Gel polish, is it suitable for people working with food?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hair by Becci

Reaction score
Hi geeks, one of my client who usually just has a manicure without polish because she works with food has asked me if she can have the gel polish on her fingers? I was unsure!

Usually people who work with food are not allowed anything on their nails but it wouldn't be up to you to decide for her but up to her to cover this matter with her employers really. :wink2:

Thanks for your help :) x

I work in a school kitchen and i wear gelish (generally a pale/nude colour), but i don't prepare food, I'm a delivery driver, then i do washing up later and if i have to serve food (which is not often) I always wear those blue gloves anyway.

Technically it's your not supposed to if you are handling food, so she should speak to her employer, if it's a nudeish colour or a plain french and shes wearing gloves all of the time then the employer might say yes.

You don't ask....you don't get! :biggrin:

It is absolutely the decision of the employer. I can understand why no covering on the nails should be the rule for those who work with food. Polish could flake off and a gel polish could be lifted on the edge of the nail and trap 'bugs. :eek:

I would like to tell you a little story though! Many, many years ago when I had a salon, one of my regular clients catered for workers on building sites. She loved her nails and the catering company was hers.

One day she came for her regular appointment and had, unusually, lost a a red painted enhancement but had stuck it back on. She was a 'salt of the earth' type of person who loved cooking. Her story to me was that she was making a massive apple crumble and noticed a missing nail just after she put the dish into the oven. She whipped the tray out before it got too hot and sifted through the contents to find her nail. It was red! She found it! She fished it out, washed it and stuck it back on!!!! :eek:

A main reason why any type of nail covering could be a problem when dealing with food!

It is absolutely the decision of the employer. I can understand why no covering on the nails should be the rule for those who work with food. Polish could flake off and a gel polish could be lifted on the edge of the nail and trap 'bugs. :eek:

I would like to tell you a little story though! Many, many years ago when I had a salon, one of my regular clients catered for workers on building sites. She loved her nails and the catering company was hers.

One day she came for her regular appointment and had, unusually, lost a a red painted enhancement but had stuck it back on. She was a 'salt of the earth' type of person who loved cooking. Her story to me was that she was making a massive apple crumble and noticed a missing nail just after she put the dish into the oven. She whipped the tray out before it got too hot and sifted through the contents to find her nail. It was red! She found it! She fished it out, washed it and stuck it back on!!!! :eek:

A main reason why any type of nail covering could be a problem when dealing with food!

I had a lady do something similar to that a year or so ago. I was shocked when she said it fell in her food and she glued it on with crazy glue. Yikes.

Thanks for your advice guys (eeek red nails In food!!!) it's her own business so I will give her the choice but give the advice of gloves (which she should use anyway)

But this could not have happened if she had been wearing gloves as she would have found the nail inside the glove.

I am head of a school kitchen and I work for a local council, not only are we not allowed to wear anything on our nail we are also required to keep them short as we are not allowed to use nail brushes as they as deemed to be germ carriers.

I did sneekily try to wear shellac for a couple of days but it peeled straight away due to all the food prep I do, even wearing gloves didnt help because your hands sweat in them. I also tried OPI gel colour and it did the same. I might add that during the six weeks holidays my shellac lasted the whole six weeks without a chip. Nothing wrong with the product just a serious lifestyle issue. Also tried L+P in the kitchen it lifted within 2 days, holidays no lifting whatsoever. I would say that even if her employer says its ok (which I would be surprised if they did), she would need to wear cotton gloves as well as rubber ones otherwise she may not have much success in keeping them on.

good luck xxxxxx

But this could not have happened if she had been wearing gloves as she would have found the nail inside the glove.

I realise that:!: But I don't tell people how to do their jobs. It was just a funny/horrific story :wink2:

Latest posts

Back