Good dandruff shampoo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Pink23

Reaction score
Iget a dry scalp at the base of my hair line and the top-sometimes its fine but usually its not and I cant stand it.
Does anyone know of a good shampoo?
Thanks

I used to suffer terrible with this and i tried every shampoo that the chemist sells,
none of them did the trick for me,
good old head and shoulders has sorted my problem and i have been using it for about 8 years now hth

Thanks, unfortunatly I cant use head and shoulders-for some reason it makes the prob worse.

I stock Clynol and they do a shampoo called Therapy i get loads of people coming back for it especially men, so you know it must work, they also do a scalp tonic to rub in the scalp very soothing. I would never recommend a high street product as they just strip the scalp down hope this helps

There's a few anti-dandruff shampoos available from the doctors that maybe you can't buy over the counter too, or a few scalp treatments that you could try? I do suffer with a really dry itchy scalp sometimes myself, but usually one or two good applications of Tigi Peppermint Treatment helps no end! It's cooling and soothing, so we do use it in the salon on the clients we get with sore scalps! (providing they're ok to use it, and it's not something a doctor has told them to avoid of course!!)

Info available here!

Hi

I have also tried all the products available over the years. I have suffered with a very dry scalp especially after giving birth. its a case of trial and error. Even GP couldn't solve it. I looked on the internet and saw a shampoo that is made in Israel. Its a product made using dead sea mud. Its about £6 from holland and barrat. I use that and alternate with ginger shampoo anti dandruff which is made by body shop. My scalp isn't totally clear, but its a hell of alot better.

Try it. I know how much this problem can bring you down, I refused to go to the hairdressers incase they laughed at me or thought I was dirty. I now know its not because of that.

Sarah xx

a good one by goldwell. . also try putting in extra virgin olive oil to ur hair whilst ur hair and scalp is wet to moisturise and sooth the dry itchyness once a week. . perhaps over night, that sorted me right out. . avoid shampooos with sulphates in them as they can be very irritating, i use tigi superstar as it is sulphate free and also colour safe. . x

Thanks, unfortunatly I cant use head and shoulders-for some reason it makes the prob worse.

Have you tried Head & Shoulders SENSITIVE scalp? Works a treat for me.

The only other shampoo I've found that doesn't make my scalp itch and burn is by Aveda, but I couldn't justify the cost when H&S Sen works for me too.

The problem is most people get a dry scalp and immediately associate it as dandruff. Dandruff is totally different to a dry scalp, real dandruff can be of a yellow or grey colour and quite sticky in consistency. Thats why some people find using a "dandruff" shampoo on a dry scalp makes the problem worse as its quite stripping and a dry scalp needs something more nourishing. I wouldnt reccommend any high street brands at all they do worsen the problem. One of the best salon brands i have found for a dry scalp are the wella sp range. they do fantastic treatments for a dry scalp. or as a at home treatment using olive oil as a intense treatment leaving it on pre washed hair for 10 mins is a lovely nourishing treatment.hth. x

My husband suffers from an extremely dry scalp and uses Tgel shampoo. It keeps it at bay and after using it every shampoo, he now only uses it once a week.

Can we please avoid recomending OTC products,we wouldn't recomed a rimmel polish in nail geek would we ? :D

Do you have dandruff or flaky scalp ? There is a huge difference,by treating dandruff when you only have flaky scalp can actually cause it.

Dandruff is verylike cradle cap,yellow in colour,somewhat sticky and often smelly.

Flaky scalp you will notice silverish peices they are dry and if you shake your hair,wioll fall out.

Some products are fairly effective on dandruff however it is a medical condition and is certainly best treated by your doctor.

Many salons will offer a scalp treatment for flaky skin.They are most effective when the scalp is combed with a fine tooth comb and combined with a head massage and extremely thourough shampoo,condition of the hair and scalp and an extra long rinse.

Failling that,students need to carry out this treatment as it's included in their compulsory modules so give your local colleges a call hth's

Can we please avoid recomending OTC products,we wouldn't recomed a rimmel polish in nail geek would we ? :D
Some products are fairly effective on dandruff however it is a medical condition and is certainly best treated by your doctor.

Hi Becki,
My hubby gets Tgel on prescription from our GP.
It states on the bottle that it's effective in the treatment of Scalp Psoriasis, Seborrhoeic Dermatitis (dry itching scalp), and Dandruff.
It contains coal-tar extract and it works.
GPs in other regions might not see fit in prescribing something that can be bought over the counter, however as we live in an isolated area, we don't have the luxury of a Boots/Superdrug/Semichem.
It was suggested as a home treatment and I too would seek professional advice if the condition persisted. :)

Hi Hun

Dandruff can form when the scalp is too dry or too oily.

The main aim when we are treating dandruff is to slow down the reproduction of skin cells and counteract the yeast production that may be causing it.

When you purchase anti-dandruff and anti-fungal prducts look to see if they contain one or more of : Zinc Pyrithidone, selenium Sulphate, Coal Tar, or Ketoconazole. These are all great for treating dandruff!

Your doc may prescribe additional treatments such as steroid scalp applications which helps to reduce any inflammation, (if needed).

Skin cells are constantly renewing themselves . When the skin cells on the scalp are renewed the old ones are pushed to the surface and come away from the scalp.
When you have dandruff skin renewal is twice as fast, so more dead skin is shed making your dandruff more noticeable.

Hope you manage to get it sorted Miss Pink.

Its trial and error, and whats suits one person wont suit the next, depending on the severity of course as well. Try the ones that the geeks have recommended and look for those ingredients.

Hth

Elaine xxxxxxxxxxxxx:hug::hug:

There is one called Zeal that is a coconut based very gentle shampoo that is realy effective. It treats dandruff, eczema and psoriasis. Rather than stripping the scalp it has a normalising effect
hope this helps

Latest posts

Back