Getting clients to book with a newly qualified therapist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ruby19

Reaction score
Hi All,

Hope everyone had a good Xmas and New Year.:)

I am looking for help or ideas on how to get my existing and new clients booking in with my newly trained therapist. She qualified at NVQ2 level last July and has been qualified in a wide range of treatments since. She is now doing NVQ3 and will be further qualified in July of this year.

The problem I am finding is that as she is only young, people seem reluctant to book in with her when they know I am available. I don't really want to discount treatments as all the trade publications advise against this as they feel it can 'cheapen' the salon. I also want to avoid reducing prices when margins are tight as it is.

I only have one treatment room for facials, waxing, massage etc. with a manicure station in the front room. I would happilly let her do treatments to improve her skills even if it mean't I was sat round doing nothing. At the moment I am paying a majority of her time just to sit there and answer the phone and I can't really afford to do this.

Any ideas that you can give would be really appreciated.

Thanks everyone
Ruby19

If you really don't want to discount (which I would do)

How about something like:

Free Nail Art (just something basic) with every Full Set?
Free Hand & Arm massage with every facial (don't cost anything if you do it whilst the masque is setting for example)

or something along those lines........ and the offer is only with that certain therapist?

HTHs xx

Last edited:
I think you should discount.

If I was booking into get my hair done I would not expect to pay the same price for a newly qualified stylist as the top stylist.

The salon I go to has different prices according to the therapists experience and this seems to work very well for them as it gives the younger therapists experience and clients that are on a budget chance to indule themselves !

If I employed a newly qualified therapist then I would discount heavily until I felt she had enough experience to charge full price.

I'm not a beauty therapist, so my comments come from a client's perspective. Is she as competent to carry out the treatment as you? If so, then why give clients a choice? If you feel you give a superior treatment, then I think it fair to discount it. It's normal practice in all the hairdressers I've been in to charge less for juniors and more for senior sylists.

if you dont feel she is quiet to a standard your hapy with, why not get yours or hers friends and family in and train her/ give helpful hints. see for yourself her standard of finished work.

otherwise if it was me id give a discount, until she has gained good experience and more conifidence (as i think this is half the battle, or it was for me)
i think sometimes its the way you word your adverts, also ive had in the past my boss almost putting them off by the way she worded it over the phone.

hope you figure something out

xxx

1 Book all new clients in with her, they won't have a preconceived opinion of her as they've not had treatments with either of you.

2 To introduce her to your existing clients so that they can see that she knows what she is doing, get her to help with treatments eg removing eyelash tint and masques, simple file and varnishes etc. That way they start to get to know her and are more likely to book in with her in future as she's not a 'stranger' to them.

3 As you only have limited space you have to make it pay. That means if you are doing a facial and someone else wants a manicure at the same time, they will HAVE to book in with her, especially if you're busy - you can't do two treatments at once.

4 Couldn't you do an introductory discount on her treatments for a limited time? and explain to existing clients if they ask that it's because january is a quieter time of year, (rather than saying because your employee is just starting out)

Good luck to you both, I know from experience that clients do tend to want to book with 'the boss', they automatically assume you are better at everything. . which is crazy as we all have our strengths and weaknesses. I have found that both the girls who work for me love doing pedicures and do better spray tans than me so I'm more than happy to persuade clients to book those treatments in with them and not me! and once the clients have had a treatment they then think that therapist is the best thing since sliced bread! It just takes time. . .

I agree with booking all new clients with her.

I wouldn't discount because when do you decide that she's had enough experience and start charging full price. Clients are then going to be unhappy if they've been getting cheap services and then are expected to pay full price. If she is a trained competent therapist then people should be paying for a trained competent therapist.

IF you decide to discount, I'd do some specials instead of discounts, eg, until the end of February, all facials $5 discount. Or pay for 1 spray tan, get 2nd $5 off. etc.

A lot of people are ageist and will assume a younger new therapist isn't as good until they try their services.

Its all about her strengths and weakness. She has to be confident to carry out her treatments so that new clients are treated no different to if you were to do them. My Newbie is a looong way from doing nails in the salon and I know this so she does mainly mani's, pedi's, natural nail overlays and occasion nails. She does her friends nails and over christmas I gave her a few clients that wanted white tip n gel overlay and she did a good job so I know she is on her way. My clients have no probs going to her for a pedi and nails to me and when she is ready I will tell them if that if I am not in that she is competant to do their nails.

You should not discount any treatments because your Therapist is new and young.
As someone suggested, book in new clients with her. Let her do all of the treatments to get gain her confidence.

We all like and dislike some treatments, but still have to do all of them! She will soon be on a roll and everyone would like her.

I had a client who told me exactly what to do when I first started. I didnt even realise until a while after that she didnt trust me as I was new at the salon!:)

Why not do the reverse of discounting by putting your prices up so people can pay more for your expertise or book in with her. :hug:

Also find the treatment that she is most competent with and tell all your clients she is going to do all of those treatments from now on for example pedicures, when they get to know her through those treatments they will book other things with her. Also as has been said book all new clients in with her. You could also do a special offer mini/taster facial for example but only allow them to be booked with her.

When I was new at my previous salon, my boss used to her advantage the fact that I liked doing pedicures! From day 1, she would tell her clients she wasnt doing pedicures any longer, because I was far better than her...not necessarily true, but it gave her the opportunity to free up some appointment spaces to do the treatments I wasn't qualified to do at the time, and it made clients warm to me...they thought they were getting a better version of their regular treatment! It's amazing what a bit of psychology can do! Once they'd had 1 or 2 treatments with me, it became an easier move from 1 therapist to another :)

Latest posts

Back