Gel lifting after 10 days

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlotte3006

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been doing nails for over a year now and I've had my first over a year client contact me today to say that her gels on her hands and toes have come off.
She claims that they started to come off a couple of days after but has only just messaged me now.
I asked for a photo and she has sent me one of her toes and it looks like her toe nails have been cut.

What would you do in this situation? She's not a repeat customer so I'm concerned what she is trying to do. If she had messaged me within a couple of days, I would think its my work but I am doubtful.

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Difficult situation and I totally understand your doubts. If she is not a regular client and you have not had any other problems lately with products or techniques, then it could be that she has been effecting the integrity of your service.

I can’t say anything specific since I’m not present in your situation, but when clients use words like enhancement or products falling off I’m always sceptical because nails don just fall off. It will take very badly applied product for that to happen and I don’t believe that’s the case.

Do you have any client guidelines for your service. Guaranteed service time and service repair? If you do and the client is aware of this it’s on her that she has not come forward earlier. If you don’t or she’s not aware of the guidelines for your service I would try to communicate the situation with her and figure out what happened.

I have a rule in my service that if a client is unhappy I always set aside time and ask them to come in for a talk and letting me see the situation for myself. It’s a nice thing to do and your making sure that you do whatever you can to take care of her concerns. If you find her complaints valid then it’s up to you what to do.

After this type of situation really push your service guidelines and what you guarantee as a pro nail tech to your clients so you won’t get into any awkward situation. Do an overview of your own procedures and work to check that everything is in order and you will be sure that in any conversation with clients complaining on your services you have done what you can to give them the best.

We have all been here and it’s something that will follow any service industry work. Ive had almost the exact same thing happen and learned a lot from it.

Hope it works out :)

I just find it very odd in the year I've been doing it I've had not one of my customers report any lifting etc and I've got a lot of clients who regularly come back to me.

From the photos she has sent, it looks like her toe nails have been cut as they're uneven and jagged and her hands look like she has picked at them.

Its very frustrating because I feel like she is playing me. If she had messaged within a couple of days after the appointment when she claims that they started coming off, I would have accepted that it was my work but for her to only message me today screams that she is up to something.

I just find it very odd in the year I've been doing it I've had not one of my customers report any lifting etc and I've got a lot of clients who regularly come back to me.

From the photos she has sent, it looks like her toe nails have been cut as they're uneven and jagged and her hands look like she has picked at them.

Its very frustrating because I feel like she is playing me. If she had messaged within a couple of days after the appointment when she claims that they started coming off, I would have accepted that it was my work but for her to only message me today screams that she is up to something.
Are you able to post the pics here so we can take a look and see if we feel this is 'client ' induced ;-)

It seems like your gut feeling is very right and from what you tell me here something does seem off. It’s up to you what you decide to do, but if you feel that you’ve done what you can and offered what you think is fair in the situation you shouldn’t feel bad about it. We will have clients like this today, tomorrow and in the future. The main thing is to never let it get you down as long as you have done what you can to make a client happy. Yes, you should always respect and hear out a client, but there are a lot that want to misuse the mutual relationship between a tech and a client.

Are you able to post the pics here so we can take a look and see if we feel this is 'client ' induced ;-)

I attach the photos - I hope you can help!

Attachments

• 90F368D3-992E-48EB-99B9-2BE2BDED5F4B.jpeg
    90F368D3-992E-48EB-99B9-2BE2BDED5F4B.jpeg
    185.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 5EE343B3-8D4D-43E1-9451-948FC1AD0572.jpeg
    5EE343B3-8D4D-43E1-9451-948FC1AD0572.jpeg
    167.2 KB · Views: 60
  • 7172AE62-4165-4B94-9206-AD93D1D611B6.jpeg
    7172AE62-4165-4B94-9206-AD93D1D611B6.jpeg
    188.8 KB · Views: 58
I attach the photos - I hope you can help!

Her pedicure looks very suspicious. I mean considering it’s been some time and she must have cut her nails and broken the seal. Also one toenail looks like it’s been hurt or damage. Her hands is not so easy to interpret. I can see that it has been some sort of picking, but looks like the seal has given in and the sidewalls peeling or lifting can be from residual cuticle. But hard to say because of unknown factors. But if this happend days within her getting it done as she says and she has not got back to until now I find that the strangest. But like I mentioned earlier, have her come in for a talk. Maybe it will bring more clarity and you can judge from that. That’s the best advice I can give you from what I know from the info given.

Her pedicure looks very suspicious. I mean considering it’s been some time and she must have cut her nails and broken the seal. Also one toenail looks like it’s been hurt or damage. Her hands is not so easy to interpret. I can see that it has been some sort of picking, but looks like the seal has given in and the sidewalls peeling or lifting can be from residual cuticle. But hard to say because of unknown factors. But if this happend days within her getting it done as she says and she has not got back to until now I find that the strangest. But like I mentioned earlier, have her come in for a talk. Maybe it will bring more clarity and you can judge from that. That’s the best advice I can give you from what I know from the info given.

What I find odd is she is coming out with things like - I haven't cleaned or cooked at all. Why does that have anything to do with it? It is like she is trying to find something to make it look like her hands/feet haven't had any contact with anything.
To be honest, I think she's having me on but its just how I go back to her?

What I find odd is she is coming out with things like - I haven't cleaned or cooked at all. Why does that have anything to do with it? It is like she is trying to find something to make it look like her hands/feet haven't had any contact with anything.
To be honest, I think she's having me on but its just how I go back to her?

If it was me I would send her a message saying that you feel sorry that she has not been happy with her service and if she wouldn’t mind coming back in for you to take a look at her nails and make an assessment. Just because pictures won’t tell you what is wrong. Then if she shows up ( maybe, maybe not) you can ask her more about what happens and see it up close. It’s tricky but the best way to show respect for your own work. Be professional and understanding and listen to what she has to say and from that give your professional opinion back. You will tell quickly if she is being truthful or not. And from this you will get a better sense of what you should do. Messaging with clients is never a good way to solve an issue. I automatically tell them to come in to assess.

Good luck and hope you have a friendly meeting with her :)

If it was me I would send her a message saying that you feel sorry that she has not been happy with her service and if she wouldn’t mind coming back in for you to take a look at her nails and make an assessment. Just because pictures won’t tell you what is wrong. Then if she shows up ( maybe, maybe not) you can ask her more about what happens and see it up close. It’s tricky but the best way to show respect for your own work. Be professional and understanding and listen to what she has to say and from that give your professional opinion back. You will tell quickly if she is being truthful or not. And from this you will get a better sense of what you should do. Messaging with clients is never a good way to solve an issue. I automatically tell them to come in to assess.

Good luck and hope you have a friendly meeting with her :)

The issue is I'm mobile and I'm back to back with appointments for the next two weeks with no appointments anywhere near her to try and pop in.

I think she is trying to take them off as she has been asking what to use to get them off? I just can't read this woman!

The issue is I'm mobile and I'm back to back with appointments for the next two weeks with no appointments anywhere near her to try and pop in.

I think she is trying to take them off as she has been asking what to use to get them off? I just can't read this woman!

Then just give her advice on how to remove them safely and extend your apologies for her experience of the service and that your not available to help her at the moment. If your not able to see her now then suggest to have a talk with her when your in her area the next time.

Then just give her advice on how to remove them safely and extend your apologies for her experience of the service and that your not available to help her at the moment. If your not able to see her now then suggest to have a talk with her when your in her area the next time.

Great idea! You don't think I should be issuing a refund or anything do you?

Thank you so much for your help - I really do appreciate it.

A refund is up to you and what policy you have. If she is asking for one that you could try to let her know you want to be able to meet her and talk about it first. If you find it a hassle or that you don’t feel your at fault then you should go with what your instincts tell you. It all depends on her willingness to keep the relationship. It’s all about the relationship with the client.

Hope you get a chance to make it right with her and that you come to a mutual understanding.

I had this problem and I could see it was my work on her hands so offered a refund for her hands but her feet I didn’t as they were perfect still, she told me she hasn’t had contact with water or cleaned up haha! I think the seal had broken on her side walls so was my fault really x

Ok first off do you give aftercare advice? . A gel polish such as this you should only say CAN last up to 2 weeks so 10 days is not unreasonable . second off She has a BABY for goodness sake so how can she say she has not been doing any cleaning or cooking . Also if very young baby then hormones could attribute to this . My guess is she has not been following aftercare advice and is telling porkies . However I would not be offering a refund after 10 days . You want to keep your reputation in tact as you re fairly new so i think I would be offering a re do at maybe 50% off . Not that I think you are in the wrong but just I feel best way to play ir for goodwill. Its not really if she comes again or not . It is what she will say about you if she is not happy :)

Also it could be that the colour is not completely cured , dark colours such as this are notorious for this . But if you look at the hands I would say the thumb is not correct position in the lamp and oon one hand it is the index and middle which ave chipped - number one fingers for doing anything with ;-)

I would point out to her that 10 days is good for a gel polish but as a gesture of goodwill you are quite happy to redo at 50% ( or if you really want to for free ) and try and get her booked in . But if you did not give aftercare advice sheet this becomes a bit trickier ;-) x

Latest posts

Back