Glamour basement? London

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pinkknailss

www.luxetanning.co.uk #Princess
Reaction score
Anyone herd of this business in central London?

I've been invited to a trial on Friday night as a manicurist and asked to bring my own kit. They do like up market pamper parties.
They say they will only pay me if the night has gone well and they want to hire me.

I haven't heard of you but the last line of your post tells me that they are a company to stay away from.

i have not heard of them either, but agree with the last post. Maybe best to avoid! x

Never heard of them but as the others are saying your last sentence throws alarm bells at me. So you go do your thing for the night using your supplies... and they MIGHT pay you?

After googling them they are charging £129.99 per person for the glamour party you would be working at. And you MIGHT get paid....

The testimonials from the customers are all well and good on the site, but I don't see any from the technicians/ beauticians.... wonder if any of them got paid.:|

I'm not saying they are dodgy but I would be asking to go along and see a party before I decided to go and work at one. I mean what's the harm in letting you see what you would have to be doing for the night?

tread carefully is my advice

With the last sentance hunny, I would say no. You will work your bottom off, then not be paid hhmmm. What if you do a fantastic job and then they sorry it's not good enough just so they don't pay you. That's really unfair!! I would research research and more research just so you don't get ripped off.

hey ya, if it was me i would steer clear esp as it seems they are hedging their bets at not paying you before you have even been and tried out, i think that speaks volumes about them already imo! If i was going to work for someone else it would have to be for a boss who was fair and i dont think right from the off it seems that way? maybe it is standard practise im not sure?
i was under the impression that if you where doing a trial anything under 4hrs they didnt have to pay you, but over they do regardless of how you have done. hopefully someone who employs staff and knows their employment law will be along shortly to let you know :wink2:

I've been invited to a trial on Friday night as a manicurist and asked to bring my own kit. They do like up market pamper parties.
They say they will only pay me if the night has gone well and they want to hire me.

Well they're not soft are they? They will only pay you if the night goes well, use you more like. I personally wouldn't do it, I'd stay well clear and try and find somewhere else where you will get paid for your services.:biggrin:

Definitely not. Our world seems to be filling up with people who don't want to do the training but want the profit from us having done the training. :rolleyes:

I think there are factors that you would have to take into account, you have been "invited" did you apply ? Did you show interest , was it a recommendation for them to call you by someone?
Who?
Or was it a cold call?

What treatments do they want you to do with your own kit? If I had a high end pamper party business I would only want my theropists using certain branded products that helps there advertising to,
I would also trade test before the day.

Last edited:
I think there are factors that you would have to take into account, you have been "invited" did you apply ? Did you show interest , was it a recommendation for them to call you by someone?
Who?
Or was it a cold call?

What treatments do they want you to do with your own kit? If I had a high end pamper party business I would only want my theropists using certain branded products that helps there advertising to,
I would also trade test before the day.

I applied on gumtree and then they invited me for the trial.
The email cut down basically says this

We would like to invite you to a trial session on Friday 29th July at 7pm- 10pm.
You will be required to give mini manicures which will include:
-File/shape
-Hand massage
-Polish application

It is essential that our clients feel pampered so always maintain a bubbly and positive attitude while providing the manicures.
Please make sure you bring your nail kit along with you.

If your trial day is successful we will go on to offer your permanent position with a suitable salary dependant on experience and hours you are available to work.
Please be punctual and contact me on

Ok , so you have been invited to a trial , a trade test it dose seem like a full job as its late at night maybe its a trial with clients to see how you go , its 3 hours work if its fruitles then warn others , if its not then you might get a good job?

If i went to a job interview I would not expect to be payed. I would expect part of that intervuie to be the job its self, IYSWIM
you applied they want to do a trade test ,

If they expect their clients to have top class treatments and feel pampered then they would not let anyone who they have not previously trialled anywhere near them!

For the paying public, how would you like to pay these rates to find that someone who has answered an ad on Gumtree is there to do a trial on you?

If they expect their clients to have top class treatments and feel pampered then they would not let anyone who they have not previously trialled anywhere near them!

For the paying public, how would you like to pay these rates to find that someone who has answered an ad on Gumtree is there to do a trial on you?

Exactly! Their quality of service and technician should be paramount to them and it obviously isn't as they are happy to let unknown people represent their company. They could run parties forever on people who apply this way and never have to pay anyone! Not a good company which ever way you look at it.

I think they mean pay you for the trial not paying you for everytime you work

Thank you everyone

Should I take my own polishes?

This really annoys me - my friends daughter qualified level 2 in May and is currently working in a salon for free as she's really struggling to get a placement anywhere to do her level 3....the owner has said "well, if you're any good then we might pay you in a bit". There's something like 4 beauty rooms and no other therapists - it just seems a bit wrong.

Ok so I shall take

Nail Files
Cuticle remover/pusher
Cuticle oil
Pastel colour polishes
Buffer
Gem stones
Hand cream

Anything I'm missing?

Ok so I shall take

Nail Files
Cuticle remover/pusher
Cuticle oil
Pastel colour polishes
Buffer
Gem stones
Hand cream

Anything I'm missing?

Call them and ask what exactly you shuld bring , and what you shuld wear this is the best way to be prepared for what they want ,

You don't want to turn up with a hundred polishes and all sorts of nail art items ,

Call them and ask what exactly you shuld bring , and what you shuld wear this is the best way to be prepared for what they want ,

You don't want to turn up with a hundred polishes and all sorts of nail art items ,

They said the list was fine and to wear all black....i don't have black trousers so jeans are gonna have to do!

Thank you for the help!

They said the list was fine and to wear all black....i don't have black trousers so jeans are gonna have to do!

Thank you for the help!

If you're wanting to appear to be a top class professional I would advise against jeans - black or not! You can get a pair of black work trousers cheaply.

Latest posts

Back