Gels came off after swimming in chlorine ??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HAILZTONES

Reaction score
Hi all,

One of my clients this week was due for infills on her Brisa overlays. I arrived to find that she didn't have a single bit of gel on her nails whatsoever. She went away for a long weekend to Centreparks, she said she did alot of swimming and the overlays came off whole?? What makes me think it was the chlorine is that her friend who also has gel nail enhancements done elsewhere, hers came off altogether too!!

Has anyone else had this problem at all?

Hayley

i wouldn't think chlorine would lift gel off, im a swimmer and i wear brisa and i have now problems with lifting. as long as you prep correctly, it shouldn't lift.

I know that Bio-Sculpture say that you shouldn't go swimming in the first 48 hours after application, as they are still undergoing the curing process.:D

I use Brisa and have hairdressers and swimmers as clients and have never encountered this ~ Brisa is non porous Gel so shouldnt be affected by water. How did her nails look when you Scrubfreshed? Any damage caused when her nails 'came off' would be evident.

Layrex9 said:
I know that Bio-Sculpture say that you shouldn't go swimming in the first 48 hours after application, as they are still undergoing the curing process.:D

Never heard of this before ~ Biosculpture is a porous Gel which you soak in acetone/ product remover to remove. Correct me if I am wrong but I though Gel was completely cured under the UV lamp didnt know it continued for 48 hours ;)

48 hours??? i thought curing takes 2 to 3mins in the lamp!!

Oh yes it does cure in the lamp, but it does continue to cure, just as L&P does for 48 hours after application. With the L&P it is continuous development, over a period of 48 hours of the chain entanglement, it is to do with the chemistry of the product. Bio-Sculpture gel is similar, I don't know about other gels though. It may be different for other products, I am only familiar with the technology of the ones I use. :green:

This is a quote from Creative Nails I have just found on the net:

"

Why? [FONT=Verdana, Arial]First . . . Did you know that it takes 24 - 48 hours for the product to fully cure? Using Solar Oil three - four times in the first 24 hours will keep oxygen out of the product, resulting in some 50% faster cure rates (which results in longer lasting nails)."[/FONT]

The quote from the Creative Website is for L&P - Brisa Gel cures fully under the Brisa Lamp in 2 minutes, I cant comment on Biosculptures formulations as I dont use it.

Layrex9 said:
This is nonsense.
"They are still undergoing curing process" Under the sun? Or table light?
Article was about L&P, not gels ,hun.:smack:

Are you sure you followed the prep steps correctly?

I had a similar thing with a client who's Brisa nails all peeled off in the pool on holiday in Greece.

It wasn't until she came back and we talked about it, I realised I forgot to use the Liquid Bond :o

I confessed, and fortunately she was fine about it as I was still in training at the time.

Lesson learned though, I never forget to use it anymore :lol:

Portia

OK .............. Having ignored a few posts about swimming causing enhancements to lift I have to comment.

Swimming does not affect any type of enhancement or cause them to lift ... IF ... they are properly applied in the first place and ... if the client takes care of the enhancements by moisturizing them on a regular basis.

It is nonsense! Do you think anyone in California (home of nails) where they live in the water, would ever have their nails done if this was the case?? I swim every day in the summer and my nails never lift.

Nails lift for one simple reason (barring the rarest of cases) and that reason is that they were never on properly in the first place!!

HI

I wear biosculpture overlays and i swim everyday, i am also a hairdresser as well as beauty therapist and nail tech, so my nails are always in water. I dont get any lifting, i have also been to centre parcs a lot and never get any probs.

geeg said:
Nails lift for one simple reason (barring the rarest of cases) and that reason is that they were never on properly in the first place!!

Ok.....well this must be one of those rare cases!! I have being using Brisa over this clients own natural nails for the last 6 months, and this is the first time there has been a problem. I did the correct prep, scrubfreshed and liquid bond was definately used. Maybe the client hasn't been completely honest with me, maybe she picked it off, but what I found strange was that there wasn't a single bit of gel left on her nails.

Hayley

HAILZTONES said:
Maybe the client hasn't been completely honest with me, maybe she picked it off, but what I found strange was that there wasn't a single bit of gel left on her nails.

Hayley

clients are amazing flower at picking nails off in one piece, i reckon she trying to get one over on ya.

one of my clients will sit for hours and pick a nail of (in one piece) and tell me it just came off..........this is bull crap. have a look at her nails, and see if you can see any sort of damage, ie - like the top layer of natural nail has come off...............this is the dead give away that they been picking and prising at them. gels dont come off in water pet..........christ.....acetone dont even penetrate gel, so how would water....................

If she hasn't been using her solar oil, especially after swimming her nails will be dehydrated. This may have been the cause, but i would question wether she has helped them herself especially as there was no gel left on the nail whatsoever.

check the nail plates for signs of damage, if there isn't any check you prep and applciation.

I had natural overlay done once ages ago, and I did some dishes and they did came off. Silly me, did know nothing about this fine art at the time and tech did not think that it would be nice to warn me about this.

Latest posts

Back