French mani gone wrong.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glam Nails

Reaction score
I've only done 2 french mani's before (with gel), and they looked all wrong! Now i have a client book for a french mani AND a pedi!!!
The smile lines looks so unsteady and it looks like my gel is too thin (almost see through). I dread doing french mani, but i have to learn the correct procedure.

How in this world would i get it right?

Practice is the only thing that is going to help. Try to get as many people to let you practice before your appt (friends, family members, whoever!) Though you won't have time to get it before your appt, for the future think of using a smile line brush. I have one from Light Elegance Gel. I love it. Really helps me to make a perfect smile line.
When you say your gel is see through....do you mean the white gel you are using for the smile line. Do you make sure to stir your white (or any color for that matter) everytime before using it. I usually just use an orangewood stick to stir up my gel polishes. They settle unevenly which can lead to uneven coverage.
Good luck!

sometimes it helps to try using a dotting tool te put the smile line on, especially of there is only a small free edge, good luck

I hate french with gels so much that I'm going to buy an airbrusher and just spray them on. I'll continue to practice white tips with gel.... but you are not alone. In my opinion, it's a dated look, and the part of me that hates doing p&w just wishes it would go out of style already (it's so 90's IMO) :wink2:

All you can do is practice!

For gels, it's a lot easier to control the smile line if you use a flat squared brush. Also, you can get a clean brush, dip a little bit in cleanser, and wipe the excess gel from the pink.

I find doing french with gel a lot easier than polish, because you can keep fixing imperfections until you cure it :)

What about doing a reverse appliaction?... might take u alittle longer but worth it
use your builder/sculptor gel to build your apex etc. then get a file and file your smile line ( soon u will be so good u wont need to file)
Butt your white up to the pink... cute etc.... finish file etc then if u need to pop some clear builder on top, turn the hand up side down for a few seconds... it makes the gel "run" to the apex and then quickly turn them over and pop them into the light x

oh i ment to also say check out the cnd tutorials and also Young nails has a great tut video, greg makes it look wonderfully easy x

Thanx everyone, i'll take all your advice in. Wil let you know how it went... ( i'm actually scared and excited,lol)
XXX

sometimes it helps to try using a dotting tool te put the smile line on, especially of there is only a small free edge, good luck

Thats what i do and it really does make the job easier:green:

Latest posts

Back