Harrassment from another therapist.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menszone

Reaction score
Hi there I'm very new to this industry and recently qualified in waxing although I've been in Complementary Health for a few years now. I'm a guy and have recently put a brief advert on Gumtree offering my waxing services while my website is being organised. I received an initial enquiry but then this changed to ''friendly'' warnings as they said I should be registered. They've assumed I'm not!
This has continued off and on and they've said they are a salon owner in my area and that they will be reporting me to the Inland Revenue. For what I really don't know. I've probably added fuel to the fire by engaging them and accusing them of being gutless as they seem to be hiding behind their little txt messages.
Can anyone advise me, is this type of behaviour in this industry normal? I'm baffled :lol:

Wow seems very extreme, Sounds to me like its a random no one giving you grief not a fellow therapist. Don't responde for a start thats all their after and secondy let them report you! whats that going to acheive? you havent got any thing to hide so dont be worried :)

I have had a lot of hassle off another therapist on gumtree too. Seems they are worried about the competition, this girl even took an add out just to call me and my business. the therapist will get bored and dont stop what your doing, keep strong and she will go away eventually, some people have no idea when it comes to business and competition, as long as you are doing the right things with insurance etc then you can sleep well at night. x

Some idiot has obviously got a lot of time on their hands.

Ignore them and they'll get bored and stop. I had a couple of little things when i started out, fake bookings and a fake letter of complaint, off someone that doesn't exist but i'm 99% positive it was my previous salon. I ignored it and it soon stopped.

What a pain for you though!

Good luck with your new venture. I'm sure you'll get off to a great start. I actually had a lot of men ring when i advertised on gum tree for intimate waxing but i don't do that. I'm quite near London so hopefully you'll get the same xx

If you offer male massages your in for a treat advertising them on gumtree.. as long as you mention their nothing intimate!!!LOL

I started offering massage and put it on gumtree i got 8 men in 1 day! i thought wow if i trained in full body did 8 men a day that's like £200 if i was to charge just £25 each!!

I had another therapist copy my advert word for word on the Bradford gumtree site. I threatened her with court action and she re-worded her advert (which was laced with spelling mistakes lol). I've also have some copy my website yes all of it, I also too had to contact them to say please change it.

Why people don't just get a brain to design their own advert I really don't know. What goes around comes around tho!:lol:

Have you reported your problem to Gumtree? they maybe able to help you.

Save and print all texts and emails etc although this may not develop into anything, but if it does you have all the evidence. Do NOT answer them!

Someone is jealous and being very childish I would not worry.

gumtree are not much help, believe me, if anything they were telling me to change my advertising when it happened! stand your ground.

also yes def make it clear the massage IS NOT INTIMATE! I dont advertise my massage yet however i got a call at 430 am last thursday asking me to go round now and what would it cost for the extras!!! cheeky! although he said he was happy to pay as much as they cost! lol

I have had a lot of hassle off another therapist on gumtree too. Seems they are worried about the competition, this girl even took an add out just to call me and my business. the therapist will get bored and dont stop what your doing, keep strong and she will go away eventually, some people have no idea when it comes to business and competition, as long as you are doing the right things with insurance etc then you can sleep well at night. x

I remember seeing this but I didn't see your name or business be mentioned. I think it was more the fact that you were copying the other advertisers adverts and that she then put on a message to her customers not to be confused by another advertiser copying her advertising. Then didn't you place an another advert saying that customers should check to see if the advertiser was actually qualified even though she never actually mentioned YOU. So maybe that is why gumtree asked you to change your advert. Your still doing it now and even copying her prices.

I mean actually how busy are you as you seem to have a lot of answers on here posted most days and nights and do you have the experience to be giving people so much advice.

Last edited:
gumtree are not much help, believe me, if anything they were telling me to change my advertising when it happened! stand your ground.

also yes def make it clear the massage IS NOT INTIMATE! I dont advertise my massage yet however i got a call at 430 am last thursday asking me to go round now and what would it cost for the extras!!! cheeky! although he said he was happy to pay as much as they cost! lol

I'll make you right there! They are hopeless! They never respond to your emails!
I have stopped advertising on there now. I had a bloke ring me up (before I started to offer massage). He phoned on a private number,as they do and was saying it didn't matter if I wasn't qualified as he was sure that i could put a massage together...and what would I be wearing! He started calling me all sorts of hours. Gumtree didn't even get back to me!
There's plenty of other places to advertise. I'd rather stay away from Gumtree if i'm honest. It's becoming a seedy place to advertise xxx

Joe Bloggs, lol? Did you join especially just to post that message?

Kelshah, I think your 'Gumtree Rival' has found you :lol:... it's not anyone else's business how busy or qualified you are and keep posting, love, I invariably find your answers helpful.

On a serious note, I love coming to this site as it provides invaluable information, insight and experience from a lovely bunch of people. People who respond negatively just get in the way of my enjoyment!

Hope everyone has a good day.

Take care, MrsMac

PS pricing can't be copied, can it? Isn't that price matching?

Joe Bloggs, lol? Did you join especially just to post that message?

Kelshah, I think your 'Gumtree Rival' has found you :lol:... it's not anyone else's business how busy or qualified you are and keep posting, love, I invariably find your answers helpful.

On a serious note, I love coming to this site as it provides invaluable information, insight and experience from a lovely bunch of people. People who respond negatively just get in the way of my enjoyment!

Hope everyone has a good day.

Take care, MrsMac

PS pricing can't be copied, can it? Isn't that price matching?

yes i did join today, well spotted! and i'm nothing to do with the a rival, i also use gumtree and somebody's got to point out the crap that's been posted on here.

Last edited:
yes i did join today, well spotted! somebody's got to point out the crap that's been posted on here.
If you have a problem with anything or anyone on this site then please use the correct route to complain by clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Also please remember that to have a valid argument you need to have proof!

Now... back onto the topic please... :wink2:

If you have a problem with anything or anyone on this site then please use the correct route to complain by clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. Also please remember that to have a valid argument you need to have proof!

Now... back onto the topic please... :wink2:

I thought the topic was about gumtree and that's what i posted about. Maybe your members should write the truth then i wouldn't have had to waste my time joining this site.

Wasn't difficult to spot, Joe, just obvious.

I think we are all adults here and can make up our own minds but remember, one person's crap is another person's treasure.... :)

Sorry, no more posts unless they are on topic (feeling suitably chastened:o but loving getting to use emoticons :lol::biggrin: - now, forget harrassment, that's really sad!).

Once again, have a fab day, peeps.

Take care, Jacquie

Reminder of the Geek Commandments:

http://www.salongeek.com/how-do-stuff-site/31101-commandments-geek.html

especially this one:

This is not the place to bitch and moan about proper nouns (i.e. People or companies). That doesn't mean that you can't debate, question or raise a valid point. It means that I don't want to see threads about how x sucks.

oh and this one too:

3 - Thou shalt Private Message if thy post is for one person.
Posts like 'hey sally, give me a buzz' is like texting 10,000 people in hopes that one of them will be the person you are trying to talk to. If your message is for 1 person, PM it. If its for more, post it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back