Gelish or IBD Gelac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty_1

Reaction score
Hello,just wondering if any of you could give me some advice as I'm really interested in gelish and gelac but I don't have a clue which one to purchase could any of you help any advice would be much appreciated
Many thanks :)

Do a search on Gelac .. there are several threads running if you look down the pages, and you can see what people are saying.

I prefer using one that is in a bottle with its own brush :hug: x

The same goes for threads on Gelish :)

Never used either but I have to say you should seriously try Shellac.
I'm totally addicted!!!!!!! And so r my clients :D

Keri Hemba
Social Agenda Salon
Jackson, MS USA
[email protected]
Visit my blog at
http://uniquenailsbykeri.blog.com

Find me Facebook!
Search: Unique.Nails by Keri
And click Like!

I am a complete Gelish addict. Too many problems with Shellac but JMO. The threads on here re them all should give you a balanced view. Well almost !! The thing to bear in mind is to read the comments from people who are not affiliated in any way with any particular product and who use them day to day. Worked for me xx

I am a complete Gelish addict. Too many problems with Shellac but JMO. The threads on here re them all should give you a balanced view. Well almost !! The thing to bear in mind is to read the comments from people who are not affiliated in any way with any particular product and who use them day to day. Worked for me xx

You know, affiliated or not, most all of us are nail technicians and I persoanally (as everyone knows) would never recommend a product is it wasn't more than good in fact the best. People trust me and trust what I say as I never lie about things lke product performance, whether or not I am (horror of horrors) affiliated. I'm so glad I am not as cynical as some.

Ther are NO problems with Shellac. It's performance is superb. Yes, it was difficult to get hold of for some while (fortunately no longer); but that 'issue' was the greatest testiment to how sought after the product was by millions of technicinas .. let's face it, Shellac has put permanent colour services ON THE MAP ... and the lack of availability was a godsend to some. That is the way it goes sometimes. :lol: I think it has been a good thing as anyone knows who has used Shellac and other products, they can decide which is the most beautiful, which is the longest lasting, which is the easiest to apply, and which the clients are asking for. Shellac has grown business for everyone .. so credit where it is due.

Enjoy whatever you are using.

Last edited:
Whoa....

Stock supply the only problem with Shellac.???...hmmmmm bubbles forming...black spots....lids not working...thickness at bottom of bottles..very poor colour choice. If you had not quoted me I would not have felt the need to defend myself !

To be honest you have done nothing but diss Gelish..leave it out of a post re Gelack and Gelish..Insult the Educators.....question the LED lamp...blame every problem on the nail tech..not the product.

I know what MY clients ask for.

Yes I expect this will get deleted and me barred but what else could we expect ??

Whoa....

Stock supply the only problem with Shellac.???...hmmmmm bubbles forming...black spots....lids not working...thickness at bottom of bottles..very poor colour choice. If you had not quoted me I would not have felt the need to defend myself !

To be honest you have done nothing but diss Gelish..leave it out of a post re Gelack and Gelish..Insult the Educators.....question the LED lamp...blame every problem on the nail tech..not the product.

I know what MY clients ask for.

Yes I expect this will get deleted and me barred but what else could we expect ??
As a technician:
I use Shellac, I'm not affiliated with the brand, I don't suffer (and never have) the 'problems' you mention.

As a moderator:
You won't get banned for having an opinion, however, having a direct vent at another member doesn't put you in a very good light :eek:

To the OP:
There are a lot of threads on here that cover the question you asked... click on search, then advanced search and filter the forums (you'll need NailGeek) and use keywords to help you get the pages of results :D

Hello,just wondering if any of you could give me some advice as I'm really interested in gelish and gelac but I don't have a clue which one to purchase could any of you help any advice would be much appreciated
Many thanks :)

Hi Pretty
Hope you have had lovely holidays..
We tend to refer genuine enquiries to the unbiased arena of Facebook.. we are registered there under Nail Harmony UnitedKingdom.
THERE you will find the Harmony Army "real" customers information.
Remember at Harmony we NEVER discuss ANY other brand .. we actually have no need to.. our product speaks for itself.
We have been personally asked by other brands to remove posts on facebook they may find that disrespect their own product .. and we honour this and respect this.

Glee, Xfactor, Katy Perry, Sugababes and countless magazines to name a few.. all have had or asked for Gelish. Very exciting times from 2010 and 2011 WOW.. you will be blown away.

Which ever product you choose I'm sure will be right for you and your clients and you will watch your business zoom with amazing choices now available to the consumer.. Best of luck

Love n Hugs

hi,
i am someone who has weak nails (though the beautician said i was not in her bad category lol), my nails tend to split and generally break, particularly my right index and middle finger.
i heard about shellac from said beautician and gave it a try. i liked that it was not thick like acrylics and would not damage my nails.
i read an article where one woman showed terribly pitted shellac nails and thought she was some kind of....that was day three.
by day four i had my first chip. i thought one chip, suck it up. the next day, watering the garden i got potting mix between my nail and the shellac, and it just got worse. becuase it was christmas (and they couldn't fit me in until day 9), by the time i went in for a redo, i had a chip or fault on every finger.
the techs reapplied new shellac and it looked great. by that evening, i got my first chip. one of the techs had hers on for 3 weeks and counting, while the other lost 3 the first night. i will be trying to go for gelish or something else and doing it myself. i figure if i do have trouble, i can fix it. shellac does protect your nails. i've had very little damage, but it has meant repairs daily to free edges- on virtually every nail.

hi,
i am someone who has weak nails (though the beautician said i was not in her bad category lol), my nails tend to split and generally break, particularly my right index and middle finger.
i heard about shellac from said beautician and gave it a try. i liked that it was not thick like acrylics and would not damage my nails.
i read an article where one woman showed terribly pitted shellac nails and thought she was some kind of....that was day three.
by day four i had my first chip. i thought one chip, suck it up. the next day, watering the garden i got potting mix between my nail and the shellac, and it just got worse. becuase it was christmas (and they couldn't fit me in until day 9), by the time i went in for a redo, i had a chip or fault on every finger.
the techs reapplied new shellac and it looked great. by that evening, i got my first chip. one of the techs had hers on for 3 weeks and counting, while the other lost 3 the first night. i will be trying to go for gelish or something else and doing it myself. i figure if i do have trouble, i can fix it. shellac does protect your nails. i've had very little damage, but it has meant repairs daily to free edges- on virtually every nail.

Hi,
I sense your frustration but trying to do it yourself, I don't feel, will help. These types of products are made for professional use and the techs involved have been trained/qualified in their use and there are very set procedures in applying them.

With regard to your problem, did your tech advise you on care ? You mentioned potting mix ! It is advisable to wear gloves when doing this type of work because you may have damaged the free edge when gardening etc causing some lift.

If you have weak nails then it may be an idea to have a strengthener put on 1st. I am not sure what the Shellac version is (I am sure someone here will know). Gelish uses "Structure Gel"

Hope this helps :)

Try the gel-lac from crystalnails.Beautyfullcolors.TOP EN BASE in one save you money.1 coat colors so not 2 save you product en time:green:

I am in no way involved with Cnd I use shellac I gave tried the others and they to me IMO don't compare in terms of application longivity and it's a hybrid polish as opposed to a paint on gel.

Yes as said there was techs having problems but as it was such a hugely used product as compared to the other products it's almost obvious you will get more people having problems as is the same for more people praising the product as more techs on a percentage basis use shellac.

Problems I encountered were to do with ME and I'm honest to put my hand up and not blame my products but it was my technique lack of understanding to begin with.

Hi there, I am a Shellac user, I have also trialed Gelac, and for me personally Shellac wins hands down. It does what it says on the bottle. I have never had any problems with the product - aside from my own creations in the first week until I understood the product:lol: I have experienced some problems with Gelac, which maybe down to user error, however I do find it is very thin, and you need at least 3 coats of colour for a good even coverage. Have a look at the Gelish and Shellac groups and you can find out more from the members of those groups

We have been using gelish for 6 weeks in the spa i work at. The reason we chose gelish was because we couldnt get ahold of shellac :( our supplier told us gelish was also same concept so we decided to go with it. It has alot more color's to choose from as well. Which gives clients more choices and they love that! My guess on shellac since I have never used it is that it is a GREAT product as well but was the first to come out so has more users... I don't necessarily think it means it is a better product. But like with every thing each products have their pro's and con's, we just have to decide what works best for us and our clients. :)

I have tried shellac and I'm feel the bottles are too small, goes thick and claggy quickly and not enough colours, so I tried a few others and love Gelish.

It is fab bigger bottles, loads more colours and though I still offer shellac colours (using them up) everyone chooses the Gelish colours.

I love it and so do the customers says it all really!

Good Luck with your choice, it is a minefield out there! :)

I use both shellac and gelish, I love anything by CND because I trust the products and the training.. Shellac has changed my world!! It's beautiful to work with, lasts more than 14 days on most of my clients but they always come back before any problems occur because of obvious nail growth!!
I love the ease of removal too, just wish they were larger bottles for the money! I absolutely love the products,training, advice and prompt service that CND are most famous for :))
Gelish- it states on the instruction leaflet to buff the nail plate with the 100 grit side of the 100/180G nail harmony file??? REALLY????
Maybe it's an "IT" error but, I deffinately don't!! It also states on the educational to break the seal of the surface before it's soaked off so a tad more time on the service. Thus quashing the myth that the two systems are similar.
Great choice of colours and the gelish viscosity is lovely, there's more in the bottle, thus more sets per bottle too and the added bonus of having the choice of using 2 coats of top it off for a little more strength or the structure gel for a stronger enhancement altogether. Although I have found that bio sculpture gel and Go Gel is excellent with both Shellac and Gelish if repairing a nail or extending the odd nail or two! Just gently buff away when the rest are being soaked off! I love shellac and can't wait for the new colours that will be here soon!!

Me personally find it false economy as with shellac you only need it applied thin but I found with gellish it needed 3 colour coats sometimes as the viscosity was alot diffrent not as creamy as shellac.

I never have trouble with mine going cloggy as prev poster said but that said I work quick when you work slower this can sometimes effect the structure of your product as it's exposed to uv light and solvents are escaping from that open bottle , you gotta work quick.

SHELLAC ROCKS

Me personally find it false economy as with shellac you only need it applied thin but I found with gellish it needed 3 colour coats sometimes as the viscosity was alot diffrent not as creamy as shellac.

I never have trouble with mine going cloggy as prev poster said but that said I work quick when you work slower this can sometimes effect the structure of your product as it's exposed to uv light and solvents are escaping from that open bottle , you gotta work quick.

SHELLAC ROCKS

I use both Shellac and Gelish and love them both. I especially love Black Shadow Gelish as did a lot if my clients over the festive period. I personally have never had to do a third coat of Gelish.

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back