Gave Up Offering Nail Enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too am finding it hard to compete with the local NNS. I actually think now that enhancements account for approx 1/6 of my business when almost a year ago it was 1/3.

I have now begun a huge marketing push on my other treatments as they are keeping my little salon afloat. And I NEVER thought I would be saying that!!

tigi

I too am finding it hard to compete with the local NNS. I actually think now that enhancements account for approx 1/6 of my business when almost a year ago it was 1/3.

I have now begun a huge marketing push on my other treatments as they are keeping my little salon afloat. And I NEVER thought I would be saying that!!

tigi

If it weren't for Shellac and my AMAZING pedicures (yes, I'm patting myself on the back), my business would be going under right now. The NSSs have undercut nail professionals because, let's face it, the economy is pretty bad. Women are less likely to risk a fungus on their toes that can cost them thousands of dollars to get rid of....so they still come to see me for this treatment; however, having their nails efiled down to a paper-thin texture can be covered up with more gel or acrylic for just $15 at an NSS.

Something needs to be done about these awful places! I have clients who have only ever been to These type of salons and think that having enhancements destroy their nails so will not have them ever again! :( xx

I completely agree that something should be done. My husband gets his hair cut right next door to ther perticular salon i was mentioning before in the thread. They acually are qualified to cut hair and do a great job. However when i go with him i constantly see people going in and out of the 'salon' next door. They are paying cheap prices, Result! Right? No, i look at some of the nails coming out or even being done and im horried. Some of their nail enhancements look like blocks stuck on top of the nail itself. They offer 'gel' but i saw someone sitting with their hands UNDER A FAN!!! no UV light at all. All the 'technicians' have masks on and im pretty sure its because they are using MMA products insted of EMA. Does anyone know of a board or something we can put a complaint in about the certain salons? It really makes me mad seeing people walk in unknowingly to get their nails damamged. I almost want to walk in there and offer everyone free removal just to help them out. Of course i wouldnt do that but still! Lol sorry for the somewhat rant :p

Does anyone know of a board or something we can put a complaint in about the certain salons? It really makes me mad seeing people walk in unknowingly to get their nails damamged. I almost want to walk in there and offer everyone free removal just to help them out. Of course i wouldnt do that but still! Lol sorry for the somewhat rant :p

Yes, you can contact your local state board and file a complaint against the salon. I would FIRST go into the salon and see if the salon is licensed and if the techs are licensed. Then go from there. HTH! :)

Ahh great. That helps alot. My only problem being is they speak very very little english that im not sure they would actually understand me :| worth a try though deffinatly! Thanks again!

Ahh great. That helps alot. My only problem being is they speak very very little english that im not sure they would actually understand me :| worth a try though deffinatly! Thanks again!

Every state in the US, with the exception of Connecticut, requires a salon/nail tech to be licensed. The license must be displayed PROMINENTLY for all to see. If you go into the salon and DON'T see a license, chances are they are not licensed.

I have something to say here:green:.... after just reading the whole thread.

@Mooey - I really don't think any offense was meant but on the other hand I can imagine from your point of view that it is annoying, frustrating and hurtful - but be that as it may... you need to draw a line knowing you are great at what you do! :hug:

To All - the Asian community (Korean, Chinese, Philippino, Vietnamese and on) tend to be a very proud race of people and I imagine that the main problems can be due to language barriers and yes, lack of education. It may be that their place of work is not willing to invest. On the otherhand, I also see some of the most amazing work created by nail pros from these countries... :eek:

@gr8nailz - as a fellow ex Sunshine State dweller (Sarasota), I hear you, but I also think you have to THINK & ACT differently with your Service Menu. Many of you still use the term Pink & White which IMHO is way out of date and... old:irked:. If you want people to see your nails as DIFFERNT to those coming from a 'discount salon' then UP YOUR GAME and STOP trying to compete on price. You will never win!

So, as is the case, make yourself MORE expensive but have MAJOR points of difference as to what you do and why you charge the money you do. Become a MASTER Nail Tek, start using terms like Forever French, Permenant Manicure... make yourself different, get educated every few months so you ALWAYS have new nail skills (CND are brilliant at this) and I can promise you - the customer will see you as different, better and exclusive and she will pay that extra $$$ to have that better job!

HTH's and I certainly hope I haven't offened anyone! We need to have CREATIVE thinking not competative thinking!!:!::idea::hug:

Last edited:
I did market myself differently but decided to give up on a losing battle. In a 5 mile radius of my salon there are 17 NSS salons offering nails enhancements ranging from $12 - $17. I was just so disappointed because I felt that I was creating art.

This is what I told my last regular acrylic client who left for an NSS because it was "cheaper":
Always remember this, you had a regularly scheduled appointment...just you and me. When you sat down at my table, your ice cold glass of champagne was already waiting for you. The heat and massage on your chair was turned on, ready and waiting as was the foot massager. I'd created several nail art swatches with you in mind for your treatment that day. When the enhancement service was complete, I'd exfoliate your hands with an exotic sugar scrub and massage your hands with an equally exotic lotion then I'd wrapped them in hot towels. About an hour after it all began, some great conversation and a couple glasses of champagne later, I'd send you on your way ooooing and aaaaahing about your nails. I'm not expensive. I'm wonderful. I wish you the best.

I did market myself differently but decided to give up on a losing battle. In a 5 mile radius of my salon there are 17 NSS salons offering nails enhancements ranging from $12 - $17. I was just so disappointed because I felt that I was creating art.

This is what I told my last regular acrylic client who left for an NSS because it was "cheaper":
Always remember this, you had a regularly scheduled appointment...just you and me. When you sat down at my table, your ice cold glass of champagne was already waiting for you. The heat and massage on your chair was turned on, ready and waiting as was the foot massager. I'd created several nail art swatches with you in mind for your treatment that day. When the enhancement service was complete, I'd exfoliate your hands with an exotic sugar scrub and massage your hands with an equally exotic lotion then I'd wrapped them in hot towels. About an hour after it all began, some great conversation and a couple glasses of champagne later, I'd send you on your way ooooing and aaaaahing about your nails. I'm not expensive. I'm wonderful. I wish you the best.

Well if that is the service I would be getting I'm in!!! What about the Yacht Club / Polo club types - that is the market who would want this type of service.

Ooh your treatment sounds lovely!! Can I book in? ;-) xx lol

Wow. Sounds super expensive for you!

Well if that is the service I would be getting I'm in!!! What about the Yacht Club / Polo club types - that is the market who would want this type of service.

I'm in a 5-star salon. There are no higher stars than that. You're coming to a 5-star salon...you know the prices will be higher but look at what you're getting, not to mention the ambiance. For a time, the owner discounted my pricing. But all it did was bring in people looking for a deal. They never came back. I didn't think they would.

When my last regular client quit on me a couple of weeks ago, I took enhancements off my menu of regular services. It's now just a "Special Event" service I offer. I charge the heck out of people for it too! I did a bride and her bride's maids this weekend. It was criminal how much I charged each of them. They had no problem with it, though.

Anyway, that's why I started this thread. Frustration.

We have the same here and yet I know a tech who having got that type of competition, charges way more then those nail bars, her book is full, her waiting list is long and her clients travel, some of them 30 miles to see her.
She lets the 'I can't afford it' crowd go else where. I don't think she would remember the last time she did a set of pink and white, her ladies go for the more artistic look. Apart from her web site, I don't know where or even if she advertises. Her work ROCKS. As Mrs Geek said, you are aiming for the wrong clients. Your service should be aiming at peeps who don't worry about how much a set of nails cost.
Seriously hun, don't stop doing the service. Re launch it aimed at a completely different client, the client who wouldn't be seen dead in a nail bar.

I agree! I can't see how someone would choose a discount joint over YOU! :)

Blumin heck, book me in that sounds awesome!! Champagne and foot massage? Wow! I'm long due a holiday in America anyway! Lol. 

I'm with everyone else lol. Book me in. Well when I'm next in Florida anyways, goodness knows when that will ever be. But if I do, I'm making sure I go some where near you so I can get one of them amazing treatments. I hope you get some more respectful clients soon.

Why, thank you ladies! If any of you ever make it to my salon in sunny Florida, come see me and we'll share stories over a glass or 3 of champagne.

Latest posts

Back