Future Nail Geek Competitions. Your Thoughts Please. p

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can see the need for rules as this is getting bigger. However, I've never entered anything before and if it became really competetive and less for fun I'd feel less inclined to have a go, due to nerves. :lol: Maybe just keep the rules simple? Just my two-penneth. :green:
If your not confident enough to enter the larger comp give the geeky challenge a go instead, its head to head, no prizes and just for fun:)

I think it would be a good idea to supply a copy of a blank score sheet in advance so that people can see what areas they are being judged on, then everyone is working to the same criteria, especially people who haven't entered before and aren't really sure what is expected.
Great idea! I think a lot of the time it's a case of not knowing what is expected of you, especially with someone like me who has never entered any other comps than the ones on this site.
This is where it would become good practice.:)

Admittedly I've only just got over the Easter nail comp and to see another one up is great! But I'm having to gear myself up very quickly to get some motivation and ideas for the next one.
Again, I guess all good practice!

I would like to see a nail comp perhaps once every two months, which for me would keep it special and also give those a chance who are learning new techniques, etc, to master them, so they can put them in to practice for the next one.:)

If your not confident enough to enter the larger comp give the geeky challenge a go instead, its head to head, no prizes and just for fun:)

Well actually I did, hun! :o

What I meant by never having entered anything before was a comp with lots of people involved and certain criteria (really having trouble talking sense today:lol: ).

Having just looked at the dress a nail thread, the rules for that seem to be spot on.

Perhaps we should have one big Nail comp annually and run it on a more profesional bias with major companies being more involved and wider publicity from the nail mags :)

i like this idea , one big comp anually , and a few smaller ones spread throughout the year ,

This is not a mod thing has Fiona has said both myself and judy have ran one and we are not mods :)

wooohooo dont forget me and my geeky challenges :green: lol

just to say , i left the geeky challenge alone this week with the easter comp etc ...but its thursday tomorrow isnt it ?
so i will be ppicking two more ..keep your eyes peeled for an emmsy pm :lol:

I think it would be a good idea to supply a copy of a blank score sheet in advance so that people can see what areas they are being judged on, then everyone is working to the same criteria, especially people who haven't entered before and aren't really sure what is expected.
I think this is an excellent idea, i have never entered any comps other than on here and i had no idea how it was going to be judged so that made it 10 times harder because we had to guess what would be looked for, i like this idea then at least we know what the judges are looking for

Personally I wouldn't enter the competitions as my nailart consists of everything with paints, gems, glitters etc.

I don't make flowers, etc from product so feel it wouldn't be worth me even entering as everybody is far better than I.

Different levels for nail art comps would be great but obviously that would mean more work for the judges and if I'm honest it's a little selfish on my part as I'm not that good!!:Grope:

I do think an annual comp and maybe a few scattered here and there are a great idea though, I do love to look at all the entries.

Teri x :hug:

Personally I wouldn't enter the competitions as my nailart consists of everything with paints, gems, glitters etc.

I don't make flowers, etc from product so feel it wouldn't be worth me even entering as everybody is far better than I.

Different levels for nail art comps would be great but obviously that would mean more work for the judges and if I'm honest it's a little selfish on my part as I'm not that good!!:Grope:

I do think an annual comp and maybe a few scattered here and there are a great idea though, I do love to look at all the entries.

Teri x :hug:

i think i know what you mean here -

the fact that you can only do simple nail art is no competition for say, someone who can do 3d stuff...

i think i know what you mean here -

the fact that you can only do simple nail art is no competition for say, someone who can do 3d stuff...
I disagree Anna, if you look at some of the national photographic comps, there are not many 3d winners in there, but lots of beautiful nails:)
also look at Tricky's winning nails, do you see any 3d there either.

I disagree Anna, if you look at some of the national photographic comps, there are not many 3d winners in there, but lots of beautiful nails:)
also look at trciky's winning nails, do you see any 3d there either.

Maybe I'm just not that creative then :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Teri x:hug:

hello all,

i did some lovely union jack nails that were used on Russell Brand by ITV for the publicity shoot for the BRITS this year, i would love to enter them in a competition, any ideas?

hello all,

i did some lovely union jack nails that were used on Russell Brand by ITV for the publicity shoot for the BRITS this year, i would love to enter them in a competition, any ideas?
oooh I saw those, Hi keely, you lucky girl, why not send them into the scratch shoot out.

oooh I saw those, Hi keely, you lucky girl, why not send them into the scratch shoot out.

Good idea. I saw them too. You should post a pic so everyone can look.

you guys are all so lovely, thanku, what is the scratch shoot out ?

thanks Judy, where would i post the pictures, im still trying to master my way around this site and dont want to put things in the wrong place, im not sure if i am able to upload my pics, do u have to be a special type of member?

You need to start a new thread about this and add the pic to your gallery if possible.

My thoughts are this:

YES it is GREAT to provide a scoring sheet for our viewing so we know what the exact criteria is.

This is a chat forum for professionals and not the gmex or whatever the heck it is called in the UK (competitions at pro level etc...) so lets keep it simple.
Those organizing the different comps ARE DONATING their time. Please, let us not complicate it too much or no one will want to be bothered.
By creating levels of skill blah blah and other issues that complicate it..... you may find that there will be either less comps or none at all.
The purpose of comps is to
A) challenge oneself
B) find inspiration and learn from those that entered.

No matter how complex or how simple a comp may be, there is STILL room to learn from them and grow NO MATTER what your level of skill is, you should STILL participate because even if you do not place, you challenge yourself... THAT is what is important - THE CHALLENGE.

I dont mind if they are monthly or every other month or whatever.. it is all fun... and most techs would not compete in all comps... due to schedules or type of comp etc.

One thing that would be very nice would be if once or twice a year, we had a comp that was VERY stringent with rules and critique AND that our critiques from the judges would be returned to us so we can learn exactly where we went wrong.
YES we have a critique forum, but..... it might be a good way to practice for the huge pro comps, if you know what I mean.

All in all I donèt really mind if they are informal or complex.
It is all about the challenge, the fun, and the learning for me.
As long as they are open to everyone, I am a happy camper.

:green:

also look at Tricky's winning nails, do you see any 3d there either.
Actually, I do see 3D in Tricky's entry which is why I was so amazed to see that it had been acheived with gel, please correct me if I'm wrong, lol.

Those extensions on each nail bend out & over backwards. That is 3D to
me :green: .

My thoughts are this:

YES it is GREAT to provide a scoring sheet for our viewing so we know what the exact criteria is.

This is a chat forum for professionals and not the gmex or whatever the heck it is called in the UK (competitions at pro level etc...) so lets keep it simple.
Those organizing the different comps ARE DONATING their time. Please, let us not complicate it too much or no one will want to be bothered.
By creating levels of skill blah blah and other issues that complicate it..... you may find that there will be either less comps or none at all.
The purpose of comps is to
A) challenge oneself
B) find inspiration and learn from those that entered.

No matter how complex or how simple a comp may be, there is STILL room to learn from them and grow NO MATTER what your level of skill is, you should STILL participate because even if you do not place, you challenge yourself... THAT is what is important - THE CHALLENGE.

I dont mind if they are monthly or every other month or whatever.. it is all fun... and most techs would not compete in all comps... due to schedules or type of comp etc.

One thing that would be very nice would be if once or twice a year, we had a comp that was VERY stringent with rules and critique AND that our critiques from the judges would be returned to us so we can learn exactly where we went wrong.
YES we have a critique forum, but..... it might be a good way to practice for the huge pro comps, if you know what I mean.

All in all I donèt really mind if they are informal or complex.
It is all about the challenge, the fun, and the learning for me.
As long as they are open to everyone, I am a happy camper.

:green:
As this is a professional nail forum, I don't see why a couple of really challenging nail comps would be seen as complicated. Quite often on the geek site, peeps complain that there is too much drivel and not enough meaty nail subjects to tuck into. I feel that comps may be one way of achieving that.

As I mentioned previously, for those wanting to dabble and have fun, we could also have a couple of really fun nail art comps.

I think the competitions are fun and when I organised the Valentines one I had no idea of how much work it would involve and how much of my time it would take.
At the time I did it to get people involved in the nail aspect of the site in a positive way and have fun at the same time.
I think a yearly "Official Geek Comp" could be good if arranged by GMG for example, but as Samuel is a busy man I doubt he would have time to sort it out tbh.
Perhaps as we have more of these competitions the style of the nail art can be decided on the person organising it. For example Halloween nail art hand painted, Bonfire Night 3D etc.
It's good to keep having these comps and I hope we get more geeks prepared to run them.

Latest posts

Back