Gave Up Offering Nail Enhancements

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well if that is the service I would be getting I'm in!!! What about the Yacht Club / Polo club types - that is the market who would want this type of service.

You know, I'm very loyal to the salon owner. He's dedicated to his staff and treats us like family. This man takes on Caribbean cruises, no expense to us. Treats us and our families to fabulous dinners at exclusives restaurants for every holiday. Never misses a birthday or special event in our lives. I'm not going anywhere. He's wonderful to work for. He made this salon/spa into what it is...5-star. It's premiere. I'll quit whining and end my pity party here.

Always remember this, you had a regularly scheduled appointment...just you and me. When you sat down at my table, your ice cold glass of champagne was already waiting for you. The heat and massage on your chair was turned on, ready and waiting as was the foot massager. I'd created several nail art swatches with you in mind for your treatment that day. When the enhancement service was complete, I'd exfoliate your hands with an exotic sugar scrub and massage your hands with an equally exotic lotion then I'd wrapped them in hot towels. About an hour after it all began, some great conversation and a couple glasses of champagne later, I'd send you on your way ooooing and aaaaahing about your nails. I'm not expensive. I'm wonderful. I wish you the best.

Wow this all sounds amazing - I wish I was closer to come and experience the service you offer :)

x

I have some questions.

If the NSS cleans up their act, use high end product like CND and Shellac, go to classes and recieve education, how would we all feel then..?

Will we be happy that they are finally all turning into 'professional' salons..?

Or will we think otherwise because if they are a considered 'threat' to some of us at present, then would they not be even more of a threat to us if they get the education they need and becomes true 'professionals'.

How would we all feel..?? Will we all be cheering that nss have finally all disappeared...? or Will we be kicking ourselves that because of all our pressure, they have now become 'standard salons', become even better at what they do and taken even more of our business...?

Its a question I wanted to ask because recently, I read somewhere here that some people are angry that Gelish has been introduced into some of these discount salons. Why are we angry that these salons are finally upping their game and started to get the education from reputable companies that we always wanted them to have..? That they are finally using the same products that we use...? What exactly are we angry about..?

Or is it because we secretly feel threaten by the fact they if these salons do get the education they need, use the same products that we use and comply with our health and hygiene ways, then we will have nothing more to complain about them and will find them to be of serious competition...??

I'm raising these questions because I am genuinely curious about how we all would really feel if they were all changed to a standard salons, for them to be using the same products as us and for them to be educated enough to do nails the same safe way as us.

I am not asking because I agree with what they are doing.

I'm the one who started this thread so I feel compelled to answer. I became a nail professional because I felt I was creating art not because I was churning out nails like a factory. I am disappointed in my clients who I thought appreciated how hard I worked to make each and every experience just that...an experience. They didn't care. They didn't care at all.

Frankly, I don't care if these NSSs are sanitary. I really don't. I don't care if they get the training or certifications to make them "professionals" like us. My clients are still not coming back because it's about the all mightly dollar. I'm hurt that my clients I worked so hard for didn't care one bit how much time and effort I put into making their nails into works of art...not just nails. NSSs have robbed that from us by undercutting us price wise. The art of nails is being lost. It's become utilitarian.

I have some questions.

If the NSS cleans up their act, use high end product like CND and Shellac, go to classes and recieve education, how would we all feel then..?

Will we be happy that they are finally all turning into 'professional' salons..?

Or will we think otherwise because if they are a considered 'threat' to some of us at present, then would they not be even more of a threat to us if they get the education they need and becomes true 'professionals'.

How would we all feel..?? Will we all be cheering that nss have finally all disappeared...? or Will we be kicking ourselves that because of all our pressure, they have now become 'standard salons', become even better at what they do and taken even more of our business...?

Its a question I wanted to ask because recently, I read somewhere here that some people are angry that Gelish has been introduced into some of these discount salons. Why are we angry that these salons are finally upping their game and started to get the education from reputable companies that we always wanted them to have..? That they are finally using the same products that we use...? What exactly are we angry about..?

Or is it because we secretly feel threaten by the fact they if these salons do get the education they need, use the same products that we use and comply with our health and hygiene ways, then we will have nothing more to complain about them and will find them to be of serious competition...??

I'm raising these questions because I am genuinely curious about how we all would really feel if they were all changed to a standard salons, for them to be using the same products as us and for them to be educated enough to do nails the same safe way as us.

I am not asking because I agree with what they are doing.

You raise some excellent points! :)

Personally, I want ALL salon personnel to be educated, use professional only products, comply with safety procedures and turn out the best work possible.

I also thinks there needs to be a differentiation made between discount salons and 'NSS'.

Just because a salon offers discounted prices, that doesn't necessarily make them a non-standard salon. By the same token, just because a salon is high end, that doesn't necessarily make them a standard salon.

Also, I think competition is great. It makes us better and makes us WANT to be better at what we do. Because of competion, I will attend every class I can, read everything I can and do whatever it takes to make me stand out.

Deanosnana, agreed. One must stay educated in order to stay on top of ones game. You can't be the best if you don't know the best. I like healthy competition. It makes me better. That's how I got to be as good as I am. I'm proud of my work. Maybe one day I'll go back to doing what I used to, servicing a regular enhancement clientele. Quite frankly, for now, I'm heartbroken by the lack of loyalty of my clients.

Quite frankly, for now, I'm heartbroken by the lack of loyalty of my clients.

Hey gr8nailz, from what I have read from all your posts, you seem like a great nail tech ( just like your name..!) and I am sorry that you feel so dishearted at the moment about your clients. :hug:

NSSs have robbed that from us by undercutting us price wise. The art of nails is being lost. It's become utilitarian.

I can see from your price comparison that the prices between nss and standard salons in American seem a big difference, but actually in the UK, the nss are not always that cheap.

The ones along my high street, for example, they charge £25 for a set of enhancements with just plain pink powder, if you want forever french, then they charge you an extra £5 to 'spray' it on, and then if you want high gloss, they charge another £5 for UV gel top coat. So all in total, you pay £35 for a set of nails, which, is actually MORE than a lot of qualified nail techs on here..!!

My real question is, why are most of us so sure that the ONLY reason our clients go into these salons is because of price and price alone..? Are there any other aspects or, dare I say, advantages of these salons that we are dismissing..?? Yes, we all know that their procedure in doing nails is wrong, but are the nails they do really that rubbish...?

Personally, I have seen these girls in action.
I am sure some of you will disagree with me but I am actually amazed by their APPLICATION SKILLS.
'Application skills' as in when the product actually hits the nail and is made into an enhancement.
They are precise, in control and can make a nail in 10 secs with minimal buffing afterwards. These girls do not waste time and is extremely quick at what they do. I am a qualified nail technician but I will be the first to put my hand up and say I can not do what can they do in their time. Is that then not a big advantage..? something that a lot our clients actually wants..? Quick beautiful nails in seconds...??

I have also heard on here that the nails they do are of 'factory' standard. The exact same flat square nails throughout for everyone. This is true, but however, is this true because they really don't have the skills to make a good nail..? or is it true because they simply have not been taught to how to make a good nail...?

So, if one day, these girls are actually taught by a reputable company and then end up using their reputable products, then will they then not become even better and even quicker than they are already...?

Theory, nail shapes, Health and hygiene or even apex placement are easy to learn, the hardest part of becoming a great technician is learning the application skills, which actually, a lot of these girls are already highly competent in.

So, take for example if the nss do up their game and use branded products and gain education. Then they may have to put their prices up accordingly, therefore making their set of nails £50 instead of the £35 they are charging now. And the table turns, it will be THEM who becomes the better 'professionals', it will be THEM who are the higher standard salons and it will be US who becomes the lower end of the market maybe even refering to as 'discount stores' because we are cheaper.

Then how would that make us all feel....??

Again, I must stress, that I ask these questions not because I agree with what the nss does, but I am trying to help us see the 'problem' in a different way. Maybe if we can view things in a different perspective, then we may be less angry about problem and use the time instead to improve on ourselves and up our own standards ready for whatever competition...?

Last edited:
Good points. Very good points, all.

I have said for years that many of the technicians in the fast service discount salons have tremendous talent ... They are very dexterous and very quick learners with inborn artistic talent.

All they lack, my friends, is more in depth knowledge and training. They will get it and sooner rather than later. They will learn and grow just as they have in the USA. We have to learn and grow and improve along with them.

Great thought provoking post, flower. X

Good points. Very good points, all.

Thank you. Thank you very much for not mis-reading my intentions.

Personally, like Deanosnana, I would like to see ALL salons becoming professional salons. I would like to see these girls get the correct education and use the same brands that we do. It is the ONLY way to improve on our industry.

But in order to do this, we must be encouraging these salons to gain the education they need. We must be encouraging these girls by telling them that they are extremely good at what they do, but their methods are completely wrong.

Mrs Geek is correct. The South East Asians are very proud nations. They do not like to ask for help. So how do we think they feel when they come on websites like this and see us 'professionals' time and time again smacked them down and put them to the ground..? Sad..? Scared..? Angry..? dis-respected..?

Will it make them change their ways..? I'm afraid not. Not at all.
All it will do is make these talented girls feel scared of us and drift further and further away from us and real education because we are not willing to accept them into our industry. They will keep doing what they are doing, since anyhow, they have nothing to worry about as they are the ones who are getting the clients in anyway.
The nss will never disappear and things will never improve.

So we must help them. We must stop complaining and putting up threads after threads about how bad and what a disgrace they are. We must get the message out there that we are willing to help if they are willing to help themselves.

Instead of picking up on their bad points ( which actually is the cause of non education) , we should be encouraging them to seek real education, to use the correct products and to actually care for the clients health and safety. We have to stop our prejudice and discrimination.

Maybe then, and only then, will they begin put their guards down - because we no longer look down at them - and they will finally be willing to seek help from reputable companies to move themselves away from being a non standard salon.

There is no use complaining all the time and expecting the government to put in some sort of 'standards' because this has been talked about many times and nothing has become of it. We, the nail technicians in the industry should be people setting the standards. If these girls really do improve themselves and all become standard salons, then haven't we achieved something already..?

Many of you may not agree with me, but I personally think that with their exceptional application skills and with our correct education and guidance, these girls will be an asset to our industry. They may even have the ability to help us push our industry to a higher standard level.

As Deanosnana said, healthy competition is a good competition, if these girls become so good and we are finding ourselves struggling to keep up, then wouldn't that just make the rest of us strive to better ourselves..? There will no longer then be room for incompetent nail techs, and all that are left are the best of the best.

Would that not then improve our industry as a whole and finally allowing us to gain the respect for what we do that we have always wanted..?

The truth is, these girls are not going to go away. So, instead of trying to put them down all the time and to get rid of them, is it not a better idea to make use of their good points and help them get better education to improve themselves and our industry..?

Last edited:
Flower, you have hit the nail on the head with your posts. I'd rep you again, but I gotta spread the love. Great posts and very thought provoking. I completely agree with you! :hug:

I did market myself differently but decided to give up on a losing battle. In a 5 mile radius of my salon there are 17 NSS salons offering nails enhancements ranging from $12 - $17. I was just so disappointed because I felt that I was creating art.

This is what I told my last regular acrylic client who left for an NSS because it was "cheaper":
Always remember this, you had a regularly scheduled appointment...just you and me. When you sat down at my table, your ice cold glass of champagne was already waiting for you. The heat and massage on your chair was turned on, ready and waiting as was the foot massager. I'd created several nail art swatches with you in mind for your treatment that day. When the enhancement service was complete, I'd exfoliate your hands with an exotic sugar scrub and massage your hands with an equally exotic lotion then I'd wrapped them in hot towels. About an hour after it all began, some great conversation and a couple glasses of champagne later, I'd send you on your way ooooing and aaaaahing about your nails. I'm not expensive. I'm wonderful. I wish you the best.

Pleeeeeaaasseee do this for me!!! I wouldn't care how much it costs for something as amazing as this :) and once every 2-3 weeks isn't amounting to that much money for pampering and perfect nails. How much do you charge for this service? x

Flower,

I can't speak to the NSS industry in the UK, only in the U.S. A lot of the young women working in the salons here had their way into the U.S. paid by the salon owners who may or may not be family members and who, are usually, men. The salon owners send them to nail school. These women spend years paying back their debt for having been brought over to the U.S. and being sent to nail school. How do they pay their debt? By working ridiculously long hours in the salon owner's NSS. It is a vicious cycle that is seldom broken once the young woman gets in. She starts making good money and gets use to the low standards set for her. Again, I can only speak to the NSSs here in the U.S. I don't know their reality in the UK.

This client was scheduled exactly every 18 days. A back fill cost $35. For a full set, which is what she came in for her last day with me, I charged $55 because she got sculptured pink and whites with a gel overlay.

Pleeeeeaaasseee do this for me!!! I wouldn't care how much it costs for something as amazing as this :) and once every 2-3 weeks isn't amounting to that much money for pampering and perfect nails. How much do you charge for this service? x

This client was scheduled exactly every 18 days. A back fill cost $35. For a full set, which is what she came in for her last day with me, I charged $55 because she got sculptured pink and whites with a gel overlay.

Flower,

I can't speak to the NSS industry in the UK, only in the U.S. A lot of the young women working in the salons here had their way into the U.S. paid by the salon owners who may or may not be family members and who, are usually, men. The salon owners send them to nail school. These women spend years paying back their debt for having been brought over to the U.S. and being sent to nail school. How do they pay their debt? By working ridiculously long hours in the salon owner's NSS. It is a vicious cycle that is seldom broken once the young woman gets in. She starts making good money and gets use to the low standards set for her. Again, I can only speak to the NSSs here in the U.S. I don't know their reality in the UK.

Gr8nailz, I live across the pond, so I don't really know the ins and outs of these nails bars in the USA. But I do believe that major companies have taken the lead and things have already been done in the US to change the situation of the non standard salons and it has been proven to work.

Maybe Geeg can post and and tell us a little more about it..? She is an American and she has seen more happening in the industry in the last 20 or so years than many of us put together.

In regards to the UK, none of these girls in these salons has been sent to school. They learn from each other and pick up bad habits as they go along. They have been taught to make fast money in fast time, so they do what they have to do to achieve that.

They don't know any different. No one taught them that instead of sitting there for 8 hours making 30 sets of nails. They can actually make MORE money by doing less sets sitting for less hours if they get the correct education and using reputable brands.

They have not been in contact with anyone other than their own little circle. They have their pride. We don't seem to welcome them and hate them so much so why would they ask us for help...?
It's always been THEM and US.
But does it have to always stay being them and us..?
Why can't we all come together and do something to help them BECOME us..?

I know not of one person who enjoys to be looked down upon.
The South East Asians more so because of their cultural background and upbringing.
Respect is one of the most important factors in their culture.
Respect for eldest, respect for each other and respect for themselves.
I would think that if better prospects and better opportunties were offered to them in order to gain that respect, they will be happy to take it with both hands.

If we had the backing of the bigger companies and if we, as nail technicians can first put down our prejudice towards them, then maybe, just maybe, we can make them different.

Last edited:
Flower you would be a great motivational speaker lol. Very good points raised! :)

Gr8nailz, I live across the pond, so I don't really know the ins and outs of these nails bars in the USA. But I do believe that major companies have taken the lead and things have already been done in the US to change the situation of the non standard salons and it has been proven to work.

Maybe Geeg can post and and tell us a little more about it..? She is an American and she has seen more happening in the industry in the last 20 or so years than many of us put together.

In regards to the UK, none of these girls in these salons has been sent to school. They learn from each other and pick up bad habits as they go along. They have been taught to make fast money in fast time, so they do what they have to do to achieve that.

They don't know any different. No one taught them that instead of sitting there for 8 hours making 30 sets of nails. They can actually make MORE money by doing less sets sitting for less hours if they get the correct education and using reputable brands.

They have not been in contact with anyone other than their own little circle. They have their pride. We don't seem to welcome them and hate them so much so why would they ask us for help...?
It's always been THEM and US.
But does it have to always stay being them and us..?
Why can't we all come together and do something to help them BECOME us..?

I know not of one person who enjoys to be looked down upon.
The South East Asians more so because of their cultural background and upbringing.
Respect is one of the most important factors in their culture.
Respect for eldest, respect for each other and respect for themselves.
I would think that if better prospects and better opportunties were offered to them in order to gain that respect, they will be happy to take it with both hands.

If we had the backing of the bigger companies and if we, as nail technicians can first put down our prejudice towards them, then maybe, just maybe, we can make them different.

Ah...see, there in lies the difference. At least the women who work in the NSSs here in the U.S., for the most part, have gone to school and received their licenses. You're waging a completely different war over there. Please keep pushing for their education because it seems, from reading the thread, you have some talented women doing good work. With the education behind them, they'll only make better professionals out of us all.

Latest posts

Back