Gel Nails - Biosculpture or Calgel?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruby19

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm looking at introducing gel nails in my salon and have been researching Biosculpture and Calgel as two possible systems.

Does anyone have any experience of comparing these systems and might be able to tell me the advantages and disadvantages between the two.

Many thanks for any help

Ruby 19

I would think that if you were looking at a Gel you should be looking to compare a soak off with a buff off or even taking in one of each.

What makes you only want to make a choice between these two - they are very similar as in they are both soak off and not necessarily suitable for every eventuality.

I have used both and they are both good gels...great range of colours too.

IMO Bio is more flexible than calgel....this makes infill's/re balances different to other gels as I found you cant file it...its like filing on a rubber band...so soak off's and re-do's are almost every visit.

Soak off gels are porous (they have to be to allow the remover to break it down) so they can tend to discolour...which is why i prefer a buff off gel.

I ain't knocking these gels at all....Bio rarely lifts...great for a short natural nail overlay....But IMO not great for tip/overlay or nails with length.

Calgel fits the bill better IMO and is stronger over tips or for sculpts.

I would suggest finding 2 salons...1 calgel and 1 bio...ring and ask if you can have a sample nail done in each...(you might not want to say your a nail tech..:lol:) and see for yourself what you think.

If i was looking into using a product i would want to know more than just what people think before i invested my money...ring them and ask for info...see what the customer service is like...get sample nails done...visit trade shows and see how its used. HTH

I can't speak for their performance.
Any big name gel, when used properly will perform well, in my opinion.

But, I personally wouldn't choose either simply because of claims that they make which are untrue: such that they can actually 'strengthen" the natural nail etc.... No gel can. It's impossible.

I would suggest reading the article "Choosing the Correct Gel" by Minkus:
http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/35483-choosing-correct-gel.html

to help you arrive at your decision.

hth's

Calgel imo is stronger one clear gel does all but not as many colours as bio. I use Le Chat now and its fab. hth

I am a calgel nail tech and I havent tried other gels but can honestly say have had no problems with the gel, its soaks off easy peesy! Its applied easy peesy! They do not claim to feed the natural nail and improve health and strength, well thats what our trainer told us. Their colours are ok but imo could have more choice. No primer required. Sculptured nails to me feel stronger than a nail tip. My friend has had both bio and calgel and trained with calgel and she much prefers calgel, maybe this is down to the nail tech, I am not sure! Great customer service with Calgel too, are always on the end of the phone ready to help you out and give u advice. All orders placed with them are sent out same day or next day and arrive very quickly to your door. Gels can be mixed together. x

Hi

I can only echo whats been said.

Bio has a FANTASTIC colour range. BUT....i'd personally say the product isnt as strong AND does not file down as easily as calgel.

Calgel...sculpt with it with no problems wouldn't worry at all about strength. Fantastic for nno's too. Soaks off nice and easy too.

BUT.....calgels colours are not to 'my' particular taste....i prefer bio's.

Both WILL NOT lift (unless you've done something wrong:green:)

Both are at the higher end of the market price wise.

Both are well known and clients will seek the product out !

ps.....IF ANYONES LISTENING FROM CALGEL...CAN WE HAVE SOME BETTER COLOURS?

Amb x

Last edited:
I can't speak for their performance.
Any big name gel, when used properly will perform well, in my opinion.

But, I personally wouldn't choose either simply because of claims that they make which are untrue: such that they can actually 'strengthen" the natural nail etc.... No gel can. It's impossible.

I would suggest reading the article "Choosing the Correct Gel" by Minkus:
http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/35483-choosing-correct-gel.html

to help you arrive at your decision.

hth's

I don't think calgel are as bad now in their claims Victoria.I think they have taken a step back and realised that some were misleading.

Im a lover of Calgel, cannot speak for bio. Calgel is strong over tips and great for sculpting. Majority of my clients have nno with colour. It never lifts and the customer services at head office is fantastic. Like Amber says though, I do wish they would expand their colour range.

Personally, I would look into bringing in a soak-off line and a traditional (buff-off) line as well. If you have a client that wants sculpted enhancements or tips that are long, or perhaps have a client that is particularly rough on her nails, soak-off might not be the best bet.

By the way, thanks to Victoria on bringing up the misleading advertising that some of these brands take part in.

I have used Bio for years - great colours and great performance but I feel it is sometimes expensive to order .... So recently I have started to use Go - Gel ... another South African product soaks off strong flexible and produces great looking nails - once you have the hang of it and is very reasonably priced one of my local salons who was dedicated to CND and Cagel have just converted their whole clientel after I introduced them to it .. they have some colours but the new ones coming are fab .... I also love their files and cuticle remover customer service lovely and friendly etc along with their training .

I don't think calgel are as bad now in their claims Victoria.I think they have taken a step back and realised that some were misleading.

I guess that would depend on 'which' Calgel site, I suppose.
The parts I've "bolded" raised my eyebrows...

Don't get me wrong... I don't dislike the 'product'. I'm sure it's wonderful, too many techs and clients are %10000 satisfied for me to say otherwise.

I just have to question the ethics of a company that chooses to mislead consumers and techs alike ON PURPOSE to gain a clientel/following.
I have issue with that.

I got fooled once by a company that did the same....when I started out.
I left them BECAUSE of that, and NOT because of a failure by the product itself. I OBJECT being lied to.
I wonder how many other newbies to the industry get fooled.

Calgel Nail Systems from Calgel USA, Inc.

Calgel is a superior gel nail system that promotes nail health. Calgel won't lift, peel, chip, go rubbery or damage your own nails with harsh acrylics or drills. Calgel doesn't interfere with nailbed metabolism which is why it can actually strengthen your own nails giving you the nails you always dreamed about. Calgel can be used on tips or as a natural nail overlay, and is available in over 80 colors, so the days of smudging, chipping and peeling nail polish are over!

Clear Calgel can be used on natural nails to strengthen and support, weak, brittle or soft flaking nails, helping them to grow naturally into strong, healthy, good looking nails, without the use of tips or extensions

Why is Calgel the Gel of Choice for Salon Professionals?
Calgel is a superior gel nail system that promotes nail health, making it the healthier alternative in nailcare. It also soaks off in just 15 minutes! Calgel won't lift, peel, chip, go rubbery or damage your own nails with harsh acrylics or drills. Calgel doesn't interfere with nailbed metabolism which is why it can actually strengthen your own nails giving you the nails you always dreamed about. Calgel can be used on tips or as a natural nail overlay, and is available in over 80 colors, so the days of smudging, chipping and peeling nail polish are over!

Soaks off in just 15 minutes

Fast and clean application
Superior adhesion qualities
Vast range of semi-permanent nail colors
No damage to natural nails
Matching nail polish range
Does not cause fungus
Compatible with other nail enhancements
Low maintenance
Does not inhibit natural metabolic activity
Flexible and will not chip
Correct application ensures no lifting
Extremely low odor
Easily and safely removable
Allows natural nails to respire
Not tested on animals
Proven nail strengthener
Thin and natural looking

Yes Victoria there isn't much like this on the uk site.It does say it strengthens the natural nail.I guess that could be true because it does stop it breaking, like any other nno, but of course while it is on and that should be made clearer.
It is a porous gel so i guess it does let moisture out so maybe it is less likely someone would get greenies I have never had any.
Although the porosity can be a distinct disadvantage as it absorbs colours from outside sources,you can't eat a curry with your fingers if you have a french :)
Indeed when you take the enhancement off the nail is the same as when it went on due again i guess to the porosity.A hard gel can make a nail soft for a while thats just a natural thing that can happen.
Im not disagreeing with you just trying to make sense of what has been written by them and why.I know you have much more experience than i.
I must say i do not make any such claims to my own clients.I know the organic thing is a lot of toot now, but its the in word of the moment.I dont actually think they use this word anymore i certainly don't.

Hiya Ruy,

Hope your salon is going well.

I havent used the 2 gels that you are talking of. But have heard that soaking someones hands in a serious chemical like Acetone can be very bad for your clients liver as they are soaking in it for up to 20 mins and enters the body via soaking into the skin.

If gels are applied correctly then refills are really quick.

Good Luck Hope your mad busy with the nails

I know you have much more experience than i.
I must say i do not make any such claims to my own clients.I know the organic thing is a lot of toot now, but its the in word of the moment.I dont actually think they use this word anymore i certainly don't.

oh GOSH:eek: I don't know everything:lol: (that would be Geeg :green::hug:)

I do sincerely appreciate, though, that you didn't take offense at my posts, and I do appreciate your time in answering and the information you provided.
Hat's Off to you, also, for not repeating silly claims to your clients, and being straight with them.

Yup, that organic word drives me INSANE :lol:
Anyhow, short and sweet of it: I'm sure it's a good product, as is Bio Sculpture.
Just not crazy on their advertising/marketing/claims and my advice to others is to simply judge their needs specifically, and go from there to choose their gel.

:hug:

i went to the beauty show to buy a calgel or bio kit, but after spending time with both companys bio seemed just to want my money befor they would really spend anytime with me showing me how there product worked unlike calgel that were more than happy to so i went with them, calgel training was great and iv had 2 follow up calls just to see how i was , & to ask what did i think to the products was on the phone about 15 mins too just talking about nails :green: . i would say the bio branding is alot better then calgel , i love the mobile bag they do . bio's colours are fab i do have some myself and are just like calgels. 1 thing i didnt like about bio is all different gels that you use, where as calgels does it all. im hooked on calgel, and by wearing them is the only way i can grow my nails.

calgel can you do some new colours please ! :lol:

Latest posts

Back