Fungal infection - toenails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Pan

Too sexy to be old geek
Premium Geek
Reaction score
Thanks Nailzoo for reminding me :hug:

I have a client that came in for a pedicure, and she told me before I started that she has horrible feet (as most of them do) anyway, on inspection of her toenails etc, i noticed that her big toe (just 1) was pretty thick, and crumbly, and the nailbed looked like onycolysis, there was no yellow color visable...and she said that it caused her no pain whatsoever... she said it had been like that for about 15 years, been to the doctors, (no tests were done, she said) but she ws put on tablets for fungal infection also. i managed to clean out the crumbly "undergrowth" for her, and told her to put teatree EO on and down the nail each night, she was in again the other day for us to check it for her...................im pleased to say that it doesnt seem to be anywhere near as bad as it was in the first instance.

she is now coming in for regular pedicures she said.............

my point of this post is to ask.........................is all toenail "fungal" infection like this or not, and would it be ok to carry on doing pedicures for her?

I would ask her to get a doctors note.

If I did treat someone with any question marks over the health of their nails, I would dispose of any files used and thoroughly sanitise my metal tools.

Although it is hard to turn clients away and so tempting to try and help, our insurance would not be valid if we treat clients with a contra-indication, even if they signed a disclaimer.

Hi Chris

She also goes to a chiropodist on a regular basis - which is why i was wondering!!!!!

Hi Chris

She also goes to a chiropodist on a regular basis - which is why i was wondering!!!!!

Maybe even get a note from the chiropodist - just to cover yourself.

She may need more medication. I had a similar problem myself and it was medication that helped. I was advised years previously that it was an injury through running and that I'd need to have my toenail removed at the root (the chiropodist was just after the cost of the operation!!!!!!!). It wasn't until I entered the nail industry that I realised it might be a fungal nail infection and it was. 3-4 months of oral medication sorted it and now my toenail is perfect (almost!). However, the oral medication is pretty strong on the liver and is not suitable for everyone.

i noticed that my mum in law had quite a bad fungal infection on one of her big toes and slightly on a few others when i did her pedicure. i suggested she went to the chiropdist who treated her but she then had to take a note to her doctor to get medication......she was given 2 options......to either take tablet form medication.... which apparantly has damaging side effects on your liver, which she did not want, or there was a paint on treatment which she has had to paint on everyday....but takes longer to work and may not even get rid of it.
well i am really pleased that it has nearly all gone and her nail seems to be still attached to the nail bed...which the chiropodist said it may not re-attch as it was quite bad and had been like it for so long.
I am starting to think that quit alot of people dont know what a fungal infection is or looks like.....and most end up leaving it untreated. I think the symtoms of it can vary to different degrees....your lady sounds like it was quite bad gylnis.... may be she should have gone back to her docs after she finished her medication.... or may be even get her to buy an over the counter treatment from her pharmacist.
i would have thought her chiropodist would have suggested something though if she is having regular visits.....

this is a really good link from the NHS website......
Fungal-nail-infection - Introduction

if you click on the tabs in the black boxes it gives you loads of infomation and there is also a link to give you more info on all the medication that can be used to treat it plus the side effects etc.

Latest posts

Back