Hair extensionists help, please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodie4156

Reaction score
Ok so last Saturday u had some 20" micro ring extensions fitted (23/06/12) and since I've had them in I've had non stop itching and irritation from them!

I am wondering if there is some sort of chemical or something on the hair to cause a reaction on my skin as I've noticed I've been getting raised red bumps on my skin which are extremely itchy like a nat bite!

They have appeared on my back, ears, arms, neck, cheeks and boobs! Where the extension hair can touched my skin, they seem to come and go though and I've managed to take pictures of the bumps which il try to upload..

One thing I've noticed is that they appear when the hair has recently touched my skin but later disappear/calm down and re-appear somewhere else. (today I've been wearing a top and jacket outside so the hair has touched my chest and thats where the bumps are now and nowhere else, last night was hot so I slept without my pj top on and my back was covered in the itchy bumps!)

So I am wondering if any of you/your clients have experienced this and what can i do about it, I'm not sure whether to tell the woman who fitted my hair because I'm worried she will think I'm lying or it's nothing to do with her hair and not help me

Any advice is really appreciated and thanks for reading!!

xx

Hi any extensions can irritate your scalp when they are first in but you could be allergic to the micro rings metal etc did you have a skin test I normally with the rings when I d
Go do a consultation I put a few in the hair and see if it agrees with the client x

Thanks for replying, no I didn't have a skin test, she did mention there can be an 'itch' to the scalp while I adjust to them but it's been a whole week and it's got worse xx

Am i right in thinking that the itching is where the hair itself has actually touched your skin?

If that is the case it wouldnt seem to be an allergy to the rings, as where you are explaining the itching is taking place - cheeks etc then the rings themselves are nowhere near this area

Am i right in thinking that the itching is where the hair itself has actually touched your skin?

If that is the case it wouldnt seem to be an allergy to the rings, as where you are explaining the itching is taking place - cheeks etc then the rings themselves are nowhere near this area

Yes that's correct, although my scalp is itching too but that could be generally because of the micro rings being fitted as a lot of people experience the itching apparently, it's where the extension hair is touching me my skin turns out in bumps! Xx

Last edited:
Here is a picture of the reaction (sorry about it being on my boob! But as explained that's where the hair has touched today along the line of my top) x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1341072879.858671.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1341072879.858671.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 246
And it actually looks a lot worse and more red in real life, I also checked under and the sides of my boob and there are no bumps there at all x

It just sounds like an allergy to the hair, but have never come across this - unless their is animal hair mixed in! - Not saying this is the case but it seems you are having a reaction to 100% human hair

Seems so! I think il just let the woman know to see if she has had anything like this with any of her other clients and as a pre warning incase she does any time soon! How strange to have a reaction to "100% human double drawn hair"! x

how much did you pay if you dont mind me asking - is the hair very thick right to the ends?

Have you ever had a reaction to any chemicals or hair products before? x

£225 for it and she said it was her "superior" range double drawn thick root to tip and it is, but it doesn't seem a full 100% human hair, it doesn't feel silky anymore after the first wash is this normal?

Like when I've drove my car and leant back on the seat, once I get out the hair is all scraggy and Bunched up like a synthetic hair type would do, im constantly having to brush it flat and I'm forever paranoid that it looks like this in the day as my natural hair doesn't do this so you can clearly tell its extensions x

Last edited:
Have you ever had a reaction to any chemicals or hair products before? x

No nothing at all, I'm training to be a hairdresser and i'm using hair products and chemicals a lot and ever had any reactions at all x

This is what it looks like from the back x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1341084438.089463.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1341084438.089463.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 267
hi hun im not a hairdresser but have had hair extensions weaved for about 10 years and iv had the same reaction as you when the hair was highlighted or a certain colour, it may be a reaction to the dye or even the chemicals they use to keep the hair looking real, i also find that even if it says 100% human hair on the packet after a week it bunches up or goes frizzy at the ends was it half a head or full that you have?

hi hun im not a hairdresser but have had hair extensions weaved for about 10 years and iv had the same reaction as you when the hair was highlighted or a certain colour, it may be a reaction to the dye or even the chemicals they use to keep the hair looking real, i also find that even if it says 100% human hair on the packet after a week it bunches up or goes frizzy at the ends was it half a head or full that you have?

I've had a full head put in there is quite a lot of hair to be honest but there's something telling me its not 100% human hair and I don't know how I can prove it or find out :(! I really want to know where she has brought the hair from she says she's a 'supplier' of her own hair :S the packets have a basic printed label on them as though they had been taken out of a branded packet and into a plain one with her business name on so people can't see what brand the hair is I'm guessing?

Am I within my rights to ask where ye hair was supplied? But im also thinking if I do she will say its her own brand which clearly can't be because she would have to pick and dye each shade of extensions!?

I don't want to have been ripped off! I don't mind paying the £225 for good lasting quality of hair x

I've had a full head put in there is quite a lot of hair to be honest but there's something telling me its not 100% human hair and I don't know how I can prove it or find out :(! I really want to know where she has brought the hair from she says she's a 'supplier' of her own hair :S the packets have a basic printed label on them as though they had been taken out of a branded packet and into a plain one with her business name on so people can't see what brand the hair is I'm guessing?

Am I within my rights to ask where ye hair was supplied? But im also thinking if I do she will say its her own brand which clearly can't be because she would have to pick and dye each shade of extensions!?

I don't want to have been ripped off! I don't mind paying the £225 for good lasting quality of hair x

Is that £225 just for the hair? x

Is that £225 just for the hair? x

The hair and fitting why is that cheap lol? I want to know where the hair was from to send a sample in and get it checked because I don't think it's fully 100% human and if I give it to her to do I know she wouldn't send it off she'd just say they said it wasn't a problem with the hair! I've messaged her telling her and she asked if I had changed my products etc I explained no and her reply was I can remove them if you want but be sure it's not any other reaction because I don't want to take them out and you find out that it's a different cause, I really don't know what i should/can do! X

Last edited:
I'm sorry hun but yes... my lowest (but still very good quality) range starts at nearly double that... and that's for 16" where as I think it's safe to say you have more than that there.

How does the hair behave after being straightened? Not that it will help with your reaction but it may tell you if there has been anything synthetic added to the hair.
Then again it's very very rare for anyone to react to synthetic hair as it is just a form of plastic... it would be much more likely that you are reacting to a chemical used in either the stripping process or colour saturation.
Or even something that has been used to imitate and preserve good condition of the hair.

x

It costs more than £225 to get hair tested. Surely your own common sense told you that you will not get a good set of 20" hair ext for that money?
You are either allergic to the metal in the micro rings, which is common, or the dye used on the hair, or the hair has been heavily coated with silicon.
You need to get them out ASAP and put it down to experience.
If you still want ext, seek out a hairdresser who uses either raccoon method, or ballmain method, as no metal is used.

As a rough guide, a good head of 20" ext should start at around £400 in a cheaper salon. In a good London salon, £7-800 is normal.

Latest posts

Back