Going to be a tourist......

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spray 2 Go

Independent Geek!
Reaction score
Hi Guys

We're taking our two teenage boys to London for the weekend and are looking forward to being tourists rather than on business trips this time! We have got the hotel, London Eye and river cruise booked, and then we're going to see Spamalot on Saturday eve - does anyone have any other suggestions for worthwhile places to visit?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mandy x

Try the Trocedero (sp) - there is lots to in there for families when it is cold and wet!

Have a great time!

Try the Trocedero (sp) - there is lots to in there for families when it is cold and wet!

Have a great time!

it could be gloriously sunny !!!!!

Have a nice time Mandy, hubby bought me a night away with a mate in london with a show (mama mia) cant wait.

i'll watch this with interest !

amb x

The Tower of London has got something for everyone, the gory bits will keep the kids rivetted!!! The queues can be long though..... The London Dungeons are there as well, meant to be really gory and scary - right up teenagers alleys! The Science Museuem is a hands-on, touchy type of museum, is huge and free to get in! Loads to see and do in there though, Natural History Museum too......

Personally, I love the National Gallery but it's art - not for everyone, lol!!!

Harrods is wicked to walk around, but beware by the time you've been in there 2 hours you're looking at stuff costing £5k thinking that's a bargain, lmao!!!!

If you want to do the good old-fashioned tourist things, Buckingham Palace, The Mall and Horseguards Parade are as fab as ever...... Oxford Street for shopping......

Does that help??

Thats fab thanks!

Have now got Science Museum and the Trocadero added to our list as well as a lunchtime trip to Beni Hanas where we'll have our personal Japanese chef cooking food at our table! Going to be a fab weekend for us as well as the boys as we haven't had a holiday for at least 2 years. I guess we all have to take time out at some stage lol!

Will let you know how we got on!

Mandy x

Covent Garden is lovely too. There are some great little bistros etc. The market has some fab little stalls the check out too.

Have a great time. :D

Thats fab thanks!

Have now got Science Museum and the Trocadero added to our list as well as a lunchtime trip to Beni Hanas where we'll have our personal Japanese chef cooking food at our table! Going to be a fab weekend for us as well as the boys as we haven't had a holiday for at least 2 years. I guess we all have to take time out at some stage lol!

Will let you know how we got on!

Mandy x

Its time you all had a break then ... two weeks sounds more like the ticket you need tho...lol!! Enjoy your weekend and all the excitement of the Captial :)

I am off there too with Carl for the weekend in March to see Sound of Music :)

great thread my middle boy ash is 10 in feb and i am going to take him and his brothers to london during half term, he wants to do all the tower of london etc,
let us know what you did when you get back, then i know what places are worth going too
vetty i have written down all the places you have mentioned

Try the Tate Modern (all museums & art galleries are free!), my daughter loves all the funky art there and they've got a mahousive (as she puts it) slide that covers all floors! You'll need to get there soon after opening to get your slide tickets, but it's worth it.
If you doing Covent Garden the David & Goliath shop is a must. Have fun.:wink2:

David & Goliath - Thats right, We make better tee shirts than the rest.

We have been twice to london to do the shows its fab, we always go to covent gardens its lovely china town is good too.
we are going in august to take the little one to see the lion king.
Have a lovley time Mandy :hug:

You can jump on a sightseeing bus any where around the city. They go all over the place. If you're going on the London Eye, why not take a wander over Westminster Bridge and go to the Houses of Parliament?

Planet Holloywood is good for something to eat, lots to look at.

Teri x:hug:

The museum where the dinosaurs are is a must to see!!! There is a huge moving Tyrannasaurus Rex... and lots of other stuff! I loved it... but give Buckingham Palace a miss.. it's just a big dirty house :lol:

You can jump on a sightseeing bus any where around the city. They go all over the place. If you're going on the London Eye, why not take a wander over Westminster Bridge and go to the Houses of Parliament?

We love the tour buses, you get a free river cruise with them aswell.
If you save up your Tesco clubcard vouchers they're worth 4 times more if you exchange them for days out vouchers. We've had a day on the tour buses for about £15 of clubcard vouchers. BARGAIN!!:wink2:

Tesco.com - Deals - Unexpected error

Although it says error, I think the link still works.

Definately the Tate Modern for the Carsten Holler slides!!!

They are there until April I think.

This is where we went the weekend before my boyfriends lung collapsed - he and his brother (28 and 31 yrs old) loved them! They yelled all the way down.

They are free, but as was said before, you do need to get tickets. However, queue for your tickets early on and then go off and do something else. Just return at your allotted time (they will tell you the earliest each slide is available (there are 5, one on each of the different floor levels) but you can request a later time if you want).

If your boys like football why not try Chelsea football club they do tours and it's just next to the Kings Road great for shopping and star spotting, my older son loved it even though he is a Spurs fan.

Have fun!

Thanks for all your suggestions - although to do any more I think we could have done with a week there! lol

Well, what a fab weekend! We got there on Friday lunchtime and booked into a fab hotel WITH parking! Walked to London Eye did the river cruise and then the big wheel itself which was amazing!

Kids found the amusement arcade next to Mackie D's which I have to admit was good fun! Went to a fab fish restaurant for dinner with the offer tickets we got with the eye and cruise booking.

Saturday was a shopping day in Regent Street and Oxford Street and lunch at Beni Hanas - the best bit of all! A Japanese chef cooked our lunch at our table - he was such a comedian! An absolute must for a different sort of lunchtime entertainment.
Whilst the boys went off for time to explore on their own - Hamleys, Apple shop etc, I decided to have my hair cut in a "top London salon" thought it would be a great treat.................. oh how wrong I was :cry:

I wanted a different style as my hair has been quite long for some years I thought a new style for the new year would be good - but the one thing I didn't want was a bob and made this very clear from the start - I had one years ago and it didn't suit me.

The stylist had other ideas - he said he would give me the mini make over of my life, sat me down with a glass of wine then asked me what I thought of the lady's hair to my left..... it was a mix of long and short, very dull looking and roots slightly showing through - looked like it could do with a good style and needed a conditioning treatment, I said I didn't like it and had to give him my reasons why............... hmmm BAD thing to say! He was so proud of his newly styled client who just happened to be a fashion editor for a magazine!!! ooops:rolleyes: well he did ask! lol

It all went down hill from there...... he then started to chop into my long hair and said a bob would look good on me - and cut a line across the nape of my neck and asked me if I was loving my new look yet?????!!!!! He then asked me for marks out of 10 for the cut so far...... at best I thought it may be worth a 3 but didn't say, I think the look of suprise was enough - then he got stroppy as there is no way I could comment or say I liked it when he hadn't finished it yet......... "then don't ask me to give you marks out of 10 for something you haven't finished yet!" I said to him.

That was it - he threw his scissors down, went off into a major rage and said how he is hairdresser to lots of important people and has been doing his job for 8 years and NO ONE had ever disliked his work!!!! He then refused to continue and got another stylist to take over! Little did he realise that the salon manager was sat right behind him and overheard everything that went on! I was taken down stairs, tidied up by the very embarassed salon manager and shipped out with lots of apologies and a free haircut! Needless to say I won't be returning there again!

I met up with Stu and the boys again and did the tour round China town and then went to see Monty Pythons Spamalot which was fab. Sunday we did the obligitory tour round Harrods and had a few hours in the Science museum and braved the atrocious weather all the way back down the M4 totally exhausted and needing a new pair of feet!

It was a great weekend and I am starting to get used to life without hair! lol It'll grow back...............in time!!!!! :lol:

Mandy x

OMG I can't beleive it. There's Louiser who wanted the bob and wasn't allowed to have it, and you got it and didn't want it! I have visions of some prima donna throwing a hissy fit, sounds like something out of a daft soap opera plot!

it wasnt ricardo from channel4 the salon was it...pmsl
sorry wot a nightmare anyone buggers up my hair i would do damage so i can imagine how mortified you where.....

Oh Mandy... what a nightmare... your crowing glory!

I am glad you had a good weekend (appart from the disasterous hair incident) just to be nosey... did they 'tidy' it up to your satisfaction and did Stu like it in the end?

Latest posts

Back