Gel or Fibreglass which way to go

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaute

Reaction score
Hi, I can't use L&P due to asthma (I couldn't breathe properly when I was doing the course.

I know that most clients ask for enhancements so which course should I do, gel or fibreglass?

As a northern geek, not many salons do gel/fibreglass nails or L&P, some advice would be very helpful.

Many thanks, Louise:irked:

My guess would be to do gels,
if you do fibreglass there are a lot of resins and activators that you would be using and these would probably cause you the same problems as L&P hth

My guess would be to do gels,
if you do fibreglass there are a lot of resins and activators that you would be using and these would probably cause you the same problems as L&P hth

Do many clients choose gel nails and which companies gel is best. Is there a gel that you can soak off?

i could have this complety wrong and i am going to be doing my fibre glass course again with Ezflow but on my fibre glass course i learnt that you need to melt it off after a few rebalances and re apply? please correct me if i am wrong? so i think that gels are more cost effective for you and the client, i normally i use fibre glass to overlay a nail on a manicure client if their nail spilts downwards.

Hi,
I have the same problem as yourself but with fibreglass, It iritates my athsma,(strangley enough i don't have a problem with L&P:suprised:)
I have found there is more demand for gel the firbeglass but saying that i havn't created a market for it in my salon, (what i mean is that i havn't had anyone ask for fibreglass in years)

I see from your profile that you are OPI trained so that may be a good place to start.
Good Luck
:hug:

i could have this complety wrong and i am going to be doing my fibre glass course again with Ezflow but on my fibre glass course i learnt that you need to melt it off after a few rebalances and re apply? please correct me if i am wrong? so i think that gels are more cost effective for you and the client, i normally i use fibre glass to overlay a nail on a manicure client if their nail spilts downwards.

This used to be very correct as far as soaking off is concerned with f/g, as it does break down if not looked after correctly, especially when cleaning products are being used.

I use EZ Flow f/g myself and it doesn't need soaking off after so long at all, you just do in fills or re balance as usual, and this will make them look good as new.

I also agree that f/g isn't going to help you if you have problems with breathing using the acrylic L&P, so gel would be your better option.

You can get soak off gels, but in my opinion, they are no where near as strong as ones you can't. Just what i think anyhow having used a saok off gel before.

I would go for the gels. I am not qualified on extensions (yet), just man, ped, and nail art but from what I know so far, fibreglass is the least used of the three systems. Plus, it's the weakest so if someone wanted long nails then gel would give them the better strength.

I think fibreglass might irritate the asthma more than gel too.

x

Hi, I can't use L&P due to asthma (I couldn't breathe properly when I was doing the course.

I know that most clients ask for enhancements so which course should I do, gel or fibreglass?
I would say that unless you use a mask that you will suffer breathing difficulties regardless of which system you use, there is a lot of dust created when doing a rebalance and the dust you get from filing gel is a lot finer than that of L+P... just something to keep in mind :hug:

If you work smart and have good dust extraction and ventilation you shouldn't get a problem, but it's not a guarantee.

Also it is good to remember that just because there isn't visible dust with a system, or an associated smell, doesn't mean there aren't vapours.

Vapours are prevalent with all systems and therefore good ventilation is paramount whatever you choose.

For example, I started with L&P, and thought I couldn't use it due to the dust and smell. So I swiched to gel....a move I dont actually regret as I love working with gel, but have since found that I can also happily work with L&P if I work smartly and in a well ventilated area.

And as a gel tech, I can honestly say I have clients for both a file off and soak off gel, and wouldn't be without either in my portfolio. I also use L&P and silk/fibreglass and can therefore advertise a full service portfolio and prescriptive service to my clients. This wins me clients handsdown over the local L&P or gel only techs.

Latest posts

Back