Friend massively undercutting me bit of a moan I suppose...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redsadie

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm not normally one to moan as I think it's counter-productive but I don't know what to do (if anything at all).

A girl I just finished (almost) hair college with, is also already NVQ2 qualified in beauty and has been doing treatments in her spare time since qualifying. I never asked her what she charged as I felt it was none of my business and she said she didn't want to do beauty she just wanted to do hair on the side of her day job as a bit of extra cash :/

She's just started to do trendy nail wraps and I know what she's charging and she's using a hair dryer, but now she has made up a FB group detailing her prices and omg, I'm not kidding, her prices are stupidly low! I suppose she isn't targeting the same clients as me and in all honesty I wouldn't want clients like she will attract anyway, but I know she's not declaring so everything will go in her pocket apart from product costs, which is potentially money from my pocket!

Sorry, moan over. I wonder what you would do/say in my situation (if anything)

Thanks Geeks

Xx

Meant to say she's doing hair and beauty and her acrylics/gels are only 15 and half leg wax is a fiver!

Xx

Hi I would ignore it and carryon as you are, have you heard the expression "a busy fool" ? This is what she will be having to work twice as hard to earn a descent amount of money, and good clients worry when treatments are too cheap, I know I do . 

Hi I would ignore it and carryon as you are, have you heard the expression "a busy fool" ? This is what she will be having to work twice as hard to earn a descent amount of money, and good clients worry when treatments are too cheap, I know I do . 

Thanks PinkPrincess,

I know, but it just annoys me and I don't have anyone else to rant to! :eek:

xx

Unfortunately it happens in every job, she must see you as competition, probably jealous hun, rant away lol x

What PinkPrincess said:hug: IGNORE and carry on. Anyone can undercut - its not rocket science, not everyone can provide the service. sarahxxx

Why be worried? Top end salons/therapists would not survive if price was the only consideration. She will not be able to sustain this long term. Perhaps another reason is that she is not very confident and is seeing this as a way to improve? Although it is wrong to not declare earnings, if she is still at college she is inlikely to be making a lot of money from this venture if her profit margins are so low. :)

Why be worried? Top end salons/therapists would not survive if price was the only consideration. She will not be able to sustain this long term. Perhaps another reason is that she is not very confident and is seeing this as a way to improve? Although it is wrong to not declare earnings, if she is still at college she is inlikely to be making a lot of money from this venture if her profit margins are so low. :)

Like everyone on here has already stressed... worry about you and your pricing - some clients' want Primani and some clients' want Prada (ooooh and don't you just love those Prada clients!!!)

You provide a superb quality service and that's what is being paid for...

Vicki
:hug:

ps loving the 'busy fool' reference, too true xx

Hi I would ignore it and carryon as you are, have you heard the expression "a busy fool" ?

What a great expression! So true.
Don't worry hun, she might have more clients in the beginning but they won't be loyal ones and she will end up working twice as hard to earn what you will earn. Pretty soon she will realise that and put her prices up and I expect the clients that were attracted to her opening offer won't stick around!
You will be the winner in the bigger picture
Xx

Thanks girls :)

This is all so true and exactly the sdvice I would give to any of you, lol! Its just I've never had it 'in my back yard' so to speak, so never bothered me.

To top it all off, an acquaintance I know (not too well) came to me to have a set of acrylics done on Thursday, then was asking me where I bought my products so said I'm CND trained so buy from Sweet Squared. Then she 'drops into conversation', I'm a qualified nail tech since 2004 and going to get back into it! I said, that's good, I love being a nail tech and left it at that.

I got a text this morning from her saying my nails were still good (well duh, I know they are, lol!) And where was it I bought my stuff from again!

I don't mind helping anyone, but I did think it was a bit sneaky to drop it in, then ask me where I bought from after I told her already! I asked her where she'd trained and she just said 'a private course'!

'Sigh'. Thanks for listening :) you all rock! Xx

Cheeky thing ! Don't reply to her, 2004 and no practice! She'll be good then  lol x

Pffft... leave it now. You owe her nothing so don't feel obliged to text. This is the way of the world I'm afraid - don't suffer fools gladly...
Sarah x

Latest posts

Back