Friends And Family

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahhh123

Reaction score
Hi guys

Was just wondering what or if you charge friends and family for treatments?

I never ever charge my mum because I've always said that she gave birth to me and has done more than enough for me so far so it's the least I can do, but I still charge friends and dont even give discount! (is that really mean?)

Or if one of my brothers or bf want a back massage or something I don't charge.

Just wondering what everyone else does? x

I say give friends for free ( meaning me)
only joking, i would charge them but maybe a fraction cheaper as they are your advert , but not silly cheap prices x

i charge everyone, but family at a lower rate- they have their own businesses and give me discounts so its a case of swings and roundabouts for me. I do not charge my sister quite often though but she doesnt expect me to give her freebies and if she wants something done she does expect to pay for it. One of Mr Chocolatepickles sisters is a very good customer and pays very well even though i give her discount she tips which brings it quite often up to normal price, then one of his other sisters expects freebies and so i Never give them to her, i cant stand when they expect it as if its right, so i dont.
I charge all my friends and work collegues (i work part time in a different job too) full price. I'm trying to start a business and wont get far otherwise! :green:

I charge friends and family. The only people who get free treatments from me is my kids. If they had to pay to get their hair done or any beauty treatments then i would end up paying anyway-lol.
No discounts for friends or family-it's a business, not a charity!
I give vouchers to familt for birthdays and things though!

I don't charge my mum, dad or brother. Everyone else pays full price. Like Angelina said, this is your business and your living. Will they work for free?

If you do something for a discount and they do you a favor i think thats ok.

I also give vouchers or product sometimes.

None of my friends want me to wax their scrotums!

But if they did - I would do a 'mates-rates' for them :)

Non of my female family members have nails...robs sisters are either too far away or not allowed for work...my mum literally digs with her hands (garden mad) so i don't really have any family to do freebies for....and they are all i would. Friends pay the same as anyone else...but i do other things for free for them...like sparkle or gems. I wouldn't expect them to work for nothing for me.

I really struggle with this! I always feel bad for charging friends or family but if i do it cheaper for one, I end up having to do it cheaper for about 6 more people!!
My mum always offers me money, sometimes I take it, sometimes I dont!

A lot of my friends have had permanent make up done by me and when they ask how much it is ........ Its extremely difficult to say to them - that £350 for your eyebrows love!!! So I end up doing it to them Dirt cheap just because I feel bad!!!

I also have a couple of friends that expect me to do their waxing for free - they dont even offer me any money at all!!!

Charlotte, take it from an old hand - you must ask for some reasonable payment. Just think about your expenses on training, time and materials. View it as an exchange of energy, and money can be that energy. You are a skill, trained and insured therapist!

It took me years to get my head around charging friends. Some of my friends did not come back for further treatments because they were embarassed about me not charging. I have a rate for friends and family and give them 10% discount on my prices. I would do my Mum for free, but she always turns up with huge bunch of flowers or a bag of shopping. I often do freebies for friends and people who need some TLC (eg., bereaved) but that is when I offer, if people want to have a treatment they are asking me and I now expect them pay. Obviously, husband, kids for free, might swap for cup of tea afterwards!

I have a friend who is a reflexologist and she did a treatment free for someone. She really put her heart into the treatment as she felt sorry for the person, spending lots of time on her. When she finished the 'client' said "thank you that was really wonderful, I am going to book a proper real treatment with the therapist in the local salon." By not having to pay for some reason this woman put no value on the treatment, or my friends professional status and skills. :confused:

I never ever charge my mum and wouldn't dream of doing so - she paid for me to go to college to learn beauty, and for all my kit to do the course, and never wanted me to give her the money back for it - so I feel like I'm paying her back by doing treatments for her.

I also never charge my best friend for anything, as she's a hairdresser, and does my hair for me and my other half - though sometimes if she doesn't have a treatment for a while and I need my hair doing, we will cook her dinner/take her out instead.

For everyone else I charge in full- a lot of friends don't often have treatments with me for this reason, I think they expect it for free and are a bit miffed when I tell them the cost of something!! But as has been said, it's a business, not a charity. My time, qualifications, insurance, products, equipment and advertising all cost money. I work full time doing something other than beauty, so I do treatments in my own time. If they ask for a discount, I ask them "What price would you put on your spare time?" It usually gets the point across!!!

I don't charge my mum, dad, sister or neice anything and I probably wouldn't charge my mother in law although she never has anything done. My mum and dad have lent me a lot of money and my sister and neice help me out a lot with my kids so that is kind of payment enough for me. Close friends and family I charge half price although that is obviously not enough for my sister in law and she probably expects it for free as she is still quite happy to pay her original therapist full price and not use me but hey that is up to her!

I charge everyone full price for treatments. It's my time they are taking up & that's that. I didn't charge family or friends to start with, it took me a while to be comfortable with it but they do prefer to pay as they know that I'm a business.

I do give a discount on products to family & close friends.

I sometimes 'trade' with others (e.g. haircuts, photography etc).

I 'invite' friends/family for free treatments as & when they need some TLC.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back