Grrr! Clients not committing to correct aftercare.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gawjus36

Reaction score
Hi Geeks.
I have had a number of clients recently who have clearly not been using their solar oil as advised. As a result their nails are becoming dehydrated and the client's are then disappointed with the service. I have tried to make them understand that the aftercare is their responsibility and that if they want to keep their nails looking beautiful they must be committed to using Solar Oil on a daily basis. I have had some ladies tell me that they are going to give their nails a break from Shellac now and so I'm wondering, how do you educate your clients without sounding like you are preaching?

Hope you can help xxx

I know what you mean. I am feeling with one of my ladies she will want to give her nails a break. But I keep telling her every time i see her in the hair salon aswell.

Some clients just don't listen! X

I preach.

Lord knows I preach. I tell them that if they do not use their cuticle oil and treat their nails like garbage, then they are not only wasting money, but I won't be continuing to do their nails. Why do I say that? Because I don't want them going around saying "Shellac ruined my nails. I had it done by _____."

Yes I have the same! Some of my ladies are saying they oil but some of their nails have white spots on their nails that are quite bad! I keep telling them they must oil everyday 2 & 3 times if need be.
I am now saying that every so often a Spa Manicure should be done, removing the Shellac, they leave their nails bare so they can get their Solar Oil & creams into their naked nails, then come back in 2 weeks then have Shellac as normal. All my clients are fine with this & we see this as a nice boost and TLC to their nails 😊

I preach.

Lord knows I preach. I tell them that if they do not use their cuticle oil and treat their nails like garbage, then they are not only wasting money, but I won't be continuing to do their nails. Why do I say that? Because I don't want them going around saying "Shellac ruined my nails. I had it done by _____."

I'm totaly with you one this one. I preach as well. I make it perfectly clear what will happen if they do not use thier Solar Oil at least twice a day, that it will be "thier fault", not mine and that I will refuse to continue treating them as it will be wasting thier money and my time.

Funnily enough, I dont have a problem with clients following the aftercare I give them :lol:.

Sam xxx

It is no different no matter what you wear on your nails continually ... Be it polish, gels, Shellac etc. continual wear of anything will cause nails to become slightly dehydrated if clients don't replace moisture loss with more moisture! It's not that difficult and a bit of dehydration is not the end of the world either. They are seeing nails straight after removal and making false assumptions. Give those nails a day to rehydrate and the would look perfectly normal.

I too preach and I tell them that if they were to colour/perm their hair they wouldn't dream of not putting conditioner on it and I wait for them to agree then I tell them that SolarOil is the conditioner for nails and then I tell them all the benefits of SolarOil.

When they return I can always tell if they have been using it and if they haven't I ask them why and remind them that it is part of their Shellac service to keep their nails in tip top condition.

I don't have any one that doesn't use it regularly now, and if they forget once or twice they feel guilty!! lol

It is no different no matter what you wear on your nails continually ... Be it polish, gels, Shellac etc. continual wear of anything will cause nails to become slightly dehydrated if clients don't replace moisture loss with more moisture! It's not that difficult and a bit of dehydration is not the end of the world either. They are seeing nails straight after removal and making false assumptions. Give those nails a day to rehydrate and the would look perfectly normal.

So true Geeg!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Whenever a client says how nice my nails are, I always respond with "That's because I use Solar Oil 3 times a day!" That has encouraged some of them.

Well I'm not sure what more I can do. I give the advice to all new clients, I go into the benefits, the ingredients and the consequences if not used. They get a free pinky on their first appointment and I check with them on every appointment whether they need any more. I have even, as of yesterday, added a paragraph onto my client consultation card so that they have to sign to say they have received and understood the aftercare.

So when a client says - 'I want to let my nails breathe for a while' - how should I respond? I want to appear confident and knowledgable, I don't want to sound like I am just after keeping their business. And, as has already been previously mentioned, I really don't want people declaring that Shellac damaged their nails and the had it done by ...........:sad:

Would it be an idea to do a Spa Manicure every 5th or 6th appointment? Like a treatment plan?

Thank you all for your input so far xxx

I hate it when a client tells me they want to let their nails "breathe." I tell them their nails don't have lungs so there's no need for them to breathe and the reason their nails look like a hot mess is because they're not doing what they're supposed to.

I have a laminated picture I keep at my desk. It's actually a side by side comparison of a hydrated nail and a nail that has the tale-tale white spots of a dehydrated nail. I tell my clients this is how their nails will look when they use their Solar Oil and when they don't. And this is also how I know if they are lying to me.

Well I'm not sure what more I can do. I give the advice to all new clients, I go into the benefits, the ingredients and the consequences if not used. They get a free pinky on their first appointment and I check with them on every appointment whether they need any more. I have even, as of yesterday, added a paragraph onto my client consultation card so that they have to sign to say they have received and understood the aftercare.

So when a client says - 'I want to let my nails breathe for a while' - how should I respond? I want to appear confident and knowledgable, I don't want to sound like I am just after keeping their business. And, as has already been previously mentioned, I really don't want people declaring that Shellac damaged their nails and the had it done by ...........:sad:

Would it be an idea to do a Spa Manicure every 5th or 6th appointment? Like a treatment plan?

Thank you all for your input so far xxx
I suppose it's up to you? But I'm now doing a almond spa every now and then, speak to your ladies about how they would feel about doing the treatment now and then? My clients are fine about it, they all think it's a good idea 😊

I hate it when a client tells me they want to let their nails "breathe." I tell them their nails don't have lungs so there's no need for them to breathe and the reason their nails look like a hot mess is because they're not doing what they're supposed to.

I have a laminated picture I keep at my desk. It's actually a side by side comparison of a hydrated nail and a nail that has the tale-tale white spots of a dehydrated nail. I tell my clients this is how their nails will look when they use their Solar Oil and when they don't. And this is also how I know if they are lying to me.

Hi gr8nailz, would you be kind enough to send me a link of the laminated picture. This could be the solution as they say, seeing is believing. Thanks

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

I love it when you say something is a hot mess haha. X

I too, would love a slice of your laminated nail pie! x

I too preach and I tell them that if they were to colour/perm their hair they wouldn't dream of not putting conditioner on it and I wait for them to agree then I tell them that SolarOil is the conditioner for nails and then I tell them all the benefits of SolarOil.
l

My first post after starting doing nails again!:D
(I´m swedish and my english is not so good)

I always give short examples to them while doing the service,like:
1.They can´t keep their complexion looking their best if they would only wash it in the shower with shower gel between appointments with their skin care pro.They usually agree,lol!

2.Their hair will not look salon fresh if they wash it with dishwashing liquid between visits to their hairdresser.Most know this too:wink2:

3.Thus,they need to commit to using good products and treat their nail enhancements as an investment...and I will in my turn commit to my job of trying my best for her to have beautiful nails(and hands)everyday!

xoxo Emma

1.They can´t keep their complexion looking their best if they would only wash it in the shower with shower gel between appointments with their skin care pro.They usually agree,lol!

2.Their hair will not look salon fresh if they wash it with dishwashing liquid between visits to their hairdresser.Most know this too:wink2:

3.Thus,they need to commit to using good products and treat their nail enhancements as an investment...and I will in my turn commit to my job of trying my best for her to have beautiful nails(and hands)everyday!

xoxo Emma

Thanks for that. Great advice and your English is flawless :hug:
Welcome to salon geek. Maybe you know my friend Anette Claesson?

Last edited:

xoxo Emma

Perfect example and perfect english. Welcome to Salongeek!
I always explain to my clients if they do not use moisturizer on their skin, it will flake and dry, their nails need the same care to prevent peeling and flakes. Most do follow the rules after having an easy to understand reason to use the product.

Perfect example and perfect english. Welcome to Salongeek!
I always explain to my clients if they do not use moisturizer on their skin, it will flake and dry, their nails need the same care to prevent peeling and flakes. Most do follow the rules after having an easy to understand reason to use the product.

The golden rule of selling ...... Tell the client "what's in it for them" if they use it.

I don't buy anything unless I'm told WHY I should. :D

Thanks for that. Great advice and your English is flawless :hug:
Welcome to salon geek. Maybe you know my friend Anette Claesson?

Thank you so much...*mwah*

Well EVERY nail tech here knows her name!:D
Haven´t spoke to her in person,but seen her many times at contest/trade shows+was a subscriber to "Naglar i Norden"("Nails in the North")

If you speak to her,give my best regards and many compliments for her edu-articles&fab magazine!

Latest posts

Back