Future Nail Geek Competitions. Your Thoughts Please. p

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, I do see 3D in Tricky's entry which is why I was so amazed to see that it had been acheived with gel, please correct me if I'm wrong, lol.

Those extensions on each nail bend out & over backwards. That is 3D to
me :green: .
No I wouldn't call them 3d they are sculpts:)

I think the competitions are fun and when I organised the Valentines one I had no idea of how much work it would involve and how much of my time it would take.
At the time I did it to get people involved in the nail aspect of the site in a positive way and have fun at the same time.
I think a yearly "Official Geek Comp" could be good if arranged by GMG for example, but as Samuel is a busy man I doubt he would have time to sort it out tbh.
Perhaps as we have more of these competitions the style of the nail art can be decided on the person organising it. For example Halloween nail art hand painted, Bonfire Night 3D etc.
It's good to keep having these comps and I hope we get more geeks prepared to run them.

I agree with what you have put Judy, Running the comps is hard work I spent most of my easter hols getting the entries ready and e-mailing judges etc. I actually loved every minute of it :) But I think that for all the hard work that goes into doing these comps that more people should enter them. When we post threads regarding comps lots of people say yep I will do it but they never do So come on guys if you want the comps try and support them better.

I agree with what you have put Judy, Running the comps is hard work I spent most of my easter hols getting the entries ready and e-mailing judges etc. I actually loved every minute of it :) But I think that for all the hard work that goes into doing these comps that more people should enter them. When we post threads regarding comps lots of people say yep I will do it but they never do So come on guys if you want the comps try and support them better.
Lelli I do agree with what you have said here, especially the latter part of your post. Unfortunately, it is the same old story though where peeps think 'Ooh yeah that's cool, I'll enter' and then any commitment falls by the way side.

Various reasons for that I'm sure but I personally find it much like the advertized geek meets on this site, where you get 15 post saying, 'Yes, I'll come' and then on the night only 2 or 3 pitch up.

To my way of thinking, it is lack of a disciplined commitment where yes means yes!

No I wouldn't call them 3d they are sculpts:)
If this is the case then it brings me back to point no.3 of my initial thread; that 3D sculpts can only really be achieved with L&P and it appears to be the L&P entries which have gained places in the recent geek comps.

Granted, the entries were very deserving but I think this limits what the gel users can achieve, which is why I think it would be an idea to have separate categories for gel and L&P.

Sorry Tracey , but I don't agree, Tricky has won a couple of comps lately with gel and the hearts one was definitely 3d, comps don't have to be about 3d anyway, they could be hand painted, airbrushed, rhinestones, stickers, flicks, dots, beads, water nails, straw nails and so on, Its down to the judge to decide the theme and down to the entrants to interpret that theme using their chosen medium. IMO:)

As this is a professional nail forum, I don't see why a couple of really challenging nail comps would be seen as complicated. Quite often on the geek site, peeps complain that there is too much drivel and not enough meaty nail subjects to tuck into. I feel that comps may be one way of achieving that.

As I mentioned previously, for those wanting to dabble and have fun, we could also have a couple of really fun nail art comps.

When I speak of complicated, I mean by adding levels, and stricter rules, etc etc; thus complicating or increasing the amount of work to be done by the organizers etc........
By adding levels, then there would have to be guidelines that determine how everyone fits in each level, etc etc.
You follow?
:wink2:
Just one example of how it could become complicated for the person doing all the work for which he/she/them are not paid for.
:hug:

ok i would just like to say on this gel versis l and p versis fibreglass. I am trained in all of these systems and i know that i would have been able to achive the same set of nails in my easter comp entrie in all these systems, i would have just aproched the process of making them bend in a different way it is possible to do anything in any system. So why feel the need to seperate the systems in comps if the finished results are the same :)

I certainly don't think it matters what system is used - it is the finished result that matters. The fact that Tricky achieved such awesome results with gel is an even bigger achievement.

Well done Tricky!

It's funny how i just started a hread the other day bringing up roughly the same ideas and i didn't even get one reply...
Well, i think there should be a forum for competitions only, 3 threads per comp, one for anouncement, another to release the entries and finally the winners. The annoucement should be sticky untill the deadline expires, there should be a minimum period to anounce the comp before it starts, a minimum period that the comp runs for.
I think there should be 2 types of comps, one voted by judges and other by all geeks via poll.
A prize is optional and might be absent in many comps, i know i love to participate just for the sake of it.
I also think there should be rules for the competitions in general but some rules should be specific for that comp, like 1 nail, 1 hand, both hands, 1 foot, both feet, only gel, only acrylic, all systems, hand painted, 3D, airbrushed, etc...

I certainly don't think it matters what system is used - it is the finished result that matters. The fact that Tricky achieved such awesome results with gel is an even bigger achievement.

Well done Tricky!
I am genuinely in awe of what Tricky acheived & Tricky knows this. I hope nobody thinks I posted this thread with sour grapes where the winners are concerned and I did touch on this in my initial post:hug: .

Call this thread 'market research'. I am just trying to get peeps opinions and thoughts on this topic. All taken on board and trust me when I say, that I have learned so much re comps in the last few days with the various feedback I've had.

Thank you everybody for your posts and replies on this thread:) . Much appreciated. xx

Well, i think there should be a forum for competitions only, 3 threads per comp, one for anouncement, another to release the entries and finally the winners.
I don't think we need a new forum just for competitions when the comp threads are already either sticky or on the homepage of the site.

The annoucement should be sticky untill the deadline expires, there should be a minimum period to anounce the comp before it starts, a minimum period that the comp runs for.
We already do that :D

I think there should be 2 types of comps, one voted by judges and other by all geeks via poll.
Voting by geeks in a poll wouldn't be possible because you can only have 10 choices in a poll and there's always more than 10 entries.

A prize is optional and might be absent in many comps, i know i love to participate just for the sake of it.
I agree.
I personally would like to see more members entering the competitions, hopefully the number of entries would increase if there was one larger competition each year.

I personally would like to see more members entering the competitions, hopefully the number of entries would increase if there was one larger competition each year.

I don't feel ready to enter the comps yet but I do love looking at the entries.

The present system seems fine to me, though I haven't had the task of running one)

I'm not sure that you would get more entries if there was only one a year as we all have different busy seasons / things going on in our personal lives etc that I suspect it would remain about the same.

My only strong feeling is that the guidelines should be stricter ie the dress a nail and the dress a foot tell you exactly what props are permitted so everyone has the same starting point.

Maybe I should put my money where my mouth is........anyone got a spare foot !!!

I don't feel ready to enter the comps yet but I do love looking at the entries.

The present system seems fine to me, though I haven't had the task of running one)

I'm not sure that you would get more entries if there was only one a year as we all have different busy seasons / things going on in our personal lives etc that I suspect it would remain about the same.

My only strong feeling is that the guidelines should be stricter ie the dress a nail and the dress a foot tell you exactly what props are permitted so everyone has the same starting point.

Maybe I should put my money where my mouth is........anyone got a spare foot !!!
I say go for it Adele. My first comp was the Valentine comp and I honestly do think my entry was laughable:lol: :lol: :lol: !

But I improved with the second comp and have learned so much recently about entering these that I'm looking forward to entering the next one. It is great fun.

Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly :wink2:... what I meant was, continue having competitions through the year, maybe with more of a break inbetween each one, then have one big comp per year, eg Salon Nails etc.

The annoucement should be sticky untill the deadline expires, there should be a minimum period to anounce the comp before it starts, a minimum period that the comp runs for.
We already do that :D.

Is the Dress a Nail Spring/Summer 2007 a sticky?
Why is the Easter Comp Entries a sticky if the comp is already closed?
What are the minniumum periods?
When i sugested a new sub-forum it was so that this forum could have rules, rules that would regulate how the comps should work.

Voting by geeks in a poll wouldn't be possible because you can only have 10 choices in a poll and there's always more than 10 entries.

We already have competitons voted by geeks, aren't the challenges comps?

About limiting the number of competitions per year at this time i think it would be bad. Now the competitions are still a very fresh thing, and new ideas are still arising, if we limit the number of competitions we will stick to the ones we have now and leave new ideas for comps out.

If you read my previous post I said they're either made sticky OR are on the homepage.

It has been left as a sticky so that members can see the entries, we leave them for a while before removing the 'sticky'.

I only bolded and replied to the 'sticky' issue in your previous reply, not the minimum period.

When i sugested a new sub-forum it was so that this forum could have rules, rules that would regulate how the comps should work.

They're head to head challenges with 2 technicians competing against each other.
We can only have 10 options on the polls for votes, it wouldn't be possible to do a poll for 25 (or more) entries without making 3 separate threads and that would be confusing to the voters.

About limiting the number of competitions per year at this time i think it would be bad. Now the competitions are still a very fresh thing, and new ideas are still arising, if we limit the number of competitions we will stick to the ones we have now and leave new ideas for comps out.
We don't have to stick to the same style of competition all of the time, it can be changed to offer different styles and varieties of nails, JMO ofcourse :wink2:

[/color]

The geeky challenges are not comps at all. They are most deffinately just for fun. No prizes, no rules, only two people at a time producing nails so a poll can be used. The winner of the previous poll selects a theme, two geek produce nails for that theme. Thats the only rule.

We look at them as a way to make people think outside the box, a theme can mean so many different things to the two geeks working on it as we have seen in the pictures that have been posted. It is interesting to see what each geek thinks the theme means, the last one being a brill example, two totally different nails but both fell within the Mirror Mirror theme.

Look at them as Geeky challenges not comps.

Why not list all the comps in one thread with dates and person who is running the comp, so we could pick and choose which one we want to enter. The person running the comp can have a list of "rules" to send to geeks who want to enter.

I think they have to remain fun, and thats the most appealing thing for me. FUN:lol:

We have been looking into the best way to move forward with this so stay tuned :)

geeky challenges are NOT competitions , they are challenges ,to challenge ones self !
if you want to that is x

Latest posts

Back