Getting in to the beauty industry

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corey

Reaction score
hi im new to this i have just posted a thread but had no replies not sure if im posting in the correct bit! can some one help me i qualify this year in level 3 nails ive qualified in level 2! i think its going to be quite hard to get a job in a salon with me having no experience at all would you recommend goin mobile or renting if i fail in getting a job!
thank you x

Hi hun, would just like to say welcom:hug: U will love this site it is fab. I am not really the best to advise on nails but just wanted to say hi and good look in whatever you decide chic xxx

Goood luck sweetie, i'm sure you will find something.....you can but try. Have you tried looking at saturday jobs?
Posted via Mobile Device

if you produce good nails you'll have no problem landing a job (theoretically that is; im not sure how the market is where you live) . generally its a good idea to work as an employee of a salon and get paid hourly while you build up a loyal clientele, before you rent or venture out on your own, but its not necessary. personally, I have rented since I got out of college and never had any problems building a clientele, but theres also a massive shortage of nail techs where I live:)
Posted via Mobile Device

My educator gave me a bit of advice when I passed. She said I wouldn't have any problem getting a job in a salon but I haven't felt able to apply for any salon positions for one reason or another. She also said that speaking to salon owners and asking if they would allow you to work for them for free. Obviously not for ever but perhaps for a short period of time, maybe a couple of days? This was for a few reasons. Firstly to give you the opportunity to gain experience in a salon, secondly to enable you to get a some kind of rererence from them and thirdly so that you can put it on your cv or in your portfolio.

I haven't done this, not because I think it's a rubbish idea, but because I don't want to work in a salon. I actually think it's a good idea. I think it shows initiative and willingness.

thank you very much for you advice that is a great idea Gilly T! i may try that! i dont qualify till like june next year but i will start looking into things early to see what is the best oppertunity for me!
would any one recommend starting off mobile or is starting in a salon the best solution for the future?
thank you

Gilly is right about getting some experience to put on your CV.

When I was training I decided that although it wasnt my aim to work in a salon I would benefit from seeing how things work in them. I volunteered one day a week whilst I was training to attend a salon near to me free of charge and I believe that made a massive difference to my confidence when I qualified as I had seen how different things work in a salon compared to being at college.

well i do go to a salon near me one day a week from college, which is really good because i can see how the therapists carry out their treatments and i get to see what it is like in a salon environment

Why not start approaching salons now whilst you are training for some work experience ? This may lead to a job once you are fully qualified ?

Also I find it best to hand your cv in personally that way you may even be able to have a quick chat with the manager and give an excellent first impression (whilst checking out the salon for yourself!) :)

Latest posts

Back