Gel colour from OPI, What's everyone's opinion on that?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well geeks, seems some of you will have been using this gel polish a while now.. what's the verdict?

Honest opinion Rinn. I love it. I find it lasts better on my clients with nails that peel as opposed to Shellac (I use shellac as well which I also love).

If I was to have one moan it's that you have to be soooo careful near any natural daylight because it will cure your topcoat brush in a second.

But my clients love the colours and I've just started to mix the gels in a CND dog bowl dish to make new coloursmwhich are going down a storm. Never get shrinkage anymore and this to me is purely caused by not correctly shakingnthe bottle.

Can't wait for the next new batch of colours in September. Hth. Xx

I love it too, stays on really well, easy removal, great colours and matching lacquers!

xx

ah thanks for replying geeks, i should be unwrapping my starter kit and led lamp today or tomorrow..so excited....
love shellac too but find the colours a bit samey..and yes i do layer .

Cream puff i find it gets too thick to use and end up throwing half a bottle away. must be just me though as most geeks don't seem to have a problem with it.

i'm a fast confident polisher, keep caps clean , out of direct sunlight etc but had the same thing with their regular cream puff polish.

I use Opi for my manicures and pedicures and introduced shellac to the salon in December, I was so close to waiting for the Opi gel colour ! But thought I would go for shellac due to its high recommendation on here.
I am finding a few clients don't get on with shellac. Can you use the Cnd lamp with the Opi system or would I need everything Opi (I know I would need all Opi base, top etc etc)
Also have you trained with Opi gel colour ?
Would be interested to try it !
Jojo x

I bought OPI gelcolor a couple of Weeks ago as I have lost my certificates and couldn't but shellac. I got mine from sallys and I LOVE it!!
So easy to apply and has lasted over a week on me and still looks perfect. Even after doing loads of sets of nails, running round and cleaning up after 4 kids, bleaching my house constantly without gloves. I've really been hard on them so I can.get a real feel for what they're like and I'm very impressed xx

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I've just invested in OPI Gelcolor as well and absolutely love it. It is so shiny (even more than shellac! - just my opinion though! ) I haven’t got the led lamp yet as I’ve already got an opi uv lamp and a shellac lamp and couldn’t really justify buying another lamp.
K-nails how to you mix colours! Does OPI have a pdf for this like CND have for shellac layering combos?
rinn neimhe - i know what you mean about cream buff and studio white mine have also gone quite thick and not as easy to work with. i haven’t got a French combo yet with gelcolor but seriously considering it.

I use Opi for my manicures and pedicures and introduced shellac to the salon in December, I was so close to waiting for the Opi gel colour ! But thought I would go for shellac due to its high recommendation on here.
I am finding a few clients don't get on with shellac. Can you use the Cnd lamp with the Opi system or would I need everything Opi (I know I would need all Opi base, top etc etc)
Also have you trained with Opi gel colour ?
Would be interested to try it !
Jojo x

Hi jojo

I use my CND lamp,andmhave no problems.

1 min. Base
2 mins colour
3 mins top

Xxx

I've just invested in OPI Gelcolor as well and absolutely love it. It is so shiny (even more than shellac! - just my opinion though! ) I haven’t got the led lamp yet as I’ve already got an opi uv lamp and a shellac lamp and couldn’t really justify buying another lamp.
K-nails how to you mix colours! Does OPI have a pdf for this like CND have for shellac layering combos?
rinn neimhe - i know what you mean about cream buff and studio white mine have also gone quite thick and not as easy to work with. i haven’t got a French combo yet with gelcolor but seriously considering it.

Hi ya Hun

I simply mix them in the little stainless steel dog bowl that CND sell. Just use a little and I mean a little of what ever colours you want and mix with a wooden stick or something similar. Only make enough for one set of nails otherwise it's a waste. A little goes a long way.

OPI in my opinion doesn't layer well.

Just remember girls keep away from conservatories or windows it will ruin your top and base coat brushes and make them go rock hard.

Xxx

I love gelcolor apart from the problem with shrinkage, im still getting it a bit especially with dark colours, any advice. I shake well and sometimes cure 2 or 3 fingers at a time ;)

could someone please be kind enough to PM me the trade prices for the opi gel colour? lamp, top and base and colours? my capital and sallys is ages away and my lena white account is still waiting for its first phone order so i can't see the prices online yet, just wondered how it compared to shellac and gelish as i'm planning on adding one of the 3 brands to my price list :D

Thanks k-nails !
Think I am going to find a salon to go try it out in ! X

I was given some great advice by Lena White in regard to shrinkage and it works. Flash cure each nail on the first coat of colour gel. It takes no longer to do than paint 5 and cure in one go and the results speak for themselves.

Paint the little finger on the right hand, pop in the lamp and while it is flash curing, paint the little finger on the left hand. By the time you have finished painting the second little finger, the gel on the first little finger is static and will not shrink. Do this until all 5 fingers are painted on each hand and then give them a cure for the 30 seconds (LED) or 2 mins (UV) that is needed. The second coat of colour can go on in one go as it seems to stick to the first coat.

Works a treat, nails look great and customers are happy!!

Latest posts

Back