Gggrrr ~ what am I doing wrong ~ nails still chipping!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LOU LOU

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am soooo frustrated.

On Monday I painted my nails. I used the Orly Bonder then I applied a thin layer of colour (Ruby, by Orly), then another coat of colour and finished off with the Orly top coat.

This morning they have all (6/10) have started to chip and it's driving me :mad:. I have been to (Fat Club) Slimming World this morning and I work on the shop there and all i've done is get things out of boxes and take money and since then my nails have chipped like buggery (sorry, lol). Surely it should last longer than this. I mean people have gotto be able to "have a life" and still have polish left on their fingers.

Geeg, I did follow your advice and apply thin layers ~ honest! :Scared: lol

What am I doing wrong?

I think you'll love Shellac when you can get it, i have had my demo nail done for nearly 11 days now and it is absolutely perfect, not so much as a scratch, i cant rave enough about it as no matter what polish i use, it never lasts more than two days for me without chipping, but i have to admit, im quite harsh on my oul hands!

its probably because you have thin, flexible nails.

polish lasts much longer on people who have strong firm nails because they dont bend and flex .

if the polish is less flexible than your nails then it will crack and chip when your own nails bend.

I think you'll love Shellac when you can get it, i have had my demo nail done for nearly 11 days now and it is absolutely perfect, not so much as a scratch, i cant rave enough about it as no matter what polish i use, it never lasts more than two days for me without chipping, but i have to admit, im quite harsh on my oul hands!

Thanks hun.

Do we know when Shellac will be on sale?

It can't come quick enough for me atm. I'm beginning to lose confidence and think that i'm doing something wrong! :sad:

its probably because you have thin, flexible nails.

polish lasts much longer on people who have strong firm nails because they dont bend and flex .

if the polish is less flexible than your nails then it will crack and chip when your own nails bend.

What do you say to clients who come back within a couple of days saying that their polish has chipped/peeled off? Is this their fault or the fault of the Mancurist?

I'm new to this and don't know really what to say to the client. Would you refund the client etc?

Hi Lou

I have really soft flexable nails and no matter who does my nails, polish won't last more than 24 hours. So its not the application but my nails, maybe the same for you :biggrin:

Annie

:o I assumed you had silk on your nails, hence my answer (forgot your blending your own nails thread), but then a good thorough prep can help, but as Angelfingers says, if the nails are very thin and flexible (and they might be considering) Sorry for me misunderstanding...

Hi Yes I would definatley say it's because of your thin nails as they are flexible and bendy so as soon as they bend the varnish will crack whatever you do, my friend had the same as you but nowhere near as bad ( not from me lol she used to go to the nail bars in town) and it took a month for them to get back into good condition, just keep oiling them as much as you can and they will soon get back into good condition, another good thing to do is oil all your nails before washing up put rubber gloves on and that will act as a hot oil treatment also. :biggrin:

Thanks hun.

Do we know when Shellac will be on sale?

It can't come quick enough for me atm. I'm beginning to lose confidence and think that i'm doing something wrong! :sad:

Its out here a little quicker in Ireland as its a small country but as far as i know its being launched in May in the UK, maybe give Sweet Squared a call.

Like me i really think it will be the answer to your prayers, my own nails are quite weak and the polish never says on them longer than a couple of days, i wouldnt say its anything your doing, polish unfortunately is just like that, the slightest knock and its off, especially if your nails are bendy like mine. My own natural nail underneath the shellac is growing longer and because of the protection of the shellac its perfect, no chipping or breaking, it definately provides protection even if its not as strong protection as enhancements. You wont be disappointed thats for sure!!

What do you say to clients who come back within a couple of days saying that their polish has chipped/peeled off? Is this their fault or the fault of the Mancurist?

I'm new to this and don't know really what to say to the client. Would you refund the client etc?

it really is nobodys fault. well maybe we could blame mother nature lol.

as you become more experienced you will learn to recognise the types of nails that it wont do so well on. the worst ones will be thin bendy nails with a short nail bed and a long free edge. these are the ones that will have maximum movement in them. these occur naturally as well as when the nails have sustained damage.

most manicure clients will ask how long you expect the polish to last and now you know why it chips you will be able to give give them an explanation.
even with the best techniques and products and aftercare it still boils down to the condition of the natural nail.

Try 'scrubbing' the nail with scrubfresh before applying the basecoat. It will get rid of any oils and should help it last longer.

I would never give a refund for a chipped polish. It happens, unfortunately.

If it is almost straight away after having it done and it SMUDGED, then I repair.

Latest posts

Back