Hard wax for Brazillians?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeybee83

Reaction score
Hiya Geeks

Ok, so i do my own wazing including my brazillian, my question is about hard wax. I want to let you know also that i am a nail tech and not an esthetician, that's why i have the question! i am sure that during school you learn about waxes! LOL
So, i have used sugar, and hard wax for my brazillians. The issue is with hard wax, i find it very hard ( and painful) to try and pick up a little edge of the wax to rip it off. There must be a method to hard wax that i have not heard about LOL
So, if someone could let me know how to master hard wax, that would be great...or maybe shhould just stick to sugaring ( i am not very hairy) Also, i saw some honey wax at the beauty suppliers and was wondering if anyone has any advice for "honey wax" for brazillians.
Ok...thanks in advance! :)

I used to only ever use hard wax many moons ago. The idea is to have it overlapping a hairless bit which is where you would pick it up but you shouldn't overlap too much on a bit you have just waxed sounds complicated but its not.You can also trim with small scissors along the edge of the wax.
I now use a cream wax for bikinis and also do my own with it.I would say i have no better results or less pain with hot wax.I know many advocate only hot wax for the bikini area but for me its not cost effective and i get along fine with creme.
You use honey wax in the same way as strip sugar wax.

Yes I use creme wax as well and have never had any problems with it. A Hollywood or Brazilian is gonna hurt whatever you use!

I am trained in waxing but not brazilians, although I have been a model on teacher training for this and listened carefully to all the instructions. I only do Brazilians on myself and always used to use hard wax. However, since using oil prior to waxing I find it is less painful and quicker using strip method with warm wax. I have ditched my hard wax as I have got into some 'sticky' situations b4 now and I am amazed how easy it is to wax the bikini area if you apply a little oil beforehand. Try it - its a lot easier.
I know exactly what you mean about flicking the edge of the hard wax (ouch).

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think i will try the warm strip wax...i think it is the easiest. I had heard at one time that hot wax was the best for bikini/brazillians because it was the best way to remove the hair, but if the strip wax (creme, honey, ect.) removes the hair just as well, then that is what i will use as i find it easiest. Thanks again geeks! :hug:

Hi Honeybee,

Use the system you feel most comfortable with, whether that's strip wax, hard wax or sugaring - you will get better results with something you feel confident using, and the bikini area isn't somewhere you want to start experimenting with a new waxing product! :lol:

Having said that, I'd like to share a few tips for using hard wax which might make things easier should you decide to give it a go in the future :D

• Use a low temperature hard wax that stays flexible rather than going brittle as it cools - this will make it easier and less painful to remove.
  • Whether using hard or strip wax, apply a small amount of oil to the area beforehand - this stops the wax from sticking to the skin and makes the whole process a whole lot more bearable! You only need a light smear, as if you use too much of it the wax will just slide right off - if this happens, blot the excess oil with a tissue and try again.
  • Until you get the hang of removing long strips of hard wax in stages, apply your product in smaller strips as it makes it easier to keep the skin braced as you rip it off.
  • Use firm pressure when applying the hard wax - it's texture and application is slightly thicker than strip wax, and you want to use enough pressure to push the product right down to the surface of the skin. This ensures all of the hair is coated and therefore gets gripped tightly by the wax as it cools, which will give you a nice clean result when removed.
  • Follow the same rules of applying with the direction of hair growth and removing against. Some technicians like to "swirl" the wax back against the direction of growth so that the hairs get a really good coating, but this shouldn't be necessary unless the hairs are very short or if you're finding it's not all coming out first time.
  • You want the edges of your strip to be slightly thicker so that the wax doesn't split when you take it off. This is especially true of the end you lift first to start the removal - build up the product so that you have a decent "lip" of wax to pick up, which will make your job easier. The beauty with hard wax is that you can go back to a strip that's on the skin and add more if it needs building up.
  • The hard wax will go slightly dull as it sets (takes about a minute). If it's still too gummy when you try to take it off, leave it a few seconds longer or you'll pull the skin and wind up with bruises.
  • Wherever possible, the edge that you start the rip from should overlap onto a hairfree area, as Gillian said. If this isn't possible, make sure you are firm and fast with your first flick to get that edge up! Brace the skin tightly, flick up an edge, then use this to remove your strip as normal.
  • You can also use the end of a clean spatula to flick up a corner (be firm!), or press the hair-free side of a recently removed hard wax strip into the end of a strip that hasn't quite set yet, which will effectively give you a "handle" to use (hope that makes sense!).
Hope that helps. I love my hard wax and wouldn't be without it, but use whatever works best for you and you'll get the results :)

Andy x

an alternative way of getting the hot wax off instead of flicking the end up is to spread the wax on the area, put a little bit of wax on your fingers and quickly press your fingers FIRMLY into the wax and hold it until it sets. Then when it has hardened, pull your fingers off against the direction of hair growth, the wax should stick to your fingers so you take the wax off with you. I find this much less painful. Takes a little bit of practice though!

Try putting a piece of muslin there before applying your wax then you'll have the muslin strip to hang on to. I've not tried this, I've read it somewhere.

aj

I do all my own waxing too, including brazillian, and i use hot wax. ie: non strip wax. I hav the temperature just hot enough so the wax is really thick and not too hot for the sensitive skin. I put quite a lot of wax on and weave a figure of 8 so that it collects all the hairs. Then really let it set. Because it is thicker you should be able to flick up an edge to then pull off.
It is painful but in my opinion, well worth the pain !!!

Try putting a piece of muslin there before applying your wax then you'll have the muslin strip to hang on to. I've not tried this, I've read it somewhere.

aj
using the small piece of muslin or paper creates a lip for the wax to sit on thus enabling you to have an edge of wax that isn't stuck to the skin and making it easier for you to then rip wax off of the skin.HTH

Would you say that hard wax is more cost efficient?

aj

Would you say that hard wax is more cost efficient?

aj

A lot would depend on the area being waxed, how much you charge for your service, and how confident/skilled you are with the product.

Gram for gram, hard wax tends to cost a little more than strip wax as it is applied slightly thicker and takes longer to dry before you can remove it (the trick is to apply several strips at once so you're not waiting around for areas to dry).

In the hands of a skilled technician, both hard wax and strip wax will yield good profit margins when used appropriately.

Andy x

Back