Hair | Do The Stereotypes Make Your Hair Bristle?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
Let's be honest, there are a million stereotypes that people who work in the beauty industry deal with day to day. I can only hope the fact that the beauty sector is one of the most successful industries in the country, and much of the world, and one of the few growing exponentially during these times has forced some of those beauty bullies into recognising that maybe, just maybe, we're not all as dumb as they'd like people to think.

However, there is one stereotype that does remain and try as you like, it stands strong. It's silly really; it doesn't make any sense to pigeon hole people on the basis of their hair colour but the stereotype of what blondes are like, and so on and so forth, is so ingrained into our thinking that we don't even get offended any more. If I hear one more fair haired woman say, "Sorry! I'm having a blonde moment!" I think I'm going to scream. Let's move on, right?

At the risk of going ga-ga over Gaga this week, even she's weighed in on it and, for an outspoken woman who appears to spend her life defying all the rules and expectations, has surprisingly played into the stereotype on Twitter. Having left the blonde behind, Gaga has opted for what she calls a "Louis Vuitton brown" and said, "Definitely feeling less blonde lately and a little more progressive brunette."

Is she implying that if us blondes remain blonde we are not progressive? That we are somehow undermining ourselves? Perhaps inviting people to see us in a slightly negative light?

What I do know is that if I say something stupid (Never! Well, not often...) it's not because of the colour of my hair. It's mostly because I haven't put my brain in gear before my gob box and, to be honest, it didn't happen any less when I was a brunette.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• hair colour.jpg
    hair colour.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 616
I'm in 2 minds about this, (I am highlighted blonde to within an inch of my life). At times, I hate to be thought of as the dumb blonde beauty therapist, but at the same time, in certain situations I have used the dumb blonde scenario to escape some sticky situations. So technically, I'm a smart blonde, that uses my hair colour to my advantage, when it suits me :p I went through a phase of being burnette, and really DID have more fun as a blonde. So I am back to blonde (at great expense in hairdresser's fees).

Anyway, if you hate the dumb blonde jokes, dye your hair brown, and be a boring burnette :p (kidding)

You know what I blogged about this a while ago here because another woman made a comment about my hair colour and that people would not take me seriously in "this industry" because of it.

Now it takes a lot to move me into some negative zone but for a while there she got me, I was so confused and then furious :O

After sounding out about it I was shocked to find that it was actually a sterotype thing that is quite common, its shocking and to be honest, I think it shows that the people who have that frame of mind are actually not that educated at all ;)

I was born a blonde.
I suffered/endured blonde jokes for years.... so much so had to reply back "do you know why all blonde jokes are one-liners? So that men can understand them"

Once I started colouring my hair varying shades of red or auburn; things changed. Whether it was the hair, or a combo of the hair and my own maturing outlook on life.... who's to say.
Although, I am INCLINED to think it was people's perceptions of me.
Simply due to comments made and how people treated me.
As a blonde office employee.... I was spoken to as if I was a moron.
I changed hair and jobs and suddenly, I started rising up the ladder (well, busting my butt and working hard certainly didn't hinder me).

It could sometimes be heard "Don't mess with her".

BUT again, I still occasionally wonder was it really the hair, OR my own attitude that changed things? Did the colour stiffen my spine? Give me courage? OR was their perception of me really changed and THAT perception of me gave me courage? Hey, I wasn't hearing dumb jokes anymore.....

I am guilty as charged of saying "whoops, my blonde roots are showing again, time to redo my colour" LOL And also "it's the bleached blondes giving the rest of us a bad name, all those chemicals leaching into their brains" hahaha

We don't help ourselves nor our cause, do we?

We don't wish to be judged by our appearance, but we invite others to do so by doing the same thing ourselves.

Hmm what was the question again?
WHOOPS :lick:

At the end of the day we're in one of the only industries that is classed as NOT in a recession anymore. Thousands of industries and businesses are struggling and going pop due to the recession while we're the ones laughing all the way to the bank. Whos the stupid ones now eh? Blonde or not blonde!

I was blonde haired from around 14 to 24 years of age, worked in several offices (at one point with a team of 14 obnoxious male recruitment consultants). However I was never treated any differently from brunette ladies. Reason: I took no sh*t from any of them and if i'm honest i really don't think my hair colour made one shred of difference. I was a blonde secretary and before that a blonde travel agent. I was well educated, not a dimwit but liked to move around a lot to keep my mind active. From secretary to payroll i moved across to another department because they saw something in me. I went in to work at harvey nichs in their head office and had an unfortunate incident with some randy man outside my building whilst having a fag one morning at 11am. He enquired how much!! I told him to do one a little shocked and angry especially as i was wearing a suit in knightsbridge- i thought he was going to ask for directions to harrods as people often did. According to my late nan it was my blonde hair and faux fur collared coat that did it! Thanks nan!

When i had my son i went dark brunette and have remained so up until recently. I went dark as didnt have the time or money to take care of my blonde locks.

Now im back to work im doing all i can to go back to blonde.... next appt
only blonde highlights required... Woot!

I liked being brunette but blondes certainly have more fun!

I think the blonde moment comments are harmless, i dont truly believe that we're treated differently because of our hair colour, maybe we project ourselves in a different way. Years back whenever i split up with a fella id have a hair cut and new colour, why? Cos i took on a new strength and attitude.

Put it this way id rather someone say theyre having a blonde moment than someone saying im a little ocd!! Ocd is an illness, blonde hair is a choice ;)

Love n hugs x x x

I was blonde as a child, went mousy as an early teen, then miraculously (!) became a blonde again, and have remained so.

I had a brief spell as a red- head. I actually loved it, and think it suits my character well, but reverted back to blonde.

Can't really think my hair colour has held me back. In a former career I became a Headteacher, and was up against brunettes, male and female, for the post.

Have to say I've always had a soft spot for blond men, and married one!

Im bleach bonde, extension wearing natural gg cup boobs and a beautician.nail tech/hair extensionist. im aslo a bit fat and very very bubbly

I tick every stereo type box then eh? but I dont think if has ever hindered me. I use to my advantage, I wear like a cloak....

am i bubbly because Im fat or fat because im bubbly? sterotypes are for everyone else, not me. Im not interested in them.
I say blonde moment , i dont mean to be rude to an blonde, i think its just a saying really.

I too hide behind a blonde, cute and dinky exterior.

It's very useful.

Latest posts

Back