Gel vs Bio sculpture

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirstiemb

Reaction score
Hi, I am quite new to this and I am looking in to training in gel nails. Should I choose a general gel nail course or invest in learning bio sculpture? I realise bio sculpture is more expensive both for the course and to buy but would it be money well spent? Any advice?

There are two types of gel, hard and soft.Bio is a soft gel,it maybe not strong enough for all clients,Id either do both or just a hard gel,unless your just after a gel for colours,then Bio is the one,if thats any help.

HI
Thanks for that, but that is my problem, I do want to use colour but obviously I do need one that would be strong.

Then I would go for a buff of gel course there are many around and then if you want to do colours later on you can do a conversion with one of the soak off companys.

Have you not thought of liquid and powder as that is another option or are definate about gel.

Then I would go for a buff of gel course there are many around and then if you want to do colours later on you can do a conversion with one of the soak off companys.

Have you not thought of liquid and powder as that is another option or are definate about gel.

also enamels last much longer over enhacements.....but I have to confess if CND ever did coloured gels like bio I would cry with happiness! :)

Well as I said before, I am new to nails!! I've done my NVQ level 2 beauty but want to move in to nail extensions. I thought gel was the way to go but maybe not?

Well as I said before, I am new to nails!! I've done my NVQ level 2 beauty but want to move in to nail extensions. I thought gel was the way to go but maybe not?
If you want to do Gel,and want a stong gel that will buff off,i would go for Brisa or akzentz.....but there are so many gels i know it can be mind boggling.:lol:

Does buffing the gel off not ruin the nails?

Does buffing the gel off not ruin the nails?
No not at all hun,if anything it does the reverse:)

I buffed off brisa myself after i had it applied from a fellow colleauge.....i know that was naughty,but as a nail technician,i was shown how to....i used a 180 and 240 grit,and left a sliver of gel over the natural nail to let it grow out,and there was no damage whatsoever....it was such a dream to file off,and this was a qualm i faced when deliberating a file off gel....:)

This was with Brisa....i could not fault it:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice!! I have contacted the egde training centre that is near me, do you know anything of them?

calgel is a soak off and is VERY strong on nno tips and sculpts

I could be wrong I think there is more demand for acrylic,when I done my Bio course I was getting nothing but calls for acrylic,I was kicking myself as Id just spent out all this doe on Bio and people just wanted acrylic...but saying that some dont like it and ask for gel.

I think its a good idea in the long run to be trained in gel and acrylic,my next job is to get trained in a stronger gel aswell, as I would like to be able to offer this too,as I feel sometimes Bio isnt strong enough for everybody.:confused:

i have used both and calgel i find is tuns stronger than bio imo, i stopped using acrylic cos the smell made me feel really sick !

Ok, thanks. Perhaps I should do this course at The Edge for the hard gels first and see what the demand is like. I know they do acrylic there too but I didn't realise it was in demand as much as gels.

I just looked on the calgel site and there isn't a training centre anywhere near me!! Typical!:cry:

oh no :eek: i know when i did my training ( at luton ) a couple of the girls stayed over because the training centre is very close to luton airport (where they got a coach too) they stayed at the abis (sp) airport hotel hth

also enamels last much longer over enhacements.....but I have to confess if CND ever did coloured gels like bio I would cry with happiness! :)

CND .. DO coloured gels just like bio, the only thing with the BIRSA is you mix it your self, you get a mixing guide and can mix what ever colour you want, so in essence they are the same (buff off thou with CND)

and for the post up further that says Bio may not be strong enough for all clients.. they have a new range of builder gels out ( I am currently looking into doing training with them and have a demo nail on ) that are just as strong as L&P or Brisa, and I am for one, extreamly hard on my nails.

Aint it always the way , I think sometimes you end up doing a course just for the sake its just down the road from you.Ive looked at loads of courses and thought bugger that im not going all that way!!:irked:

and for the post up further that says Bio may not be strong enough for all clients.. they have a new range of builder gels out ( I am currently looking into doing training with them and have a demo nail on ) that are just as strong as L&P or Brisa, and I am for one, extreamly hard on my nails.

Glad you said this hun and you are finding it to be the case. Yes, when Bio first came out, it wasn't great over tips or on very long nails, but it has come such a long way since.

Bio is a soft gel, and as such it is flexible, but strong. Thats the beauty of it - its durability! I've used and worn L&P and hard gels and they are perfect for some clients, but for me as a client and tech, Bio is great, because it absorbs the bangs and knocks I or my clients give it!

Ive had far less client 'breakages' with Bio than with any other system! And for those that prefer to remove with their teeth (there will always be those!)...it does far less damage to the nail as it comes away as the stresses from the rigidity of other sytems aren't as great. That said....if a client is even half way good at looking after their nails it never ever lifts!

Oh no, now I'm confused! I don't really want to pay for two courses but want to be able to offer what is best for my clients. I love the colour range of bio sculpture.

Latest posts

Back