Good deal?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jemjem

Reaction score
hey guys

im doing my course in just over a week and im so excited. I felt a bit glum the other day because of getting a clientel going, so i rang around a few salons to see if i could rent an area in their shop. one person called me bk and said i could go there and she has a nail bar i could use ( help me save on cost) she wants £30 a week from me ( i was so excited i could have screamed down the phone lol) but when i looked on the website i think they already have a beautician upstairs who does gel nails. i will be doing acrylic and fiberglass. i know this wont be a huge earner to start with but does anyone think i could build it up to somthing good, the salon looks really nice inside and is in a good area, im just worried i wont get any clients and i dont know how to advertise.

thanks for reading xxx

I personally think a lot of it is word of mouth.

I'm still at college but i've got a lot of people asking me when i'm going to be doing my nails when leaving college. These are people who are friends of friends. Could you get some business cards and ask your friends and family to give them to their family/friends/work colleagues.

Atm, I am just doing nails on friends and family to build up my confidence and experience.

Another piece of advice I was given was NEVER advertise in the paper because you are just advertising that you don't have any business! Some people may disagree with this, but so far, i've not advertised and as i've said, i've got quite a few people waiting for me to start properly.

Why don't you leave some business cards in the ladie's loos in the pubs/bars/restaurants and supermarkets. Also do a price list too as a lot of people do request these too.

Good luck hun and i'm sure you will make it your own.

hey

thanks for the reply. well iv been doing this for just over six months but have not been able to do the course because of costs so im really good at them now, i might try that with the business cards, i was going to put some flyers out too but i dont know if ppl would apreciate me putting them in the post hehe. i agree over the local paper, i saw sum ppl advertising in there for really cheap and i just think like u they have no business or they are no good at them. im just worried i guess because of the beautician who is there already

xxx

The rental price sounds like a bargain to me, if it feels right to you I'd say go for it.Just make sure there are no hidden extras you'll be expected to pay and how long this price stands.
I don't agree with the statment, that advertising in the local paper makes one look desperate for business.
I agree that word of mouth is allways the best advert but I have advertised in our local paper many times and have a lot bookings from those adverts.
It all about how you word your advertisment and how ''cheap'' you make your business look/sound...or not :wink2:.
Good luck.
:hug:

hey

thanks for the reply. well iv been doing this for just over six months but have not been able to do the course because of costs so im really good at them now, i might try that with the business cards, i was going to put some flyers out too but i dont know if ppl would apreciate me putting them in the post hehe. i agree over the local paper, i saw sum ppl advertising in there for really cheap and i just think like u they have no business or they are no good at them. im just worried i guess because of the beautician who is there already

xxx

If you are going to leaflet, then ONLY do it on a Sunday or Bank holiday when there is no other post going through their letter boxes. This is what Slimming World do! x

Why don't you speak to the beautician in the salon and see how large her nail business is? Most really good beauticians don't do many nails and most really good nail technicians don't do beauty other than small services ... I know I would have never had a minute to do beauty as I was fully booked with nails which is what I was known for and where my passion lay.

It is only smart as well, to find out how the beautician feels bout your coming into the salon. For all you know she may be hoping like crazy you take the offer as she may hate dong nails or mani's or pedis (which by the way is another thing you need to establish who is going to do them you or the beautician?) all these points (and many more) need to be clear before you make a decision to start.

At an offer of 30.00 a week I'd bite her hand off if everything else is good (is it a good and busy salon? Is parking easy? etc etc). Make sure she agrees to keep the rent at that price for at least a year (or 2 if you can get her to agree).

£30 seems an absolute bargain to me. one place wanted either 25% or £75 a week for 3 days!!

With relation to the other nail technician you say she is doing gel, therefore with you doing L&P and fiberglass you shouldn't have any problem with getting clients. In my experience of having my nails done for 16yrs and having my own clients L&P is slightly more popular.

Go for it and good luck!!!!

£30 seems an absolute bargain to me. one place wanted either 25% or £75 a week for 3 days!!

With relation to the other nail technician you say she is doing gel, therefore with you doing L&P and fiberglass you shouldn't have any problem with getting clients. In my experience of having my nails done for 16yrs and having my own clients L&P is slightly more popular.

Go for it and good luck!!!!

I think it very much depends on the girl doing the gel nails and just what she has said re L&P or wraps to her clients.

In my experience, many who only do gel nails try and 'sell' their services to clients by bad mouthing other systems such as L&P saying it is dangerous and that gel is better, safer, bla bla the usual. They brainwash clients and give them false information and this can prejudice prospective clients for those doing other systems. Best to check by talking to the beautician ... I wouldn't think of going into this salon without a meeting of all concerned and get these issues out on the table. Otherwise you are going to be fighting for business and all sorts of things are going to be said as one system vs another .. could be a nightmare situation. Believe me I've seen it before.

:wink2::wink2:hey

thanks so much for your points I think all of you have made good ones so il be asking loads of questions when i go. The salon is in view of a really busy main road over a car park to a pub. there is laods of parking and is a really clean tidy place, the prices are at at a good rate for all the services they provide beauty and hair. I dont mind if the price goes up for the rent as long as Im doing well and have an average a week income if she only wants £30 for me to start i cant see her making it too high for me to, but u never know. This includes 6 day a week access to the place to...just hope my face fits with the other beautician but im easy going and could understand her being a bit vexed, but im not planning on taking her customers i plan on getting my own.

thanks tho guys your all really nice :)

oh i need some good polishes on a budget how many do u think i will need and how much a bottle. xxxxx

hi it sounds like a really good deal but i noticed you are only starting your course next week, i'd be carefull not to commit to anything untill you've got going and know how confident you feel and i wish you loads of luck x

hi sorry i never mentioned it lol...iv been doing nails for over six months now so im really confident and get good feedback. so i have no concerns about starting up..i just cant wait to do it xxx

in that case its well worth looking at hope it goes well

Latest posts

Back