French L&P on short nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jabez

Reaction score
I have a few clients of whom some work as secretaries or PA's, they dont want tips put on (natural or french), but just p&w. They want the free edge just to stick over the nail bed. I am finding it very hard to place enough white acrylic to make a slender line (hope you follow), but then I find that I make the white acrylic a little to thick. It takes longer to file and shape, I also find it difficult to get enough white acrylic into the corner of the free edge... hope i'm making sense!:rolleyes:

Would be grateful is someone such as Carl or Julie could give us a video clip on doing shorter nails. Just to be more specific (the nails are not near those in length of nail biters).

I trained in 2005 with Starnail Cosmetix and am now using a product called Planet Nails. I had a 2 year break in between as I had to work corporately again due to severe financial constraints. i am now working in a salon and loving it, realy want to make this a huge success. (Sculpting is next on the training list). Any advice given would be very appreciated.:hug:

Hi Jabez, welcome to the site btw!

I have a number of clients who wear their nails short due to their jobs.

I use CND Retention+ L&P.

If you apply a little to thick, then if you check out this tutorial about finishing you could find it useful.

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finishing-maintenance/8418-file-control-part-3-perfect-finishing.html

Don't be afraid of the natural nail just because it is short, treat it just as you would a tip & overlay, but don't use so much product. Short, pink & whites can look so smart & neat.

HTH's ...xxx

This is one i did on myself using Creative l&p, was a dream to use.
CND l&p on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I never thought i'd be able to do it but i did. If you have short nails try to give it a go on your own nails. It's just a case of using a smaller bead and practicing. :hug:

ღMandyღ;782859 said:
This is one i did on myself using Creative l&p, was a dream to use.
CND l&p on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I never thought i'd be able to do it but i did. If you have short nails try to give it a go on your own nails. It's just a case of using a smaller bead and practicing. :hug:

I was having this problem too a while ago but as mandy says i just practiced on my own short nails and got the hang of it eventually. x

Many thanks for all the advice, will try my best at the p&w on short nails and keep practising.:green:

I do short pink and whites all the time, too, and my secret (if you want to call it that. :)) is my brush--I shape it flat and pick up a "roll" instead of a bead. I find this much easier to shape into the smile line than a ball, and I don't have to mess with the smile too much afterward.

I use CNDs ProStyler, which can be used either pointy or flat. And picking up small rolls/beads is a must.

Many thanks for the advice - makes alot of sense, will try it on the next client who likes to wear her nails short. Your picture gallery is lovely, loved the neatness of the short nails, hope I can get it down pat as you have! I learn alot by seeing things applied in practice, still hoping for a short vid-clip somewhere of how to master this short-nail technique. Thanks all so much for your time in replying - will take all the advice and keep you updated ahead on how things are progressing. Hope you all have a great nail week.:smack:

or do it like normal, let the white go over the edge of the natural nail a fair bit,
make sure you know when your product is going to set though, so you dont get hanging bits ( iykwim)
and then file back to the original length the client wants
hth xx

or do it like normal, let the white go over the edge of the natural nail a fair bit,
make sure you know when your product is going to set though, so you dont get hanging bits ( iykwim)
hth xx

This is not a bad idea as it will help to 'cap' the free edge with the white.
Remember to file at a 45 degree angle to ensure you don't 'undo' the cap you have just created.
Hope that makes sense.

hth xx

If you were to do this and flie right to the free edge (so it's like you haven't capped the edge) could this cause lifting at the free edge?

i would always file to the length the client wants, if this takes it to the edge of the natural nail, i would file from underneath at an angle of 45 degrees ,this ensures that the product, ie the white free edge is a millimetre or so longer than the natural nail
hth

i would always file to the length the client wants, if this takes it to the edge of the natural nail, i would file from underneath at an angle of 45 degrees ,this ensures that the product, ie the white free edge is a millimetre or so longer than the natural nail
hth
Got ya, thanks.

Latest posts

Back