Friend's a Beauty Therapist, want to teach me.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glam Nails

Reaction score
Hi Friends :)

I'm currently a nail geek. My friend is a qualified Beauty Therapist who works in a salon for less than minimum wage. (she's also home based & mobile part-time, but she does not have a big client base as of yet)

My friend wants to teach me beauty therapy (waxing, tinting, facials, massages and make up), so that we can start up our own business.

I cannot go to college due to the fact that i have a mortgage, small baby and other expenses (i'm in a well paid office job).
The only part-time classes given here are crap (there is only 1 college which offers it here). I did a make up course which i paid a huge fortune for, and ladies i still can't tell the difference between concealer and foundation,lol...

The reason that she wants to teach me so that we can open a salon together, is because i have the capital to open a salon (and she has a huge study loan to pay off).

Anyway, getting to the point... Will i be able to learn all the ropes from my friend? Will i be able to even do all those things when she's finished with me? (come on, she studied 3 years for this)
Will it be worth it?

I can not speak for the rules in your country but here in England, definetly not.
Don't get me wrong, you will learn so much from her, assuming she knows her subjects but from the point of view of liability insurance, unless she is a certified trainer and able to issue you with certificates when you finish each module with her then you wont get insurance and wont be licenced to practice on the public.
Things may be very diferent for you, but you need to talk to your insurance company and to which ever govement department covers this in Namibia, to find out where you stand.:hug:

I agree with Susie, and whilst your friend might be able to give you some tipps and tricks as well as advice she presumably is not trained to certify and train you as a therapist? Without certification you would not be able to get insurance for the treatments and this would definitely cause problems in the UK but it might be different in your country?

Thanx for your advice. Here in namibia, you can run a beauty salon without having a certificate, your insurance does cover you (that's why there's a salon around every corner :-(

So i do not need a certificate for that, but i do want to be able to give excellent treatments. I will NEVER EVER open a salon if i know i am not capable of doing the treatments.

I do not want to open the salon and then find out that it was actually just to benefit my friend. i.e, clients coming to our salon only to have her do their treatments. I don't want her complaining that she does all the work, while we get 50/50...

XXX

Latest posts

Back