Gel Overlay

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady_of_Pain

Reaction score
This might be a dumb question, but I want to be sure that I do this right.

A new client of mine just wants a layer of gel over her natural nails to add strength. This is what I would do - tell me if this is correct:

She has clear nail polish on. I would take that off, and lightly buff the shine off her natural nail. Then I would use a bonder, and apply just the top coat of the gel, or maybe a first layer of gel and then the top coat. Is this correct?

Let me know - I do this for her on Friday, and I just want to double check to be sure that I do it rightso they don't lift or anything.

One more question that I have - what if a client with short nails wants extensions and comes in and wants a sculpted regular set of nails, not a french? Do I just use a very soft white and once her nails grow just use a clear when I do fills and leave the white grow out, or do I just use the clear gel? I think the clear would be too see through.

I just started renting a room in a very nice salon and I am sort of nervous starting out, I'm worried that someone will ask me things that I don't know about........

Lady_of_Pain said:
This might be a dumb question, but I want to be sure that I do this right.

A new client of mine just wants a layer of gel over her natural nails to add strength. This is what I would do - tell me if this is correct:

She has clear nail polish on. I would take that off, and lightly buff the shine off her natural nail. Then I would use a bonder, and apply just the top coat of the gel, or maybe a first layer of gel and then the top coat. Is this correct?

Let me know - I do this for her on Friday, and I just want to double check to be sure that I do it rightso they don't lift or anything.

One more question that I have - what if a client with short nails wants extensions and comes in and wants a sculpted regular set of nails, not a french? Do I just use a very soft white and once her nails grow just use a clear when I do fills and leave the white grow out, or do I just use the clear gel? I think the clear would be too see through.

I just started renting a room in a very nice salon and I am sort of nervous starting out, I'm worried that someone will ask me things that I don't know about........
Remove her polish and prepare the nail as you would for any gel overlay including sanitation etc. Using only the top coat gel will definitely not be strong enough to last. I would do as you suggest and apply a thin bonder layer of gel, and then a slightly thicker medium layer of gel .. finish and then apply your top coat for gloss. You may feel this is too much, but there has to be a certain amount of gel on the nail or it will peel. remember to cap the free edge of the nail at all stages.

I would use a soft white for the sculpted set and as her nails grow through just keep them coated with the clear. If the client wants natural, you can't get much more natural than that!

Good luck in your new location. Trust your judgment and your education. If you don't know the answer to a question, tell the client you will find out for the next time you see her .... then ask here on the site!! Better just to confess if you do not know the answer to a question than to try and blag your way through it. Blag is British for BS!! Clients can spot BS a mile away.

I also don't think that just base and gloss gel is enough for most clients. I usually work the gel the same way whether it's a natural nail overlay or a set of extensions. Although gel over a natural nail can often be left somewhat thinner. Doing what you suggested will only work on those few clients that have abnormally strong natural nails (ones that are not flexible).

Latest posts

Back