Gelish or Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clodieb123

Reaction score
Hi guys just wondering what people think of the gelish products. do you have to buff the nail before applying? where can i get it? I dont know whether to go for this or the shellac? any advice would be great thanks

Try gelish! It's thinner, way more color to chose from and u get more for ur money

Shellac, Shellac, Shellac. Its a brand name that clients know and ask for and for some techs this is where most of there business comed from rather than acrylics or gels. I think you would make more cash offering shellac but money is not everything. Perhaps your into nails as hobby I don't know

You have to buff nails before applying gelish not with shellac.
Shellac can from what some tech say take longer to remove.
But I like gelish colours especially neon ones.
But shellac can be mixed to make other shades and glitter added to make rockstar nails

upside to both.

Shellac, it's easier to remove and is better for the natural nail as you don't have to buff them x
People also ask for shellac by name!

Im Gelish! Lots of colours to choose from, my clients love it! - As you can see we all like different so maybe try both out for yourself before you make your decision as they are both great products x

Hi guys just wondering what people think of the gelish products. do you have to buff the nail before applying? where can i get it? I dont know whether to go for this or the shellac? any advice would be great thanks

I use Shellac

Available from Sweet Squared 08452106060 (www.sweetsquared.com) if you are registered with them as a professional

Shellac is a Power Polish and not a gel (which is the largest difference between the two products).

Shellac is marketed to natural nail clients for extended wear manicures with no dry time.

There is NO buffing of the natural nail with Shellac ... even lightly!! lol For this reason, Shellac appeals very much to ladies who love their natural nails as the coating is also thin with no extra bulk.

Because the Shellac bottles are small, the product stays fresh and usable to the last, with less contamination and is less initial outlay to set up to use it.

There are as many Shellac colours to choose from than any other polish line ... there are 30 beautiful shades and 100 more by simply layering one shade over another (which also means less outlay to have the same amount of choice which is a brilliant concept conceived by CND to help technicians budget)

Shellac is also a 3 free product and hypoallergenic which are just 2 USP's that are very important.

Two very different products in many ways. It is actually difficult to compare as the way they work and how they work is so different.

I hope this helps you to determine which is the best product for your business.

Last edited:
I would go and try both for yourself. That's the only way you'll know what you like.

I was recently trying to decide which way to go also.

I decided to try them both and so I removed my acrylics and went and had Gelish applied and although they have a great color range, I did not like having my natural nail buffed.
So I lean more towards Shellac for that reason.

And although Shellac is more expensive, they have advertised hugely which makes it well known so clients ask for it by name.

I use both systems and like both of them. Gelish offers a wide range of colors but layering of Shellac offers a wide range of colors, too.

Shellac (marketed as 2+ week manicure) is a bit gentler on the natural nail because there is no buffing of the nail plate prior for prep. Gelish (marketed as a 3+ week manicure) requires this for application.

Shellac doesn't requires buffing for removal and comes off in 10 minutes. Gelish requires buffing off the shine and comes off in 12-15 minutes.

Shellac is fab i've been using it for over a year never had any problems and also most of my clients have it now even my acrylic clients love it. I sometimes put base an top coat over nail art so it gives it a longer life and shine just charge extra for it

I have both. Had Shellac since it was launched in the UK. Bought Gelish as I wanted dark colours for Xmas last year. That was before Sally's started selling Gelish. Being honest if I'd known Gelish was to be sold in Sally's I wouldn't have bought it. Shellac have some lovely dark colours now.

Now that non-pros can get their hands on Shellac on ebay and other places like that, I'm not upset by Gelish being sold in Sally's anymore.

Latest posts

Back