Gel polish topcoat over nail polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anonaw

Reaction score
I'm testing a theory at the moment of trying to use my normail opi nail polishes and finishing them off with a gel polish topcoat, and I was just wondering if anyone else had tried this and succeeded or failed in anyway?

I will keep you posted on what happens :)

It normally does not work and cracks. I think everyone has tried it at some time or another. I think if it worked, we'd all have been doing it. For years. :)

Hi! I also tested this theory from a recommendation from a fellow nail tech. I didn't find it useful. I also used it over opi, on natural nails it wasn't very good. For a start the polish has to be bone dry and time wise this isn't always possible. And I didn't find the polish was protected anymore than a regular top coat.
Over enhancements with normal polish it was a bit better left a better shine but I found it didn't last any longer.....
The client is always a good place to start tho so see what their feedback is! But mine weren't too impressed! I tho k mainly it was be a use they believed that because they had their hands under the lamp they thought it would last like gel nails or something! If puns a little gem called air shield. It dries the polish in literally seconds and is smudge proof too! X

lol exactly geeg!

Doesn't work on natural nails at all. Cracks in hours.

Works to a degree over acrylics (I don't offer this to clients, but I do this on myself as I find it's the only way I can wear colour without removing it when I use acetone on my clients) It's not really suitable for clients anyway as it can crack after a while - but I just re-do the cracked nail on myself but I don't feel the result is long lasting enough to use on clients. I use glaze n go over 1 coat of polish over acrylics.

I would never "test-drive" anything on clients to get their feedback .... I would always do it the other way round, guinea pig on me or my mum and if it doesn't work it wouldn't get as far as a client.

I've tested it on my mother in law so far as thats it, I don't want to test on myself as I have acrylics and don't feel the need to use a gel polish over polish on acrylics as it lasts abit longer than on the natural nail, thanks for all your comments, I guess everyone has to try don't they! I would be happy if it lasted a week as usually my mother in laws nail polish chips within 2 days, so we will see what happens.

Long standing loyal regular clients are happy and willing to try a new tecnique. It's not like anyone would "test drive" something dangerous! Just a recommendation of something from a fellow nail tech that may make their polish last longer.

Long standing loyal regular clients are happy and willing to try a new tecnique. It's not like anyone would "test drive" something dangerous! Just a recommendation of something from a fellow nail tech that may make their polish last longer.

Even smarter to ask here on Salon Geek to see if something works, before disappointing clients. Though long-standing and loyal, no one these days has time to be going back and forth to the nail technician for re-dos when something does not work ... Especially when one can ask others first whether or not it does?

Definately smart to ask on here. I ask a lot of questions on here. But also if a regular client of mine tries out something new or trials a top coat, I will see her again at her regular 2 week slot to see how it lasted.
I feel ive been made to sound like I've just said to go out and try some crazy unheard of theory on some poor paying customer! There is no difference In my suggestion to the one about trialling something on a mother in law! We are talking about a gel top coat here. It's the put downs and sarcasm like that that puts me off commenting or trying to suggest sometimes.

Definately smart to ask on here. I ask a lot of questions on here. But also if a regular client of mine tries out something new or trials a top coat, I will see her again at her regular 2 week slot to see how it lasted.
I feel ive been made to sound like I've just said to go out and try some crazy unheard of theory on some poor paying customer! There is no difference In my suggestion to the one about trialling something on a mother in law! We are talking about a gel top coat here. It's the put downs and sarcasm like that that puts me off commenting or trying to suggest sometimes.

I for one can see no reason why you should feel like that! I've read every post and see no put downs or sarcasm from anyone. Why look for trouble where there is absolutely none? No one mentioned danger ... or even intimated it as far as I can see ... it was suggested that trialing something on clients could inconvenience them with nails that may not last or cause them to come for another visit.

As a comment to everyone .. if you are a sensitive person and you tend take what people say the wrong way when you could just read it the right way ... then you shouldn't be posting on the internet.

Last edited:
I find it works very well for me, I always use either opi or china glaze and then do one or two coats of clear gelish on top and it lasts the same amount of time for me and I'm quite hard on my nails. It only cracks or wrinkles if you do too thick a layer or don't fully cover the free edge!

I've done this on myself, used Gelcolor base, two coats of OPI varnish and then two of Gelcolor topcoat and it lasted 12 days with no cracking. Making sure the varnish is totally dry means its too time consuming for customers but it does work!!

I've done this for friends who let me play with new colours and art on them. My friend got 5 days chip free from a mix of opi and good old Barry m with. Gelish top it off coat once dried. I find its fab for a chip free mani and a great up sell for our clients who are not wanting two/three week from gel etc. go for it!

I find it works very well for me, I always use either opi or china glaze and then do one or two coats of clear gelish on top and it lasts the same amount of time for me and I'm quite hard on my nails. It only cracks or wrinkles if you do too thick a layer or don't fully cover the free edge!

I have done it on toes with China glaze and gelish top coat it works really well. I only do it on non paying people like my mom, sisters etc

Its alright saying, "I have done it.". But how have you done it? The real question that no one has answered is ... How long do you wait before you apply the gel top coat?

I manufactured a gel top coat years ago that was super over polish and impervious to solvents, so perfect for nail technicians to keep their nails looking great while working in the salon BUT the polish had to dry for 24 hours before it could be applied. Great for nail techs, but not a practical salon service.

There are top coats already that work and are designed for the purpose you want. Many say good things about glaze and go and at least it has been designed to do the job. ... Why not just use something like that instead of trying to re-invent the wheel with something that is not intended to do the job?

I've done this on myself, used Gelcolor base, two coats of OPI varnish and then two of Gelcolor topcoat and it lasted 12 days with no cracking. Making sure the varnish is totally dry means its too time consuming for customers but it does work!!

I may try this method next, I found the topcoat I used on my mother in law was great and didnt crack at all, but did start to chip as her normal nail polish would have after 3 days.

But I didn't use a gel base coat, only a topcoat and not opi either, so I may invest in some OPI gel base and topcoat (because if I find it doesn't work for me I may use OPI gelcolors anyways) and see how that works out for me.

Thanks for everyones replies, I would also like to say in response to Charlene1983 I also am finding it difficult on here after I have posted new threads but like you say that could be me being 'sensitive' as I know I am prone, but maybe some people also find some people comments not reader friendly?

But once again thank you for all your replies and comments as it helps to also know I am not the only one with the idea or the urge to try something new.

I have tried it on myself but it didn't working afraid :( it just cracked.

I have to add that there's nothing on this thread that reads to me as being anything other than helpful. You asked for people's opinions and got the answers.

Please bear in mind that there are some of the best in the industry on here taking the time out of their working day to respond, so perhaps rushed answers you might interpret as being 'blunt' or 'short' or an array of other things, I'm 99.9% sure they are not intended that way. Try re reading with a different tone.- ps this is also to be read in a sympathetic friendly way. xxx

Its alright saying, "I have done it.". But how have you done it? The real question that no one has answered is ... How long do you wait before you apply the gel top coat?

I manufactured a gel top coat years ago that was super over polish and impervious to solvents, so perfect for nail technicians to keep their nails looking great while working in the salon BUT the polish had to dry for 24 hours before it could be applied. Great for nail techs, but not a practical salon service.

There are top coats already that work and are designed for the purpose you want. Many say good things about glaze and go and at least it has been designed to do the job. ... Why not just use something like that instead of trying to re-invent the wheel with something that is not intended to do the job?

I have to say I waited a good 2 hours before applying the gel topcoat, and the reason for trying this is very simple. I wanted to continue using my favourite OPI varnishes that haven't been brought out as gels.... also means I don't waste the varnishes I bought.

Just because something isn't suitable for clients is no reason to dismiss it - we learn by trying the new, unusual, different. I will continue to do that rather than be shut down by people pushing conformity all the time - I learn and move forward that way...

I have tried it on myself but it didn't working afraid :( it just cracked.

I have to add that there's nothing on this thread that reads to me as being anything other than helpful. You asked for people's opinions and got the answers.

Please bear in mind that there are some of the best in the industry on here taking the time out of their working day to respond, so perhaps rushed answers you might interpret as being 'blunt' or 'short' or an array of other things, I'm 99.9% sure they are not intended that way. Try re reading with a different tone.- ps this is also to be read in a sympathetic friendly way. xxx

I do completely understand both sides, it took me a long time to build up the courage to actually make this thread and like you said it has been helpful from people saying no it hasnt worked to people who have found it works well for them (personally not client based) and that is what I asked for, I just also understand from Charlene's point of view too.

And as I said I am sensitive and can read things wrongly and so may Charlene but we have to try and remember to be polite and friendly to everyone who is on the forum and that includes myself. This is also meant in a friendly manor :)

I have to say I waited a good 2 hours before applying the gel topcoat, and the reason for trying this is very simple. I wanted to continue using my favourite OPI varnishes that haven't been brought out as gels.... also means I don't waste the varnishes I bought.

Just because something isn't suitable for clients is no reason to dismiss it - we learn by trying the new, unusual, different. I will continue to do that rather than be shut down by people pushing conformity all the time - I learn and move forward that way...

here's a thought for client bases, could you not do the gel base coat and then nail polish and wait two hours for it to dry by perhaps doing other treatments? Obviously this is not for all clients because not everyone has many things done at the same time, but could you perhaps do a luxury pedicure whilst the polish is drying then add the gel topcoat on last?

here's a thought for client bases, could you not do the gel base coat and then nail polish and wait two hours for it to dry by perhaps doing other treatments? Obviously this is not for all clients because not everyone has many things done at the same time, but could you perhaps do a luxury pedicure whilst the polish is drying then add the gel topcoat on last?

I just think this would over complicate your service.
If the client is having a luxury pedicure after her manicure, then an ordinary polish and topcoat will be good to go by then anyway.

Latest posts

Back