Guyliner And Manscara. What Do You Think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guyliner & Manscara. What do you think?

• Noooooo! It's just sooo wrong!

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • Not fussed. Does not bother me whether they do or don't.

Votes: 22 23.2%
  • it's great! If woman can do it then men can too.

Votes: 24 25.3%
  • Not something I would prefer myself but don't mind if they do.

Votes: 16 16.8%

• Total voters

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
The news has just had a snippet on a high street shop launching eye liner and mascara for men.

Men wear jewellery, have their ears pierced etc....... Would you be happy if your bloke/brother/son came home wearing eye make-up?

The poll is private so be honest and please feel free to comment.

Last edited:
I like men to be men - makeup is a little too much for me. Facials, manicures, moisturing etc, not a problem - makeup, no.

Mind you, if I met a man who wanted to go out and wore makeup, I'd probably say yes, but it seems a little too weird for my liking (unless they require it for work - ie, actor).

I like men to be men - makeup is a little too much for me. Facials, manicures, moisturing etc, not a problem - makeup, no.

Mind you, if I met a man who wanted to go out and wore makeup, I'd probably say yes, but it seems a little too weird for my liking (unless they require it for work - ie, actor).

You took the words out of my mouth,if my husband or son were to i'd be mortified,anyone else and i wouldn't bat an eyelid

I've worn mascara & eyeliner on & off for years. I don't really see the problem with it, the whole men & make-up thing is a Victorian hang-over when such things were the Devil's work (well the fallen angels did teach man about cosmetics!). Men on tv wear make-up all the time, even on the news, and no-one generally notices. As for the 'men being men' issue, perhaps a trip into images of masculinity in the past is in order - Egyptian men wore eye make-up, as did Roman men & then we have the powdered wigs & make-up worn by men in the 18th century.

I've worn mascara & eyeliner on & off for years. I don't really see the problem with it, the whole men & make-up thing is a Victorian hang-over when such things were the Devil's work (well the fallen angels did teach man about cosmetics!). Men on tv wear make-up all the time, even on the news, and no-one generally notices. As for the 'men being men' issue, perhaps a trip into images of masculinity in the past is in order - Egyptian men wore eye make-up, as did Roman men & then we have the powdered wigs & make-up worn by men in the 18th century.

You feel strongly :wink2:

Men being men,well i suppose that's open to interpretation. My husband is a joiner,and ex rugby player i'm used to him looking rough and dirty and butch,and that's how i like him,he's the bread winner,a bit caveman like too i guess lol.

I feel there are no real defined roles anymore,feminie ladies and masculine men for me :D

It's not that I particularly feel strongly about it - I just have issues with the idea of conforming to stereotypes about what one should dress & act like depending on age, sex & so forth! It's probably the folkie in me - I'm just not a mainstream sort of person!

Back to the subject though, the idea of masculinity & femininity is a very transient & fluid definition and changes throughout time and place. We have ancient Greek & Roman men who were undoubtedly physically able, but saw no problem with a bit of eye make-up! Our ideas of what a man & woman should be like are comparatively new, in fact they were mostly defined in the Victorian era.

I have no problem with people liking certain types of men & women, just with the assumption that what defines masculinity & femininity is universal. Personally, I'd like to think gender 'roles' (if we really have to have such) were defined on more than issues of cosmetic appearance anyway!

Perhaps someone ought to start a "women wearing trousers & working - what do you think?!" thread in comparison!

It's not that I particularly feel strongly about it - I just have issues with the idea of conforming to stereotypes about what one should dress & act like depending on age, sex & so forth! It's probably the folkie in me - I'm just not a mainstream sort of person!

Back to the subject though, the idea of masculinity & femininity is a very transient & fluid definition and changes throughout time and place. We have ancient Greek & Roman men who were undoubtedly physically able, but saw no problem with a bit of eye make-up! Our ideas of what a man & woman should be like are comparatively new, in fact they were mostly defined in the Victorian era.

I have no problem with people liking certain types of men & women, just with the assumption that what defines masculinity & femininity is universal. Personally, I'd like to think gender 'roles' (if we really have to have such) were defined on more than issues of cosmetic appearance anyway!

Perhaps someone ought to start a "women wearing trousers & working - what do you think?!" thread in comparison!
This thread and poll was certainly in no way intended to offend or upset anyone. I saw this being discussed on the news and two guys were interviewed giving their opinions.

As I am very interested in the make-up industry I find a poll and peeps thoughts on this actually helpful with regard to trends etc......

May I add that whilst male news readers , TV presenters, models and actors do wear make-up under harsh lighting, the thread is with regard to it being done on a daily basis outside of work.

Bring it on! Jean-Paul Gaultier launched a range of guys makeup and age back, seems popular enough with those who want it.

As an occasional drag queen (not done it in too long) I'm partial to a bit of makeup shopping! Get some great looks at the makeup counters in Boots! LOL!!

This thread and poll was certainly in no way intended to offend or upset anyone. I saw this being discussed on the news and two guys were interviewed giving their opinions.

As I am very interested in the make-up industry I find a poll and peeps thoughts on this actually helpful with regard to trends etc......

May I add that whilst male news readers , TV presenters, models and actors do wear make-up under harsh lighting, the thread is with regard to it being done on a daily basis outside of work.

Aw Tracey,no one should be upset by a discussion,we are each entitled to our opinions,the world would be boring as hell if we were all the same,thanks for starting this thread,it's down to the contributors to keep it adult and respectful ,not you hun :hug:

I just hope that they don't charge too much of a premium for it being "men's" make-up. It would be interesting to see how the range of colours and the presentation of the product differs from "women's" make-up.

I'd imagine that brands like MAC would probably already cater to both men and women; the MAC brand already has an excellent reputation for professional use, and I seem to remember they've used male models in their advertising in the past too. The way that MAC is packaged is suitably minimalist enough to appeal to the male market too.

Regarding price, oftentimes the men's equivalent is cheaper in price & often multi-functional due to the nature of the intended market. In Jessica's men's range for example the men's products includes a single cuticle/nail product in place of using phenomen oil & nourish. Likewise the Decleor men's range includes a facial wash & scrub in one at a very affordable price. It will be interesting to see if this transfers to make-up as well.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder....we all have personal preferences and mine.....is yep men look nice with eyeliner and makeup(lead singer from the killers) and (green day).........but not any guy i could fancy.................just like a guy might like a girl with short hair or long hair....no makeup or makeup
if there is a market for it...why not........men wearing makeup doesnt bother me.....unless i am waking up next to them...lol i would rather a man i was with or was dating dyed his eyelashes..and didnt tell me than admit he wore mascara:lol::lol:
(please take this in the humour it is intended)
the thread is asking about our opinions on BOYFRIENDS/OTHER HALFS/sons
so it isnt slating ANY MAN who wears makeup/..........just ours :lol:

Hi
To be honest, I can take it or leave it but guys getting in touch with their feminine side aint a bad thing. It brings to mind my 6ft 5 he-man son and his mate queueing in the kitchen for me to put their eyeliner on for a nite out. Think I realised then just how things have changed and how comfortable the young are in expressing themselves.

I wouldn't like my husband to wear it and I know he wouldn't want to............but every man to his own:)

I couldnt give two hoots, just as I'm sure my husband doesnt care whether I wear make up or not.

In the social circles that I mix in, most of the men wear more make up than the women and it's just not an issue, that's one of the reasons I really like the goth/alternative scene, people can wear what they want to wear without worrying if other people will find it acceptable.

I'm very surprised to see in this poll that so many people dislike the idea of men wearing make-up, and I dare say that we have a few hypocrites on this site!! I know the poll's confidential, however think of this: Did you answer "no way" to the poll? If so, how would you feel if your fella said "no way" to the prospect of you NOT wearing make up and said he wouldnt find you attractive without it. Also consider this: Do you think its whats on the outside that matters, or the person within? If a fella who is close to you chose to wear make up, would it matter? Would it change that person as far as you are concerned??

beauty is in the eye of the beholder....we all have personal preferences and mine.....is yep men look nice with eyeliner and makeup(lead singer from the killers) and (green day).........but not any guy i could fancy.................just like a guy might like a girl with short hair or long hair....no makeup or makeup
if there is a market for it...why not........men wearing makeup doesnt bother me.....unless i am waking up next to them...lol i would rather a man i was with or was dating dyed his eyelashes..and didnt tell me than admit he wore mascara:lol::lol:
(please take this in the humour it is intended)
the thread is asking about our opinions on BOYFRIENDS/OTHER HALFS/sons
so it isnt slating ANY MAN who wears makeup/..........just ours :lol:
And all good humour is apreciated. This thread also refers to males with male otherhalves, brothers of males and fathers with sons.

Last edited:

Of course over thousands of years ideas of masculinity (and the latest fashion) are going to change. What was attractive back then most certainly isn't now to a lot of people. As I said, this is my opinion of how I like my man to look, or in this case, not to look.

I look at pictures as mentioned above and don't find those looks attractive. It'd be a turn-off for me. Just like the fact that I have short hair. There are men who say they don't like women with short hair. I don't remind them that it was the fashion in the 20s or women in various tribes in Africa shave their heads.

Everyone has their preference as to how they prefer their partner to look, or not look.

I couldnt give two hoots, just as I'm sure my husband doesnt care whether I wear make up or not.

In the social circles that I mix in, most of the men wear more make up than the women and it's just not an issue, that's one of the reasons I really like the goth/alternative scene, people can wear what they want to wear without worrying if other people will find it acceptable.

I'm very surprised to see in this poll that so many people dislike the idea of men wearing make-up, and I dare say that we have a few hypocrites on this site!! I know the poll's confidential, however think of this: Did you answer "no way" to the poll? If so, how would you feel if your fella said "no way" to the prospect of you NOT wearing make up and said he wouldnt find you attractive without it. Also consider this: Do you think its whats on the outside that matters, or the person within? If a fella who is close to you chose to wear make up, would it matter? Would it change that person as far as you are concerned??
i think the poll is about "OUR" own personal preference ...no one is debating about beauty being skin deep and whats important on the inside........i thought it was about WHAT WE PREFER.......OURSELVES, our own opinion....i dont think any one is being hypocritical if their personal preference isnt everyone elses.......
if its about saying that men should find women attractive without makeup and it wouldnt be nice if they said they found their partners more attractive with makeup...then i agree......i like my men au naturel......then...without makeup

The poll asked about "your" fella /brother son. I voted and then gave my opinion in regards to the men in MY life.Often peeps vote on polls and don't comment,is that what you are refering to as hypocrytical ?

To answer your question, of course it's the person within,however initally my attraction to my husband was based on appearance.If he said he didn't find me attractive without makeup,i would totally agree,would i be offended ?? not in the slightest,it's extremely important to find one another attractive.

And allthough imo it's getting a bit far fetched,if my son were to wear make up,i wouldn't love him any less :rolleyes: Does that mean i have to agree with it or like it ,no i certainly don't think it does.

What other people do i couldn't care less,we should all be free to express ourselves as we choose,but i have in this thread answered solely on how i would feel if it were my family as asked by the thread starter

Let's not get over heated geeks,were talking make up here and our personal preferences,in the grand scheme of things it's neither important nor worth raising the blood pressure for :D :D :D

Of course over thousands of years ideas of masculinity (and the latest fashion) are going to change. What was attractive back then most certainly isn't now to a lot of people. As I said, this is my opinion of how I like my man to look, or in this case, not to look.

I look at pictures as mentioned above and don't find those looks attractive. It'd be a turn-off for me. Just like the fact that I have short hair. There are men who say they don't like women with short hair. I don't remind them that it was the fashion in the 20s or women in various tribes in Africa shave their heads.

Everyone has their preference as to how they prefer their partner to look, or not look.

I agree entirely - it wasn't what people find attractive that I had any issue with, it was with the assumption that wearing make-up was not 'manly' that I disagreed. It's the whole notion that "being a man" & masculinity precludes the wearing of make-up that I have a problem ; in the same way that I don't think a woman has to wear make-up to be feminine.

Latest posts

Back