Handing Notice In????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweetcorn1

Reaction score
Oh god guys I am bricking it!!!! :eek:

I have worked at my current salon since I left school 8 YEARS AGO!!!! Well the time has come to move on and I have to hand my notice in.

The thing is I don't know what to do or how to go about it.:!:

I know I have to make it official and write a letter of resignation but what do I put in it?

Also when do I do it? The beginning or end of the day? In front of everyone or with my boss alone? On Saturday so I can have a day off before I have to see collegues again or on Friday and then I can explain to the other staff the next day why I'm leaving?

I am so scared and I don't know how my boss will be as she has been burnt by stylists poaching customers before so mite not let me work my notice. I hope that doesn't happen because I hope she trusts me not to do that.

I know she won't want me telling clients but I also feel I have a loyalty to them so feel I wanna say bye to some of them. I don't want them just turning up and being told I'm not there. I wanna explain.

This is so hard and I'm upset:cry:

How much notice do you have to give?
I'd have a quiet word with the boss rather than do it in front of other staff tbh.

i agree with Judy~ a quiet moment with the boss in her office would be professional and business like.

something simple just to state the facts: I, Sweetcorn am giving notice of ____ weeks of my resignation from (salon name) on this date____.

It doesn't have to be anything fancy. Just state the facts hun. Remember to type your name and then sign it also along with the current date you hand it in.

Good luck. :hug:

I always think it's nice to say in a letter of resignation a few words of thanks and to wish them well for the future. It's never easy handing your notice in, but we all do at some stage. I agree to take your boss to one side and let her know, and then tell the staff afterwards.

It's never easy handing in your notice, no matter whether you feel comfortable or uncomfortable with your current employment.

I'd have a quiet word with the boss first, follow that up with confirmation in simple letter format and then tell the staff and clients.

Thanks guys, you have just comfirmed what I was thinking.

The only thing is it is a small salon and the boss doesn't have an office!!! So this makes it difficult to get her on her own. Oh i'm dreading it. :-(

Thanks guys, you have just comfirmed what I was thinking.

The only thing is it is a small salon and the boss doesn't have an office!!! So this makes it difficult to get her on her own. Oh i'm dreading it. :-(

Why not ask her if you can have a chat in private after the salon has closed?

I know how difficult it can be, I've been there myself, but if you plan in advance what to say it should be a bit easier. Then take a deep breath and just go for it.

Good luck!

Love the avatar, by the way!!:lol:

I'd have my letter ready to give to her after I broke the news. From my experience as soon as you start to speak, she'll know what's coming next, she might even be expecting it.

Depending on the salon she may or may not expect you to work your notice, check your contract about notice periods and whether you will be paid for it whether you are expected to work it or not.

I know what you mean about telling clients, but the clients belong to the salon and if you were to tell them that you're leaving and where you are going, it could look like you are trying to poach them, which obviously the salon owner wouldn't want to happen.

Good luck xxx

Dear sweetcorn I know how your tummy is churning , but am sure it will be ok :hug:

Just a few things to think about before you go ahead ,
Sometimes working through your notice can be hard on your nerves ,

and if things don't feel right, or they're making it hard for you ,
make sure you know in advance where all your stuff is In case you need to leave in a hurry,
Then just quietly collect your things and walk out .
( You can talk at a later date when things cool down )

I have had this happen to me and there is nothing worse than having to go back for stuff .

You sound like a decent and honest person , She should treat you with respect.
as you have treated her .

Your boss sounds pretty ok though ,from what you have said she seem a good one,

I am just painting the worst scenario so you can be mentally prepared ,
as it always helps to have a back up plan if things do go pear shaped.

Remember for your boss to have a salon she must have left a salon or two in the past so I'm sure she will understand .
awwe sweetcorn good luck and let us know how you get on:hug:

Oh thanks Minky you are very kind.

I have already written a list of what things I need to take with me! and have even already taken some things I knew they wouldn't notice gone!!!!

Thanks guys for your support, it means a lot. I will keep you posted. xXx

hI

You might want to say thank you for my training, your support and encouragement over the past 8 years. after all this lady gave you your chance, shes trained you and kept you in a job for 8 years. You have given 8 years loyal service so dont want to leave on bad terms x

I would ask if you could have a private word and give her your letter of resignation, if she dosnt want you to work your notice thats fine but she will have to pay you for it.

HTH

Well I did it and Yes it was as horrid as I thought it would be!!!

She was very very quiet but didn't put up a fight or say good luck or anything. Things have been ok since but this next few weeks are gonna be awkward.

Never mind. I'll be sad to leave but i'm excited.

Rouge, I picked that pic cos it looks just like my cat!!!!

Well I did it and Yes it was as horrid as I thought it would be!!!

She was very very quiet but didn't put up a fight or say good luck or anything. Things have been ok since but this next few weeks are gonna be awkward.

Never mind. I'll be sad to leave but i'm excited.

Rouge, I picked that pic cos it looks just like my cat!!!!

Hi sweetcorn Brave gal ,
we are all here if you need some moral support ,
Just keep your chin up hun and keep your calm if there are any awkward situations ( hopefully not ) as you will then handle them better, I really hope everything gos ok , please let us Know :hug:

Well done sweetcorn. You have done it, and I bet you feel better for it. :hug:

As you know I am in the same situation as you. I have written about it in my journal.

I am due back in work on Wednesday , and I still havent told her I'm not going back.
I just dont know how to tell her. She is going to be left high and dry. Its not my style to leave someone in this position, but I am so desperate to get away I dont care any more.
Good luck for your next venture sweetcorn. xxxxxxxxxxxx:hug:

Now you can breathe again. Hang in there. Being a salon owner myself. It is upsetting to us when we do get a stylist giving notice. No one likes it.
Hopefully , she won't give you a hard time while you are still there. But you can bet your bottom dollar , she is going to be keeping a eye and ear on you.

I know she will be watching/listening and thats whats hard. She isn't letting me tell any customers i'm leaving. I just have to book them in and pretend i'll see them in a month and thats what i'm finding hard. I feel 2 faced and nasty lying to them when i've known them for 8 years.

Its such a horrid feeling everytime a customer leaves, I just feel like someone has kicked me in the stomach. :cry: I don't wanna pinch them i just feel i wanna be honest so they know I won't be there next time they come and thats the last time i'll ever see them.

The thought that they mite think bad of me next time they turn up and find out I lied to them is killing me. :cry:

I know the boss/colleagues won't stick up for me and explain that I didn't lie on purpose and that I wasn't allowed to tell them. They will just let customers think ill of me and that upsets me.

I don't know how i'm gonna get through this next 2 weeks.

WHAT???? She won't allow the clients to know?? That is insane!!
Wow , to think this way Sweetcorn, I would be very leery. She could come back saying that you just up and left the salon. This would not do your reputation any good.

Do you know any of the clients first and last name? Then you could look them up in the phone directory and call them personally from home and explain.

Either that, or just tell them anyways What is she going to do..fire you???

Thats what my husband thinks I should do!!!

I'm really stuck i just don't know what the hell to do. I'm not a happy bunny at the moment.

WHAT???? She won't allow the clients to know?? That is insane!!
Wow , to think this way Sweetcorn, I would be very leery. She could come back saying that you just up and left the salon. This would not do your reputation any good.

Do you know any of the clients first and last name? Then you could look them up in the phone directory and call them personally from home and explain.

Totally agree with JDs , you are an honest person ,
and she is making you tell lies:irked:
well maybe you can tell all the big blabby ones that you are leaving it will soon get around oops LOL
Seriously just tell them you are leaving , as Jds says what can she do ?
she is not respecting you and your feelings by making you lie ,
Be nice to all and just tell it like it is ,
The plain old truth, honesty is the best policy :hug:

Bye the way sweetcorn ,
Just thought what about your reference though , tricky ,
we will all have to start thinking again now

I don't think I need a reference. As far as I know new boss has never mentioned getting in touch with my old boss.

So hopefully I should be ok on that front and we won't have to put our thinking caps on again just yet!!!!

Thankyou guys, you don't know what its meant to me having your advise and support at this horrid time. x

Latest posts

Back