Future Nail Geek Competitions. Your Thoughts Please. p

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
Hiya Geeks. Well no sooner have we just completed our Easter Nail Art Comp, then we are headed for a Spring Dress A Toe Nail Comp. I can't keep up:biggrin: but shall get my thinking cap on smartly, lol.

In my very humble opinion, I think it would help to have the rules of future comps clarified more and wonder what you all think about this? Yes, these competitions are meant to be fun and the work produced is just amazing! But we are part of a professional international forum, and I feel that more clarity and definition in the rules would help the entrants achieve their best, albeit fun:green: .

Before I give examples of some of the guidelines I think we need, please realize that I am in no way attempting to critisize anybody's entries from previous comps or the most recent one. My comments are also in no particular order.

1. I think we need to know if props can be used and if so, how? Should a
prop be the focus of the art or should the art be on the nail itself as it
is a nail art competition?

2. Are we allowed to enhance and touch up the photographs using eg.
photo enhancement techniques be it online or with other software, such
creating background images etc.....?

3. I appreciate the difficulty in having separate catagories, but should we
have separate L&P entries from gel? Until I saw Tricky's 3D entry was
achieved in gel, I actually had no idea 3D could be created from gel and
certainly not in a way one can with L&P.

4. As Mum suggested in a previous post, should all nails on one hand be
done as opposed to just one nail?

Please post your comments. Much appreciated. xx

well what started out as just a bit of fun is now becoming something more, so I guess some set rules would be a good idea. but I would suggest that they are set out with each competition as the person who is running the comp will have their own rules in mind. I also much prefer to see a whole hand rather than one pinkie, but that is just my own preference.

Hiya Geeks. Well no sooner have we just completed our Easter Nail Art Comp, then we are headed for a Spring Dress A Toe Nail Comp. I can't keep up:biggrin: but shall get my thinking cap on smartly, lol.

In my very humble opinion, I think it would help to have the rules of future comps clarified more and wonder what you all think about this? Yes, these competitions are meant to be fun and the work produced is just amazing! But we are part of a professional international forum, and I feel that more clarity and definition in the rules would help the entrants achieve their best, albeit fun:green: .

Before I give examples of some of the guidelines I think we need, please realize that I am in no way attempting to critisize anybody's entries from previous comps or the most recent one. My comments are also in no particular order.

1. I think we need to know if props can be used and if so, how? Should a
prop be the focus of the art or should the art be on the nail itself as it
is a nail art competition?I would say that a prop should not be the focus and the nail srt itself should be judged

2. Are we allowed to enhance and touch up the photographs using eg.
photo enhancement techniques be it online or with other software, such
creating background images etc.....?Again I wouldnt allow touching up but cant see a problem with some background being used

3. I appreciate the difficulty in having separate catagories, but should we
have separate L&P entries from gel? Until I saw Tricky's 3D entry was
achieved in gel, I actually had no idea 3D could be created from gel and
certainly not in a way one can with L&P.I think that having different Catagories would be a nightmare to sort out and organise these comps is not a easy job for anyone

4. As Mum suggested in a previous post, should all nails on one hand be
done as opposed to just one nail?
In theory yes but not all techs have lots of time on their hands to sit for hours doing a whole hand of nail art
Please post your comments. Much appreciated. xx

Fab post Tracey :hug: I would like to hear peoples thoughts on this too. But what people need to remember is that these comps are done on a voluntary bias and being too complex just wouldnt work out.

Fab post Tracey :hug: I would like to hear peoples thoughts on this too. But what people need to remember is that these comps are done on a voluntary bias and being too complex just wouldnt work out.
I really do appreciate this Lelli :hug: . It's just that what started out as something small and perhaps a 'one off' has really snowballed in a very positive and wonderful way. And the snowball just seems to be getting bigger and gaining momentum and there is no stopping it :lol: xx

I don't see why it couldn't work Lell as all the major comps are run and judged voluntarily aren't they. the more these comps grow (which I think they will) the more complicated it will become to organise them (just as the big comps have) we will have to adjust to them as we go along I suppose and learn from any mistakes.

I don't see why it couldn't work Lell as all the major comps are run and judged voluntarily aren't they. the more these comps grow (which I think they will) the more complicated it will become to organise them (just as the big comps have) we will have to adjust to them as we go along I suppose and learn from any mistakes.
I agree Jac and don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

Jac I hear where your coming from and yes we could have more complex comps etc but I for one feel that having one every couple of weeks would be too much. Perhaps we should have one big Nail comp annually and run it on a more profesional bias with major companies being more involved and wider publicity from the nail mags :)

Jac I hear where your coming from and yes we could have more complex comps etc but I for one feel that having one every couple of weeks would be too much. Perhaps we should have one big Nail comp annually and run it on a more profesional bias with major companies being more involved and wider publicity from the nail mags :)
I would like to see one every couple of months.:lol:

Once every season maybe?
Would it just be the mods that would organise each one? It's fantastic as it lets us all have a go, not just the tech wizards, but it seems like a lot to ask the individuals who volunteer to organise.
It seems like as one comp finishes, another begins (Easter, then dress a nail again). Lets keep them special. :hug:

I have thought long and hard about the competitions both in a positive and a negative way LOL.

I think it is important that the competitors know the judges criteria as well as the rules.

For example - if one of the marks out of 10 is for the wow factor then a picture showing one nail, however fabulously done is not maybe going to score as high on the wow factor as a picture showing 5 nails tastefully posed round a prop with correct lighting etc.

As these competitions started off as a bit of fun, I think it has spiralled a bit and for some it is no longer a bit of fun but very competitive - not necessarily a bad thing.

At the end of the day what are we looking for - lots of people entering into the spirit of the thing whether they can take a posed picture or not or pictures worthy of a magazine cover which are fantastic.

Maybe this could be a criteria of its own and a competition of its own.

Once every season maybe?
Would it just be the mods that would organise each one? It's fantastic as it lets us all have a go, not just the tech wizards, but it seems like a lot to ask the individuals who volunteer to organise.
It seems like as one comp finishes, another begins (Easter, then dress a nail again). Lets keep them special. :hug:

It is not a mods thing at all - we havent organised them all LOL.

well they are all given a month or more to complete so its not as if its a comp a week, but every three months would be a good idea.

Fiona I agree a cover shot comp would be a brilliant idea.

It is not a mods thing at all - we havent organised them all LOL.

This is not a mod thing has Fiona has said both myself and judy have ran one and we are not mods :)

well they are all given a month or more to complete so its not as if its a comp a week, but every three months would be a good idea.

Fiona I agree a cover shot comp would be a brilliant idea.

Yep design a mag front cover would be fab :)

I can see the need for rules as this is getting bigger. However, I've never entered anything before and if it became really competetive and less for fun I'd feel less inclined to have a go, due to nerves. :lol: Maybe just keep the rules simple? Just my two-penneth. :green:

I think it would be a good idea to supply a copy of a blank score sheet in advance so that people can see what areas they are being judged on, then everyone is working to the same criteria, especially people who haven't entered before and aren't really sure what is expected.

This is not a mod thing has Fiona has said both myself and judy have ran one and we are not mods :)

Oh, ok ....lol. Wasn't sure as had seen 2 or 3 comps since coming on here and I reasonably new. Wasn't sure if you'd done comps previously.

Anyway, once every few months sounds good....just thinking of the workload for the organiser!:eek: I'll be entering when i can, but I may give the cover shot one a miss!!!! I'll leave that one to the real techs. :)

I can see the need for rules as this is getting bigger. However, I've never entered anything before and if it became really competetive and less for fun I'd feel less inclined to have a go, due to nerves. :lol: Maybe just keep the rules simple? Just my two-penneth. :green:

But that's just it, Sals....it is for fun!
God, you'd never get me entering a comp like Olympia or GMEX in a month of Sundays, even at novice level. On here you're granted at least a little anonymity, so you can just go for it!!
Even if it gets competitive and you think you haven't a hope in hell, it's fun to let your imagination (and brushes!) run wild! It's all good practise.:green:

Perhaps we could have some comps for fun and a laugh with less stringent rules and a couple of more competetive/stricter comps for those geeks willing to face the challenge?

I think it would be a good idea to supply a copy of a blank score sheet in advance so that people can see what areas they are being judged on, then everyone is working to the same criteria, especially people who haven't entered before and aren't really sure what is expected.
I think this is a great idea Sassy.

This was the sheet I used kindly provided by Nailinlondon1

Judging Criteria and Marking Guide:

A) Style:
Is the style unique for a Easter nail

B) Workmanship:
Overall view of completed artwork

C) First impression:
“WOW Factor”

D) Use of color and textures:
The use of color and other media, how well does it work together

E) Application of Nail art and finish: