to sponsor me go to justgiving/Micheline-Scarlett Will be thinking of you when i reach those dreaded hills...I really hope and pray you are well enough for your wedding...don't let this get you down...Hugs xxxx

None of us who go for routine checks or examinations expect to hear this news, so it's no wonder you're head is all over the place at the moment. At least its been detected early and your treatment has already been scheduled.

As others have said, stay positive and try to focus your attention on your lovely wedding plans.

We are all here to support you :hug:

I was called for a routine mammogram about 3 weeks ago, got called for second stage screening at which they saw a mass of calcifications & did tests including a biopsy.
I got my results on Monday 10/6/13. I have breast cancer which they are pretty sure is non invasive. ( there is one minute area where it is invasive). I need a mastectomy as the area is so large. I am having an immediate reconstruction. They are also taking lymph node samples to see if it has spread anywhere. I get these results 2 weeks after my surgery.
I have the op on 1st July.
I dont even know how I feel about it. It has all been so quick ( which is a good thing really) but its a shock to the system.
I get married in November in Jamaica, just over 4 months after my op. Depending on the results we may have to postpone it, but hopefully not.
I will need 6 to 8 weeks off work as well. I am a mobile nail tech & a fitness instructor, both self employed. Nightmare !!!!!
I cant get my head round it all xx

Hey lovely, what a terrible shock for you. My sister was diagnosed in 2011 with breast cancer at 33 years of age. It spread to her lymph nodes (just a few) which were removed and she had a mastectomy. She has done brilliantly. She has gone through her chemo and radiotherapy and is currently taking her meds which she will be on for the next few years when she will hopefully get the all clear. As far as the docs are concerned there is no trace of cancer left in her body as it has all been removed. She is currently waiting on her reconstruction, but is firstly losing some weight for the op and trying to find the opportunity to have it done as the recovery time is a bit long winded. She did lose her hair but got an amazing wig and she has a chicken fillet she whips out every so often to freak her kids out with. We also had a huge laugh when both our kids wore her wig and rocked out air guitar style. I know it doesn't feel like it now, but you will find funny moments along the way too. Her hair has grown back beautifully and she hasn't a stitch of grey in sight either... she loves telling me that bit!

The part you are going through right now, she told me she found was one of the worse parts, simply because you are sitting around waiting on results and worrying. She just wanted to get on and know what was what.

It will take time for you to adjust your mind, but keep strong and stay positive my lovely. Give yourself time and be patient with yourself. And most importantly kick cancers arse my lovely xxx

Last edited:
what a shock, i hope you recover quickly x x

Sent from my GT-I8160 using SalonGeek

Hi, it's very understandable that you can't get your head around such news but try to stay positive, I know that's easy for someone to say but concentrate on that wonderful wedding you are going to have. I know you must have very mixed feelings about the operation and treatment but you have to concentrate on the future. You have as much support on here as you want even if its just to say hello.

I as others on salon geek will be thinking of you and please keep us updated as to how you are. Keep strong !!!

So sorry to hear that Cath, your head must be all over the place right now. I hope all goes well with your op and you make a speedy recovery, you have a wedding to plan after all! :hug:

So sorry to hear that , can't think of anything worse i really feel for you , like the others I wish you a speedy recovery XxXx

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2006 and have been 6 years all clear now!

I had chemo then lumpectomy and lymph removal and then radiotherapy followed by tamoxifen therapy for a year after all of it.

One piece of advice I would give is always have someone with you at appointments as you don't take it all in an forget some of it.

Pm me if you want to chat!

Much love x

I'm so sorry you've had such a horrible shock.

I absolutely feel that, after a bit of a journey, all will be well. It's just a sickening jolt when you get news like this though.

Thank-you for sharing this with us; it's a timely reminder to everyone to get checked out if you have any doubts.

A very big hug. xx

I volunteer at a local cancer support charity and the ladies are so inspirational it is worth looking for a support group near you it will help you to process it all and make sense of any symptoms of treatment etc good luck with your journey stay positive and kick the critters butt xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

You will be on the beach in Jamaica before you know it, I had leukemia in 2011 you must stay positive ( you will have your moment though) the worst thing for me was juggling 10 mouths of chemotherapy and working at the same time, hopefully your op will be the end of it. Wishing you a super quick recovery :-D

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek

That must have been a huge shock for you, but how fantastic that they found it and you are going to get the right treatment. I know from people who have gone through similar that having something to focus your mind on in terms of a goal really helps in getting through the treatment and seems to me no goal could be better than your beautiful wedding. Big hugs x

Massive hugs xxx

Bless you I can't imagine how you are feeling. Don't even know each other but I wish you all the best in your speedy recovery you will get better and stronger for it! Take care of yourself hugs and love xxxx

Just wanted to add my love and best wishes - thinking of you my darling xxx

Sending massive hugs hun xx

So sorry to hear this, hoping the massive flood of love and well wishes from here on SG raises your spirits a bit =) keep your head up! Sending hugs!

Latest posts

Back