client complaint email what do you think?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RubyLou

Reaction score
Hi i had a client call me last friday wanting a facial for the following day on saturday, she wanted the afternoon so i booked her in for 2.45pm 15mins consultation and 1 hour face treatment as the salon closes at 4pm.
When she arrived at the salon i sensed that something wasnt quite right because she said she came from an area that allready had loads of salons and i havent even advertised in that town so how she found out was beyond me as ive only down local leaflet drops in the village where i am. As soon as she came she wanted to use the toilet which is right at the back of the salon even though she came from home which i felt was her being nosy.
The filled the dermalogica consultation card in really quickly and understood the terminology such as breakouts which is what most new clients tend to ask me about ot take longer to fill out to ensure info is accurate. Once i did the consultation is didnt really give me much info to go on and i asked her to remove jewellery however she kept her rings,watch and braclet on.
When it came to removing her make-up she had so much on which made me think shes a therapist herself as beneath the make-up her skin looked good like it had been profesionally applied and most client wouldnt wear loads of makeup has they know its going to only be removed during the treatment.
Underneath however her skin wasnt too good she had thread veins, sensitised cheeps, tighht pores and breakouts on her forehead and neck area. I also recognized a scar underneath her neck which she said sometimes she squeezes and wanted me to extract but i didnt think it was approriate to do so as there wasnt any comodone in that area it was a scar that had a dent in it so i didnt want her to come back and acuse me for her suposedly bAD extraction technique.
I didnt use a steamer during the treatment as her skn was very dry and her cheeks we're allready sensitised so i didnt want to make them worse and geenerally once i get to know clients skin then i wuld use the steamer on the second treatment unless they wanted it.
As i thought my client was relaxed during te treatment whilst the mask was on i quietly filled in her prescription sheet and as she didnt remove her jewellery i didnt think she would of wanted a hand and arm massage. Also which i know i shouldnt of but because i was convinced she was a therapist i didnt want to give her that idea that i offer as an extra to my treatment, as she also asked me twice if i get busy at the salon as she knows i was the owner and only been open for four months.
She continued to ask me questions such has have i always worked with dermalogica products and seemed keen to ask information to gain answers.
theres a lady in the same village and next village from me who both do it from home one even posted a pricelist brouchure throgh all the houses including mine which i thought was abit on the desperate side and her prices we're deliberately undercutting mine and the facial was also £35 the same as i charge.
today checking my email i recieve an email from saturdays client saying she was disappointed with her facial treatment and didnt think it was worth the 35 pounds as she would of been better booking in for an indian head massage or back neck and shoulder massage which would of been more relaxing. She said that there was no proper facial massage which there was as i performed the dermalogica pressure point massage including neck and shoulders, and commented that she didnt recieve a scalp or hand/arm massage. Also the fact that no extractons was made but i couldnt of performed it on the scar tissue and the pores on her nose area seemed very tight there wasnt hardly anthing there to leave the scaling fluid on for 10 minutes.
She said that my salon was lovely and ideal that i have free car parking and sorry she didnt tell me then as she felt i wanted to get home. Which wasnt true as it was 4.10pm when she lefted when she came at 2.45pm so how she felt rushed i do not understand i cant help but felt upset by this even though im sure shes a spy and doing it to affect my confidence. its the first time a client has ever complained like this i attend regular dermalogica courses too everyone else comments on how they enjoyed it.
she never said anything to me at the end and even asked for teo pricelists for her people at work so how an earth shes come up with this email amazes me, but im going to have to reply back what do you all think about this?
i dont feel i should offer some discount to her do you?
thankyou for reading this

i'd probably write back and say that although you are sorry she is dissapointed that you can assure her that as you take regular update training you know that you have followed correct procedure and that treatments will vary slightly from one salon to another.

Don't offer her a discount. I would reply to her along the lines of

"Dear Miss/Mrs ....

Thank you for your feedback. I have many happy customers come through the doors of my salon and it saddened me to hear that you were disappointed with your treatment. Every therapist has a way of performing facial treatments and my products and training are to the highest standard.

My facials are 1 hour long with an initial 15 minute consultation at the first appointment and the price is £35. Exact treatments are prescriptive and may therefore differ from client to client. Comedone extraction with steaming for example cannot be performed on sensitive skins, over scars or on tight pores. Should you wish to continue these treatments you will notice a significant improvement to your skin.

If you would prefer a massage at your next appointment I would be very happy to book you in for one. Otherwise I hope you find a therapist who is more suited to your requirements.

Best wishes,"

Last edited:
Angel fingers beat me to that one !!! :lol:

Hi rubylou,
this sounds really really unfair, you a simply trying to make a decent living doing what you love and I'm convinced that your standard of work is up to scratch. Do you have other colleagues in the salon, what do they think, I hope this is not a bullying tactic t oust you. Keep strong always remember we are here to support and help as much as we can. Now.. the question is how is this going to be solved? I think you should carry on as you are, try to get clients from surrounding areas. If this person continues to complain about treatments, make note of it and when you have enough evidence, you can make a complaint yourself or have a chat with her and find out why she is making continuing complaints. I really hope this is helpful, here's sending you a big hug :hug::hug:

awww thankyou so much for you letter example ive been sat here for an hour and come up with nothing im just so hurt that all my efforts for her treatment wasnt apreciated but that letter is everything i wanted to put into words i will send it by recorded delivery tomorrow to her.
Just before i read your post she phoned me a few minutes ago asking if i have read her email i said no because she only sent it today and she Tried to catch me off guard, she knows im at the salon today so why shes asking if ive read it i dont know, she also said she will send the email by post which is unecessary cos she sent me an email and told me over the phone too that she was dissapointed with the treatment that no extraction or scalp massage was performed. Also cheekily asked if she could have a refund? i said no refunds are given on treatments as i dedicated a full 1 hour 15mins to her well she then said if she could have money off an indian head massage when i suggested if she wanted a scalp massage i only offer it has an indian head massage treatment.
I think if it was a client A) they wouldnt want to come back & B) they wouldnt send an email of complaint to the manager,phonecall and now an letter by post. i think cos she knows im in my 20's and shes 60 shes trying to see if i deal with it nievely as shes threatened that i have free car parking and have alot to offer clients in my treatment brouchures.
i really dont want her to come back for an indian head massage either as i feel shes gonna to see how i perform the treatment and pick up on movements that i use throughout the treatment but she suggested for a discount to be given and my mum suggested i do 20% i just said i'll see based on your letter but dont feel she deserves it. y would you even want to come back if you didnt like your first treatment there in the first place thats what im finding hard to understand.
so spiteful people in this world if there are other therapist if my area i just think good luck to them theres enough people for them to choose where they would like to go home or salon

pushing her luck i think just to get a discount.

yeah so do i because in her email she said there was no extractions but how does she know the proper name for extractions if you wanting comdones removed you've say blackheads.
when i said to her that with dermalogica we perform a pressure point massage not a european style one she said she knew but how does she know what a european style massage is?
im so convinced shes a therapist herself but with regard to the indian head massage discount she wanted i cant believe how cheeky shes being about it he even asked if i had a laptop to read her email what was the urgency she sent it today and phoned me too and theres a letter on its way too.

Don't offer her a discount. I would reply to her along the lines of

"Dear Miss/Mrs ....

Thank you for your feedback. I have many happy customers come through the doors of my salon and it saddened me to hear that you were disappointed with your treatment. Every therapist has a way of performing facial treatments and my products and training are to the highest standard.

My facials are 1 hour long with an initial 15 minute consultation at the first appointment and the price is £35. Exact treatments are prescriptive and may therefore differ from client to client. Comedone extraction with steaming for example cannot be performed on sensitive skins, over scars or on tight pores. Should you wish to continue these treatments you will notice a significant improvement to you skin.

If you would prefer a massage at your next appointment I would be very happy to book you in for one. Otherwise I hope you find a therapist who is more suited to your requirements.

Best wishes,"

This reply is excellent, and i would suggest sending this back to her both by email and post as she has done to you. What do other geeks think?

I would not offer a discount as it sounds as if you did nothing wrong. If she was genuinely not happy with your treatment why would she want to come back for another?:confused:

She is just trying to pull a fast one over you I think! Flaming cheek!

I bet she has worked her way around every salon in her area and been banned from them all for trying the same trick!

The example letter from Weezie is fab!

Hi She could be checking out competition or she could just be a client that has a lot of treatments. I tend to explain why I do and do not do things in my facials, perhaps you could have explained a bit more in depth about the routine you had devised for her.

I would not give her a discount as it sounds like you did everything right. Some clients do try it on and knock your confidence. I would be polite and reply like some have already suggested. I personally do not try to win these clients back as they can be so difficult and end up being morale breakers.

Hey Chick,
Have to say when i read your first post i thought that you should have asked her to remove her rings and bracelet by explaining that if she she did not you couldn't perform a hand/arm massage regardless of whether you thought her a spy or operating in your area or not. I'm sure that your treatment and technique is excellent, so it would have been far better to scare her with your ability.

That said having read your second post she's now acting like a crazy person :eek: an email, a phone call and a letter in 24hrs ? Who'a ! She'll be in to see you next :irked:

I think weezie's letter hits all the right notes, sympathetic but professional and non commital. Don't feel intimidated into giving her a discount if you feel that's what she's angling for and if she said nothing at the time of her appoinment.

Also don't be drawn into sending letters by recorded delivery as i feel that might set her off more as it validates her behaviour ie. she has hounded you into dancing to her tune. Don't allow it, reply via e-mail as that was her initial form of communication.

If you want to avoid her giving you negative word of mouth then offer her a complimentary treatment with her next booking as a "goodwill gesture". That way you get another booking, her behaviour isn't rewarded and she doesn't get to win by getting the cash value discount she's after because what she got was a "complimentary treatment" not a "discount" :wink2:

Keep us posted xx

I think she is pushing her luck with the discount scenario and checking you out as you say her make-up looked professionally applied regardless of whether she is or you thought her a spy or operating in your area or not.

Although you should have asked her to remove her rings and bracelet and explaining that if she she did not then you couldn't perform a hand/arm massage if she wanted one but as she didn't then you were within right that you couldn't,your treatment and technique is excellent and you did it as trained .I have trained in dermalogica but i don't use the products in my homebase salon.

However having read your second post she's now acting like some crazy person:eek: with the email,phonecall and letter in 24 hours..woah! she'll be ringing non stop asking to see you next.

Weezie's letter does hit all the right notes, sympathetic but professional and non commital asked. Don't feel intimidated into giving her a discount if you feel that's what she's angling for that sounds a bit cheeky to me and if she said nothing at the time of her appoinment. I agree also by not drawning yourself into sending letters by recorded delivery as that might set her off more and validates her behaviour for example hounding you into dancing to her tune. Don't allow it, just reply via E-mail as that was the initial form of communication.

On avoiding her giving you negative word of mouth ,offer her a complimentary treatment with her next booking as a sort of goodwill gesture she'll mellow to you,her behaviour isn't rewarded and you get another booking, and she doesn't get to win by getting the discount she's after because what she got was a complimentary treatment and not a discount.

The talent of success is nothing more than doing what you can do, well.

Last edited:
some good replies here thankyou everyone i will take your advices all on board, it is disheartening when you feel you gave the treatment your best, she didnt even give me time to read the email straight away followed the phonecall and tomorrow im expecting her letter. I really don't want her to come back if shes going to be like this, because im sure she'd complain about the massage too. In away im glad i didnt perform the extractions because if i did she would of said that i scared her when that scar was allready there.
Another thing that made me think shes a therapist was that she didnt sign the dermalogica card hoping i wouldnt notice but i did say can i please get you to sign the dermalogica consultation card.
Shes now expecting some sort of discount in my letter back so you feel that i should give her a complimentary treatment if she books in for a full one instead.
You see a part of me feels that its a posibility to do that but another part of me feels that because shes a spy she'll only watch the way i do things and use them to her advantage like indian head massage movements. I didnt even want to trust her in the room with her bag because she took an alwful long time just to put her top back on. just makes me so angry when i think of it

I wouldnt do additional treatment for her at all.

I would do what you would normally do with her next treatment - i.e. hand/arm massage or scalp massage whilst the facial mask is on and that is it.

I really do feel she is either trained herself or she has done the rounds with all her local salons so dont let her get the better of you.

yeah if shes takes her jewellery off then i can do hand/arm massage whilst mask is on but i can see her saying can i have a scalp one instead of hand/arm massage.

I would not entertain this lady at all let alone give her a complimentary treatment. I feel clients like this are just not worth the stress. If you feel angry just thinking about her - there is no way you can perform a satisfactory treatment any way. Forget her and move on to others more appreciative. :)

yeah if shes takes her jewellery off then i can do hand/arm massage whilst mask is on but i can see her saying can i have a scalp one instead of hand/arm massage.

Then tell her the hand/arm massage is the complimentary one and dont mention a scalp massage at all, do you think she will want another treatment?

well personally if it was me and i didnt enjoy a treatment at a salon i certainly wouldnt bother complaining to the owner about the owner i just would not go back there again, so i cant understand why she mentioned a discount on an indian head massage which she isnt getting anyway.
I have wrote her the letter based on the brilliant example that was provided which im so grateful for thankyou again
I was going to send it by post but in actual fact shes given me a false address and no postcode so i've sent it by email like she intially did to me.
ill keep you posted if i hear anything else from her hopefully this will be the end on it as i dont need clients like her in my salon

Latest posts

Back