Headless chicken

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vixmg

Reaction score
Hi
Im about to open a salon for the first time and really do not have a clue how much to charge for treatments. Im going to be doing facials, mani/pedi, waxing, eyelash/eyebrow tint. If anyone can give me any help at all I would be so so grateful. Im running around like the proverbial headless chicken and I just know Im going to forget something or do something wrong.

Thanks

Vicky:eek:

Hi
Depending on which products your using . yu should have ana ccount manager. They will advise you of their recomended pricing structure for treatments and products etc. Giving you a good idea of what you potentialy can charge for your services.

Good luck

Ksibet 5031:lol:

Best thing you can do is phone around at salons in your area and see what people are charging or pop into them and get a price list or check some out on the internet get an idea of what products they are using etc etc...

i think it depends on your ability , your expertise and the products you are using to be honest

what products where you thinking of using?
how much skill and expertise have you got?
are you going to be employing other technicians/therapists who could maybe charge more/less?
how quick are you at the treatments?

have you got someone else to help you with all this?

Hi
Im newly qualified and dont have that much expertise just yet. I am going to be using the Eve Taylor products and will be working on my own so I need to be able to do a treatment quickly and as good as I can. Im practising as much as possible until I open in July.

then i think your prices should reflect that you are new
i would not expect to pay the same prices as another salon, and their treatments were done by someone with so many yrs experience ,
i dont mean for this to sound rude or harsh
have you thought of taking an experienced therapist on?
so you can stagger your prices maybe?
and you can learn salon experience from her??
sorry clutching at straws here,
as i thought you would say you were so many yrs expreienced etc as to opening a salon ,and working on your own is a lot harder than it sounds believe me

will you have a receptionist?
i wish you luck in this and apologies if i sound negative i dont mean to come across like that x

I would say if you can do the treatments well then charge full wack if not maybe you should think about getting some more experience before you open a salon. I am not trying to be negative but you really want to think about your reputation. People will be expecting as near to perfect treatment when spending money on beauty and if you can't offer this you will not be able to sustain the business. Once you have a reputation for under-par treatments people you will not gain new clients and if your customers are not happy they will not return.

If however you are up to scratch on everything then price yourself according to your market. :hug: For all I know you may be excellent but I am guessing as you have posted this that you may not have a business plan? :hug: It took me a year of working for someone else to master all the treatments.

Honestly hun, learn to walk before trying to run,
this is a cut throat business and there are salons on every street,
you are not even qualified yet and you are planning on opening a salon,
do you have a client list that you know will come to you regular?
do you have lots of money behind you to pay the overheads when you have had a bad week?,
can you survive without taking a wage for at least the first year or longer?,
you don't have any knowledge of specific professional brands other than what you are using in college and believe me these are not the best you can use, clients will ask you a 101 questions about everything that you go near them with,
the more knowledgeable you are about a product the more that client will trust you and you have to be 100% confident in every treatment that you offer, you need to know all the different ways of doing something because once you are working on the general public you will come up against all sorts of problems and you have to work out a way immediately of treating these safely and you wont have a tutor there to guide you when you are stuck,
i would say put the salon on the back burner for 12 months or so and rent a room or space some where to build up your confidence, knowledge and clients,
none of this is meant nasty at all, it is all from experience and knowledge of running my own salon,
you risk losing a lot of money if it all goes wrong hth

Hi
Im about to open a salon for the first time and really do not have a clue how much to charge for treatments. Im going to be doing facials, mani/pedi, waxing, eyelash/eyebrow tint. If anyone can give me any help at all I would be so so grateful. Im running around like the proverbial headless chicken and I just know Im going to forget something or do something wrong.

Thanks

Vicky:eek:

Vicky

There is some good advice on this thread. I think you need to sit down and come up with a plan that is affordable, achievable and successful for you.

You are currently giving yourself every opportunity to fail and the slimmest of chances to succeed.

You need to improve both your business skills and your technical skills and you need to do this in a low pressure environment.

I'd strongly advise you not to open a salon and instead become a skilled technician and do the necessary research to be able to successfully launch your business.

As someone else says, walk before you can run. There are many geeks out there that will be able to help you develop your career.

I'm sorry if this isn't what you want to hear but I'd much rather you succeed in this business and to do that you need more planning.

Regards

Mike

Hi
I just wanted to say thanks for your advice. Ive got a lot to think about by the looks of it.
Ive done lots of reading up on products and I eventually chose Eve Taylor. I won't be working in the salon all week but only on a couple of days as I have another job so I will be able to support myself financially whilst I gain experience. Im hoping to do some training in a salon too to give myself all the help I can. Im not sure if what I am doing is enough or maybe I should just throw the towel in and not bother. As you said I may be setting myself up to fail and I dont want to do that.

Thanks once again.

Vicky

I'll just give you my week then maybe you can understand what we're saying a lil better first you need to take the monthly amount you spend on rent, rates, loan repayment, insurance, wages, telephone, electricity, and monthly use of products, say that works out to be €8000 (i'm in euro) times by 12 mths that €96000 per year then divide by 52 wks per year €1846.15 - can you afford this? put on top, advertising, wear n tear, accessories you may need, tea, coffee new mop etc it works out to be alot. This does not include my personal home rent, mobile phone bill or car repayments.
add to this - working all day, cashing up at end of day being tired but cant go home till app book balances, going home to messy house, doing it agian next day or even longer as its the late night. Staff go home 6 on dot as they dont care bout your salon as much as you do. sounds grim but that's how it goes - ontop of their wages I also pay a contribution to their tax and at the end of every month must give back my income tax wether I have it or not. I dont get paid and work as an Educator teaching ITEC mani/pedi n Nail Technology I love it but ontop of my 51 hrs (not including opening 15 mins b4 or closing l8r) I'm doing 7 extra hours per wk plus travel time. i do about a 70 hr wk for 2 days wages. i love what I do and now my salon is fab
Hope this helps

Latest posts

Back